Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Andy Pollow

Has anyone ever tried picking in circles with the wrist? Not index and thumb.

I found it last summer and forgot cuz I stopped playing for 4 months untill 2 weeks ago. I was doing that great last night but I thought maybe its cuz I was really warmed up. Then I was shredding Yngwie like that really good without even warming up in the morning. It looks like your mixing waving and knocking on a door. It feels really loose and comfortable and just a tiny bit faster. You might learn that by doing circles with the fingers alot first and then just do the same thing with the wrist. That might be what Yngwie is doing and he dosent even know thats how he does it.
Andy Pollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

I remember reading Jake E Lee picks like that or something.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Andy Pollow

Quote:
I remember reading Jake E Lee picks like that or something.

He did? Cool. Ive always liked Jake E Lee. More than Randy Rhoads. Or Zak.

When I put my ring finger down and knock on a door the finger sticks in one place but when I do circles with the wrist it slides on the guitar exactly like Yngwie's ring finger. I think that is what hes doing. Its still workin great for me. I was playing bark at the moon as fast? almost as fast? as I used to with the elbow. With wrist circles. And it feels really loose.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
hansome21
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pollow
He did? Cool. Ive always liked Jake E Lee. More than Randy Rhoads. Or Zak.

Really... Are you pulling my leg?

REALLY?!
hansome21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
cooper1965

I just recently started doing this by accident sort of. I read somewhere about "circular picking" and decided to try it out. I didn't realize you are suposed to use your fingers , and I made the circle motion with my wrist. It really seems to help me glide over the strings in fast passages. I wonder if this technique is worth exploring on a regular basis, or if I should quite immediately in order to stop a bad habit before it starts.??
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Andy Pollow

Quote:
Really... Are you pulling my leg?

REALLY?!

Yeah really but I do like Randy alot.

Quote:
I wonder if this technique is worth exploring on a regular basis, or if I should quite immediately in order to stop a bad habit before it starts.??
12-04-2012 03:00 PM

I dont know dude. There are so many ways - Ive seen alot and Ive done alot. Im not sure if any are bad really. I used to think elbow is bad but I dont know - Impellitirri, Vinnie Moore ( old 80's ), Rusty Cooley, .... I used to think index and thumb isnt fast enough but now Ive seen a few Japanese shredders on youtube picking extremly fast with index and thumb. I think you can pick any way you want if you practise it alot.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
cooper1965

After further review, I should note that my thumb seems to be slightly bending with the movement as well as my wrist making the circular movement. Thumb bends on the up stroke, straightens out on the down stroke..... More insight on this?
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: