Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
JayCartay

31 - Can I still become a decent guitarist?

I've always been quite casual with my playing and as a result never gone through learning theory and spent most of my musical life playing power chords etc.

I did some tuition towards the end of last year and things were improving, but due to logistics, I haven't been able to go and see my tutor for a good six months. I'd like to pick back up as I know tuition is my best hope of getting decent, but I sometimes wonder if I have left it too late to improve and try and get a band going etc.

I don't want much, I just want to make original music and play pubs etc. for fun. It just seems like every time I see/hear anyone else play, they are streets ahead of me technique-wise.

My biggest problem is that I have too many interests. I'm not focussed enough. I need to study Microsoft stuff for my career, go to the gym to keep fit, find time to take guitar tuition and time to practise. It's a difficult juggling act for sure, and I wonder if my wide range of interests will ultimately be my downfall forever......
'85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS430
Vintage V300
Epiphone Dot with upgrades
Peavey Milestone III Bass
Peavey Classic VT100
Boss BD-2, DD-7, CH-1
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Sean0913
Music Theory Renegade

Sure you can. Set small attanable goals that you think you can reach. Sometimes, life happens. I have way more to do than I have TIME for. You have to choose your battles and prioritize. Some things you may have to let go of, it just wasn't meant to be. Find things you enjoy and go for it. Who cares what level of guitarist you become - find whats meaningful to you and enjoy it.

Best,

Sean

An Online, Theory Based Guitar School

Stuck? I Mentor Guitar Players for Free.

If you are interested in the Academy, I offer a free Skype-based Demo. Just contact me on my profile, and we can work out the times.
Sean0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

would you take no for an answer? be patient and put in time and effort and you'll get somewhere eventually.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
sweetdude3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCartay
I've always been quite casual with my playing and as a result never gone through learning theory and spent most of my musical life playing power chords etc.

I did some tuition towards the end of last year and things were improving, but due to logistics, I haven't been able to go and see my tutor for a good six months. I'd like to pick back up as I know tuition is my best hope of getting decent, but I sometimes wonder if I have left it too late to improve and try and get a band going etc.

I don't want much, I just want to make original music and play pubs etc. for fun. It just seems like every time I see/hear anyone else play, they are streets ahead of me technique-wise.

My biggest problem is that I have too many interests. I'm not focussed enough. I need to study Microsoft stuff for my career, go to the gym to keep fit, find time to take guitar tuition and time to practise. It's a difficult juggling act for sure, and I wonder if my wide range of interests will ultimately be my downfall forever......

If you want it badly enough, you can make time. I don't even watch TV and I stopped facebook so I have so much time more than others. I am close to your age so if some guy called sweetdude3000 can do this, I am sure you can.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Snotfish
whacktacular

This completely depends on the genre sadly. If you want to hit power chords and play metal you better hit the boat fast. If you want to play music that there doesn't have to be a "scene" for 31 is still very young and you have a lot of time. My dad is a 60 year old Jazz player that is being dragged all over the city and state with his band to play gigs. If he was on his own and lost his 8-5 he could easily live off the money he makes playing a few times a month.

As advice, play something you can see yourself getting into down the road. I see way too much of this metal/thrash/punk/emo garbage and very few, if any, of these people will last as actual adults playing to an audience.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotfish
I see way too much of this metal/thrash/punk/emo garbage and very few, if any, of these people will last as actual adults playing to an audience.

This is very true. There's a reason so many pub-rock bands still play mostly stuff from the 70s.

OP - I'm in a similar situation. I've played since my teens (although I've had a few breaks along the way, some up to a couple of years), all self taught but had only ever really played rhythm. I'm now 38 & have been teaching myself some lead guitar in the past year or two. I really only have time for lengthy practice sessions at the weekends, although I also manage about 30 minutes a couple of evenings during the week.

Even with only that much practice, people keep telling me I'm pretty good at it. If it wasn't too late for me it isn't too late for you, and if my life (which is also quite busy with other stuff) hasn't got in the way I don't see why yours should either.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H

Last edited by GaryBillington : 06-26-2013 at 03:45 PM.
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
rob.greco1
Banned

I am teaching this guy in his 60's and he still has plenty of time to enjoy wigging out!
rob.greco1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: