Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Reages

difference between ibanez ts-7 and ts-9, 808

i can get ibanez ts-7 pretty cheaply, is it very different from ts9 or ts8? i will use it to tighten up 6505+ combo, i play metal, metalcore (you know the chug chug stuff)
Reages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
sea`

The TS7 is identical to the TS9 but has a different casing that doesn't look as pretty, as well as a second mode that adds a little more gain and low-end.

The TS-808 is basically a Maxon OD-808, which is the "original" Tube Screamer (Maxon designed and manufactured the pedal for Ibanez for many, many years). Tonally there is a small difference between the TS-9 and TS-808. I'd describe it as there being slightly more midrange and less low end in the 808, and slightly less midrange and more low end in the TS-9. Unless you are really, really paying attention and A/Bing the two, I don't think anyone could reliably tell the difference, especially in a blind comparison.

Here's a video that demonstrates the difference:

Used as a clean boost, the differences between the two are negligible... some people can notice the difference, but it's nothing a miniscule EQ tweak won't change. The "throatier" sound of the 808 translates into a slightly more midrangey sound when played through a distorted tube amp.

This video shows the differences between a TS-9 and OD-808 when used as a boost. They are noticeable to my ears, but only just barely:

If you are set on a TS-808, get an OD-808 instead, as it's half the price. Better yet, get an even cheaper copy - the Bad Monkey, Green Rhino, Greenie Classic etc. are all quite affordable and do the job just as well.

Last edited by sea` : 10-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

I've heard that the difference between a TS9 and a TS808 is two resistor values. Not sure if true though.
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster7
I've heard that the difference between a TS9 and a TS808 is two resistor values. Not sure if true though.

It is two different resistors on the output that make no difference to the sound.
You will find more difference between two TS9's than between a TS9 and a TS-808. Component tolerances make no two pedals exactly the same. People compare two and determine that they sound different but comparing two of the same type can reveal the same type of differences. It's like saying, "the one with the chip in the paint sounded better so chipped paint improves the tone."
Put 5 of each on your board and then get somebody to switch through them without you watching and you won't be able to reliably pick which is which. You'd be just as accurate tossing a coin.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Beezerk

Sorry for the hijack, I currently have a Boss OD-3 which is ok but is a better od pedal (TS9, TS808, MXR GT etc etc) even a Bad Monkey, worth the upgrade? Is it that much of a noticable difference?
I mainly use it as a boost on my high gain setting to tighten things up and add a touch more "tube growl".
Beezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
sea`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerk
Sorry for the hijack, I currently have a Boss OD-3 which is ok but is a better od pedal (TS9, TS808, MXR GT etc etc) even a Bad Monkey, worth the upgrade? Is it that much of a noticable difference?
I mainly use it as a boost on my high gain setting to tighten things up and add a touch more "tube growl".

It will give your sound a slightly different character. Whether it's worth the difference or not is up to you.
sea` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The OD-3 isn't good as a boost, AFAIK. What you want is an SD-1 (as far as Boss goes).

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 POD HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
It is two different resistors on the output that make no difference to the sound.
You will find more difference between two TS9's than between a TS9 and a TS-808. Component tolerances make no two pedals exactly the same. People compare two and determine that they sound different but comparing two of the same type can reveal the same type of differences. It's like saying, "the one with the chip in the paint sounded better so chipped paint improves the tone."
Put 5 of each on your board and then get somebody to switch through them without you watching and you won't be able to reliably pick which is which. You'd be just as accurate tossing a coin.

the best ones come with the old JRC4558's, now that is THE secret to the best tubescreamers

@Beezerk: take your OD-3 to the store and try it against a couple pedals. i have never played the OD-3, but i have played the OD-1 a few times and i thought it was a perfectly fine pedal

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 10-20-2012 at 02:30 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
the best ones come with the old JRC4558's, now that is THE secret to the best tubescreamers

Nah, has to be NOS JRC4558.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote