Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
KrisCurtis23

Would this be a good first guitar?

I want something light and easy to hold. I checked out Gibson's official site and came across an Epiphone SG Express and it's like an SG but smaller? Would it be too small for me? I'm a girl...109 lbs 5'5" or is it made for kids? I really like the way it looks.
KrisCurtis23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
hminh87
Justin here!

It's a kid sized guitar. I would not recommend it as first guitar. If you really want to start playing guitars you should get used to the full-sized instrument at the start. Maybe we can help you find a good confortable guitar. What's your budget and what kind of sound are you after?

• ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
  • ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
  • ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
  • ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
  • Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
  • Tanglewood TW170 AS
  • Vox Tonelab ST
  • Blackstar HT-1R
hminh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
KrisCurtis23

I'm actually on a very low budget... maybe 100-200?

I really like a post punk/alternative sound.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCurtis23
I want something light and easy to hold. I checked out Gibson's official site and came across an Epiphone SG Express and it's like an SG but smaller? Would it be too small for me? I'm a girl...109 lbs 5'5" or is it made for kids? I really like the way it looks.

I'm a dude and have only 2" in height on you. And Kaki King is only 5'1"- and while most famous for playing Ovations, she has ventured into the world of electrics on her last couple of albums.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kak...iw=1024&bih=644

IMHO, you should probably get a full-sized guitar.

That said, there are different scale lengths- 24.75", 25.5", etc.- and body styles that you may find easier & more comfortable than others. If lightness is a real concern for you, there are all kinds of semihollow and hollowbody guitars you might like, as well as guitars with very stripped-down body shapes.

Tell us more about your preferences: preferred musical styles, budget, amp...

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
I'm actually on a very low budget... maybe 100-200?

I really like a post punk/alternative sound.

$200 US dollars? Look for something like a used Tele or LP shaped guitar with P90s.

Another option, if you can find it, is a used Richmond Empire- they come equipped either with 2 P90s or a HB and a P90-like singlecoil. New, they run around $440, used, it should fall into your price range...and be of pretty good quality.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
KrisCurtis23

I'm pretty much a total newbie when it comes to specs and everything about guitars. So I have no idea what I'm looking for...all I know is that I like the sound of the guitar that Bernard Sumner used in the song Transmission from Joy Division.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

According to this site:

http://www.joydiv.org/eqpt.htm

They used simple rigs, and some of their guitars had HBs and some had single coils.

Inexpensive SGs are out there, as noted.

Replicas of the Vox guitars are currently being made by Phantom Guitar works, at list prices between $700-900. (Original Vox versions can cost upwards of $2,200!)

However, you don't need to get the exact kind of guitar to get the same sound. The right mix of amp, effects (and settings!) and guitar (wood, pickups) will let you shape your sound in a variety of ways, and get you close enough.

The bad news: you're not going to get there with just $200. That won't get you a guitar, amp, pedals & cables.

The good news: if you're patient, save your money, and do a bit of research, you may be able to nail the tone you seek over time for less money than it may seem would be possible as you take advantage of deals. In addition, you'll also be able to refine and articulate your taste.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-24-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
KrisCurtis23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
According to this site:

http://www.joydiv.org/eqpt.htm

They used simple rigs, and some of their guitars had HBs and some had single coils.

Inexpensive SGs are out there, as noted.

Replicas of the Vox guitars are currently being made by Phantom Guitar works, at list prices between $700-900. (Original Vox versions can cost upwards of $2,200!)

However, you don't need to get the exact kind of guitar to get the same sound. The right mix of amp, effects (and settings!) and guitar (wood, pickups) will let you shape your sound in a variety of ways, and get you close enough.

What are rigs, HBs and single coils?
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
What are rigs, HBs and single coils?

Rig = amplifier (amp) and effects pedals

HBs = Humbucking guitar pickups

Single coils = single coil pickups

P90 = a kind of single coil pickup

Pickup = the magnetic devices on a gear that translate string movement into an electrical signal for the amp to turn into the sounds coming out of its speaker

Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Having just listened to "Transmission"- hadn't heard it for a while- my guess is that they recorded it using one of their single-coil guitars. However, copping some of their other tones- and those of other indie/new wave/punk bands- would require a humbucker.

Stratocasters and Telecasters are the most famous single-coil guitars out there, but there are lots of others.

Given what you want, I'd look for either something with:

1) only single-coils

2) only P90s

3) a humbucker in the bridge and either single-coils or a P90 in the neck

The reason I bring up P90s is that sonically, they behave somewhere between humbuckers and regular singlecoils. That means they can give you a lot of tonal flexibility while exploring the music of your favorite bands.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
J_W

Have you played the guitar at all yet? I mean, do you know that you're going to stick with it if you do buy a guitar?

Check out the Epiphone SG Special. It's under $200 and while it's not great by any stretch it will serve you well as a beginner guitar and you can always get something else down the road if you get more serious.

Here is a link to it on the guitar center site.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...124&cagpspn=pla
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
KrisCurtis23

Alright then. Thanks for all the help guys! looks like I'll look for something else then.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz

Since you're new, you REALLY should go to a guitar store and try out a variety of guitars to find out what feels comfortable to you.

You'll also notice that you can find a variety of pickup configurations in any given body style, though not necessarily within the same maker.

For instance, the SG body shape from most makers typically has 2 or 3 HBs, but there are also versions with P90s instead.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
KrisCurtis23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Since you're new, you REALLY should go to a guitar store and try out a variety of guitars to find out what feels comfortable to you.

You'll also notice that you can find a variety of pickup configurations in any given body style, though not necessarily within the same maker.

For instance, the SG body shape from most makers typically has 2 or 3 HBs, but there are also versions with P90s instead.

Yeah I think that would be a good idea. I'm just gonna right everything you listed down and show my local guitar shop.

thanks again for helping a newbie out
Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
dannyalcatraz

Just remember- patience is your friend! It took me a couple of years for me to find the right first electric for me- I already had a pair of acoustics- and I had a music teacher help guide me though part of my search.

(...and while I was looking, I was saving my $$$...)

Happy hunting!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #16
Alucard817

You might want to check out Daisy rock guitars. I know they go used for dirt cheap.

They're lighter in weight and they have slimmer necks. They bill themselves as a "girl guitar company". Personally i wouldn't mind owning some of them myself.

http://www.daisyrock.com/

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: