Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
sennagalous

Negative Feedback

Our singer is always getting negative feedback.. I believe in part because the vocals are the easiest thing to criticize. I took singing lessons for a year and this guy is light years ahead of me. So to get to the point: I'm calling upon you guys as the experts, what is so bad about our singers vocals? Is he too nasally? Is he not nasally enough? Or are people just being dicks to be dicks? www.soundcloud.com/shadowtagsc I think his best song is Echoes, he's a slow starter in that song but I think it's his best. His worst is maybe Ghosts. Any other general feedback on the music is more than welcomed.
sennagalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
Bad Kharmel

he's a little flat from time to time, but the biggest issue is his style/tone, he's not a bad singer but he over does it with this pop-punk sort of accent that sounds forced and a little awkward, and his scoops and high notes aren't very smooth, he can fix it pretty easily though, he just needs to practice through a microphone some more so he can hear what his voice sounds like, and also sing more naturally with a less forced sound
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Listened to Echoes... It seems to me his voice lacks dynamics. Also, I disagree with your assessment of Ghosts. I think that was some of his better work, as he does employ dynamics in his voice.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
sennagalous

Thanks guys! I just recently started coming to the UG forums for advice on the bands behalf and its been simply amazing how much you guys help. If any one else has advice please offer it, also if there's anything I can do to give back let me know. You guys rock!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
HotspurJr

Listening to Echoes, I wonder if he CAN sing full-voiced. He sounds to me like he's putting on airs, trying to sound all raspy, rather than just channeling his natural voice. There are a few notes that beg for him to really nail them, and he doesn't try, which makes me think that he can't.

He just overall sounds very neutral. People want to connect with singers emotionally, and he's so intent on doing that raspy held-back voice thing which doesn't sound like his natural voice, which is going to be very hard to connect with.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
sennagalous

Thanks for the feedback Hotspur. To be honest I'm not sure what to tell him, do I just say he need's to change his tone or should I show him these comment's and let him figure it out. I know it can be discouraging to hear criticism sometimes even if it is constructive. We have a show Friday so I'll wait until after to talk to him about it, but I want to do what it takes to help the band. EDIT: Take a listen to dead mans hand if you would. he sings full voiced in that one. Is that what he should aim for?

Last edited by sennagalous : 08-21-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
sennagalous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Listened to Echoes... It seems to me his voice lacks dynamics. Also, I disagree with your assessment of Ghosts. I think that was some of his better work, as he does employ dynamics in his voice.

Wow you are absolutely correct about Ghosts being better vocally, I hadn't listened to it in so long I had forgotten how good he was in it. Good call! It's just so damn boring to play live.

Rate This Thread: