Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Brenkin

Where to go from here?

I've been playing guitar for about 6 months now, and I really enjoy it. I've been slowly but surely progressing, and now I can play a basic set of chords (G, C, Dsus4, E, F Major, etc.) but I haven't really been progressing past that.

I see my friends that can play guitar, and they can play solos, they can hit these single notes and switch keys like it's nothing.

How should I begin to learn guitar like these? Lately I've been sticking to basic chords, and I really want to get past that.

Where should I go from here? I tried playing a solo but I found it much too difficult, I couldn't get it at all and ended up getting frustrated and quit. I want to play stuff like Blink-182.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Brenkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Captshiznit

Start by learning your 5 Pentatonic shapes,

Go on youtube and look up A minor pentatonics.

Learn all 5 of the shapes, move between them fluidly and know where root notes are.
Captshiznit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captshiznit

Learn all 5 of the shapes, move between them fluidly and know where root notes are.

Don't learn shapes. Learn theory.
Oh, and don't use tabs. Use your ear.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
Bad Kharmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
Don't learn shapes. Learn theory.
Oh, and don't use tabs. Use your ear.

don't listen to this it will limit your progress
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captshiznit

This is entirely pointless to learn unless you understand how and why to apply it, which i'm positive 6months in you wont know, nor will you want to know it.

You say you want to learn Blink 182.. Then go play some Blink 182. It's not exactly a technically demanding band like Dream Theater for instance so it's nothing a beginner can't hope to achieve to play after some nice practice.

There's no point playing something you don't enjoy.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Kharmel
don't listen to this it will limit your progress

Care to elaborate?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Geldin

Quote:
Care to elaborate?

Early on, shapes and tabs are the bread-and-butter of your learning materials. Down the road, it's ideal to be able to transcribe by ear and to know the theory behind the scale shapes you use, but that's down the road. When you first start, trying to take all that in will just be overwhelming.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Quote:
Care to elaborate?

I sort of see where he's coming from. If the TC is impressed by people playing single notes and after 6 months still can't play Blink 182 songs, then I assume he's self taught, in which case, him trying to learn theory will be disastrous, personally, I think step one is getting a guitar teacher, failing that, a new guitar teacher, at 6 months, I was learning songs I loved and was making real progress into getting the solos down, so there's got to a change in how they're learning. Regarding using your ear, I think that's irrelevant until you learn your instrument, otherwise you're basically flailing around until you find the right notes.

I'd recommend, as mentioned before, getting guitar lessons, and not giving up. I've been playing for five years, and over that time my tastes have really shifted to more technical stuff. You need to be persistent, to put it into perspective, there are licks in my repertoire that taught me a month or more to get down perfectly, so that's what's to come if you want to keep improving. If you want to start learning a style of guitar, start learning it, start at the bottom and work your way up.

If you want a very basic start to soloing, there are some very easy solos, I've not well versed in Blink 182, so I can't recommend, however, you can't go wrong with Green Day as an introduction to using single notes and playing solos. Also, Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs is quite a good starter solo. I'd also recommend learning some riffs, a fun way to get out of basic chords, even if you learned the really famous riffs that everyone plays too much you'll come out of it a better guitarist, nowadays you'd never see me playing Sweet Child O Mine, or Breaking The Law, but when I was at your stage, those were the riffs that formed the foundation of how I play today, as they both employ techniques you'd want to learn.

When you've got solid foundations (which Blink will help you build, it's pretty simple), you're then free to shape your playing in any way you'd like, if you've been practicing well, and you mainly do chords, you should at least have a solid rhythm hand to build on, and you can build that into your lead playing when it comes to it.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
bobcrackchuc

Well, Blink in particular is not very difficult. For learning solos, it's like your chords, it's just all about practice. My first solo was Smells Like Teen Spirit. I just kept learning new riffs, and new songs and about two months in I learned Fade to Black and Sanitarium.

I'd say power chords are really important to learn. Lots of bands almost exclusively use power chords. (Nirvana, the Ramones)

But go slow when learning things you aren't too familiar with. When I first started playing, I literally learned 4 notes, practiced those 4 notes for like, a half hour, and move on to the next 4. It took me like, five days to learn a whole thing, haha. If you're looking for some easy solos to get started, here are a few

Smells Like Teen Spirit
Holiday
Highway to Hell
First solo in Sanitarium
In Bloom
First solo in Fade to Black (Take your time on the fast part though)
Eruption (If you learn how to tap)
Back in Black
Smoke on the Water
Californication
Nothing Else Matters
Sunshine of Your Love
Sweet Child O' Mine

You also may want to consider getting a teacher that you're comfortable with. Learn from friends, and don't be afraid to try new techniques and new things.

Good luck!
bobcrackchuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
Brenkin

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, it's really appreciated!

I'm also a big fan of Oasis, they are one of my favourite bands and from what I've heard have some pretty easy to learn tracks as well.

For example this is the solo I was trying to learn and had some difficulty doing: .

But I will definitely take all of your advice in to consideration, and maybe I'll try to find a guitar teacher, I'll have to ask my parents as I'm not in a position financially to pay for one. Other than that, I guess I'll just have to tackle some of the easier to handle solos and practice them to death until I get them right.

Thanks again guys!
Brenkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: