Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #141
kalasjnikaj

Is this the thread where I can ask the moderators to think outside the US and UK music box?

I submitted 2 songs (swedish and norweigan) but they where declined, and I wonder why. My guess is that it's not in the english language, or am I wrong?

Maybe there is a way to have this answer when declining a submission.
kalasjnikaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #142
Ximich
UG Developer

kalasjnikaj, you can make appeal (just hit on "Appeal" button on your tab) and your tab will review by other moderator/contributors.

Last edited by Ximich : 07-11-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Ximich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #143
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.

I'm not too sure where to post this, but I'm just wondering about the width marker in the tab submission page, I'm having some trouble understanding whether the red line indicates the maximum width of the tab that I can enter, or if it demonstrates that my tab is too wide.

This is the tab in question:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/cont...oval?id=1501925

If it's too wide, I'll have to take it down and do some massive edits. But I'd just like to know so I don't make that mistake again. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:07 AM   #144
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislausch
I'm not too sure where to post this, but I'm just wondering about the width marker in the tab submission page, I'm having some trouble understanding whether the red line indicates the maximum width of the tab that I can enter, or if it demonstrates that my tab is too wide.

This is the tab in question:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/cont...oval?id=1501925

If it's too wide, I'll have to take it down and do some massive edits. But I'd just like to know so I don't make that mistake again. Thanks!

it demonstrates the maximum width of a line. it seems that your tab in question perfectly fits this standard
zappp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #145
ayreon77

yea i,m having the same prob, i cussed a guy out for saying it was badly formatted, and he never gave any other information why, then someone else PM and said that i had some going over the line, and to me looking at it, there was none going over the line, he told me a trick is to, hits Ctrl and use the wheel and bring the page down to 90%, and there enough there was a lot crossing the red line, so i fixed it, and apologized to the guy I cussed out, even though an explanation would have been good, but is there a way to sort this, so it will give you a warning that it won,t get accepted, because to me it looked fine but others see it different, i think a warning would be good, so there is no need for massive edits, and people don,t get cussed out, for no reason.
ayreon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #146
ayreon77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar_Bob
Is there any way to change which variation of chord comes up when hovering over a chord symbol in a song?

Usually I will write my own legend at the top of the page to show the chord fingerings for a song but then hovering over the chord in the song will show a different default fingering. For example a "Gadd9" will default to the 300003 shape but I want the 320203 or 32020x voicing instead. I know you can click on variations and scroll through them but if you close the box it just defaults back to the first one.

It would be nice if the contributor could select which variation would pop up or even place in their own definitions of the chords used in a song (this would be especially useful for non-standard tunings). Of course this could lead to misrepresented chords by submitters but its nothing that the review process could filter out.

Maybe this exists already and I just can't find the option. Any thoughts?

I agree this is a good idea to pick the chords yourself, sometimes i want a different chord than whats default, this would be useful to choose your own interpretation of the chord.
ayreon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #147
baxissimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsceneairwaves
EDIT1: I also think you should be able to flag a tab as 'incorrect' or something and be able to submit a correction to it which would get reviewed and then either implemented to the original tab or rejected.
Would cut down on a lot of the alternate tabs that are just corrections or better versions of another
EDIT2: and maybe even have a log of corrections that have been made on a tab that people can see if they want to so the original posters work is never undermined. It will still be there in its original glory, but the main tab people will see will be the one with corrections

Yes yes yes. This appears to be the biggest hole in the tab editing lifecycle. Once a tab is submitted, only the owner can make fixes to it, and often the original owners have moved on, and aren't responding to comments on their tabs.

There really needs to be a way to make minor corrections to existing tabs, and actually get them incorporated into the tab.

It would be quite the engineering effort but I could imagine an interface where corrections from others can be shown along the side, similar to Google Docs or MS Word, and then users can vote or comment on the comments. If enough people vote for a correction, then it goes in.

Another improvement that could improve the rate at which contributors fix their tabs could be to send email to someone when a comment/correction has been posted on one of their tabs. I doubt many people check their UG profile page regularly to see new activity, so many people who may still be around may just not realize people have suggested corrections to their tabs.
baxissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #148
killergege

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxissimo
There really needs to be a way to make minor corrections to existing tabs, and actually get them incorporated into the tab.

According to the Approval Queue FAQ, level IV contributors can edit any tab.
So I guess there is already something in place, but I'm level III so I don't know what exactly is the process (is the owner warned ? ...).

You can also edit your tabs and when you do so, the users still have access to the previous versions of the tab.

So I guess the tools are there (mostly at least), people need to use them .
killergege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #149
john2m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalasjnikaj
Is this the thread where I can ask the moderators to think outside the US and UK music box?

I submitted 2 songs (swedish and norweigan) but they where declined, and I wonder why. My guess is that it's not in the english language, or am I wrong?

Maybe there is a way to have this answer when declining a submission.

I would also be very glad with some kind of language tag possibility. In that way I can search all tabs on Dutch, German, French or English songs.
john2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #150
mizzo123

One thing I think is really unfair and actually quite ridiculous is that tabs get rejected for the lyrics not being in English. I mean seriously, how stupid is that? If the song isn't sung in English, why should the contributor translate the lyrics to meet the tab rules. It would also confuse people trying to learn the song because the lyrics are wrong.
mizzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #151
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappp
it demonstrates the maximum width of a line. it seems that your tab in question perfectly fits this standard

Yeah, and I see it did get accepted.

Thanks for the clarification, though, I'll keep it in mind for future tabs
Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 PM   #152
MLM10492

Not sure how this thing works! Just trying to provide some input on the tab approval system.

I submitted a tab today and the tuning I needed to choose in the drop down box wasn't available /: It was Dropped G#/Ab. I know it's really low and a 7 string could clear this problem up potentially but I was tabbing it as a 6 string tab and had to choose Drop A even though the song is played in Drop G#/Ab. Is there possibly a way to type in a custom tuning? If not maybe there could be another tuning added to that drop down menu?

Note: This is for Guitar Pro submissions mainly. I know you can point out on Text tablature (in a note and/or in the strings on the far left of the tablature) the actual tuning.
MLM10492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #153
Dannyboy1302

I'm wonderin how long it takes to have a tab submitted. What the "w" keens in the status bar. And if our tab is not accepted wether or not we are contacted as to why not.
Dannyboy1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #154
1funnyguy99

I'm fairly new to the site. Maybe it's my lack of knowledge, but is there no way to correct someones rejected tab? I see the error(s), and would like to correct to get it approved. Honestly, either A) I physically cant, or B) I'm not allowed to yet.
1funnyguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #155
carriep63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy1302
I'm wonderin how long it takes to have a tab submitted. What the "w" keens in the status bar. And if our tab is not accepted wether or not we are contacted as to why not.

The length of time it takes to get a tab accepted depends on a few factors. How many people are voting, how many songs are ahead of you, how complicated your tab is to name a few. Usually the wait is anywhere from a couple days to a week. The "W" means that it's waiting for approval. You will get a notification about your tab when it's approved or rejected, providing you were logged in when you posted it.
carriep63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #156
carriep63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1funnyguy99
I'm fairly new to the site. Maybe it's my lack of knowledge, but is there no way to correct someones rejected tab? I see the error(s), and would like to correct to get it approved. Honestly, either A) I physically cant, or B) I'm not allowed to yet.

Are you trying to correct someone else's rejected tab? This is not something you are able to do. A level 4 contributor or moderator can make changes to a pending tab or an approved tab, but once a tab is rejected no changes can be made to it.

If you are trying to help someone out, you can leave a comment on their tab saying what corrections are needed. That way, when they are rejected they can appeal the rejection and make those corrections themselves if they choose to.
carriep63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #157
finastikon

Hi, I appealed an old song that I had mistakenly submitted as misc unsigned bands when it should've been misc cartoons. I also manually corrected some formatting where some complicated chords weren't marked properly. I double-checked everything, and when the chords were submitted, they were beyond a doubt formatted correctly, had the (ch)(/ch) around them and all (with brackets instead of parenthesis).

I get the chords back yesterday, with a comment saying "Lack of formatting", and see that all the odd chords that I had manually fixed, now suddenly aren't marked as chords anymore. I can't see anything else that would prompt that specific feedback.

I don't know if this link to my tab will work, but let's try: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/cont...oval?id=1424130. I haven't touched it since I got it back.

Can anyone help me understand what went wrong? Since the song is now rejected for sure, due to my first round of noobness, do I submit it as a new song or am I screwed? If I submitted it again I would make sure to only use simple chords that are marked automatically.

Last edited by finastikon : 08-12-2014 at 07:44 AM.
finastikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:00 AM   #158
hjelmgren

Unicode should be used to handle songs and bandnames. That way international artists gets the correct name and the songs are more easy to find.
For example a swedish song called "Rövarevisan" can be found as "Rvarevisan" or "Rovarevisan" today.

This is badly written code as it is today and should be updated to modern standards of text input.
hjelmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #159
moczygembala

Hi, on the Contributor's level breakdown it say to become level 4 you need 10tabs with high quality. What is the definition of high quality in this scenario? Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this , im not very good at using forum style formats.

Thanks.
moczygembala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM   #160
hdpeng
Skidaddy, Esq. (G.Q.)

I submitted Dan Fogelberg's 'Go Down Easy' (It's 'Version 1' on here) several years ago without being logged in (I believe it was my very first submission), so naturally it was not added to my 'Contributions' once it was approved. Once it appeared on the sight the spacing was not correct, and I left out a chord (C#m) in a couple of places. Does anyone know if there is any way to get it added to my 'Contributions' so I can clean it up by having 'Edit' capabilities once I have ownership of it? Here's a direct link to it (as you can see, I left a couple of comments at the bottom).

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/d/d...wn_easy_crd.htm

Inquisitively and sincerely, Zack Oxford.

Rate This Thread: