Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Schecter S6S

Ocd Pedal

I've been searching like crazy for the right OD pedal. Asking around, YouTube vids, reading online reviews... I think I've made up my mind and want the fulltone OCD. Let me know what y'all think. Pros and cons. Is it good or bad. Open to different suggestions too
Schecter S6S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Blackfire.
There goes my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter S6S
I've been searching like crazy for the right OD pedal. Asking around, YouTube vids, reading online reviews... I think I've made up my mind and want the fulltone OCD. Let me know what y'all think. Pros and cons. Is it good or bad. Open to different suggestions too

They have a clone of the OCD, I just ordered one also. I have one of their other pedals which is a clone of the TS9 which works great. Check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-Ultimate...+ultimate+drive
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire.
They have a clone of the OCD, I just ordered one also. I have one of their other pedals which is a clone of the TS9 which works great. Check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-Ultimate...+ultimate+drive

+1 to the Joyo suggestion as a cheap alternative. Excellent pedal for the money.

I also like my Big Knobs FullClone OCD & would definitely recommend that as a clone of the original.
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
constructbot
Big Bird Approves

I have it (the V4 that is). I find it perfect as a low to medium gain overdrive. As a heavy drive just by itself I find it very boomy, yet harsh. It seems it has a bit of a mid scoop, which I don't like. However, when combined with a tubescreamer it sounds absolutely amazing. Gets me just the sound I'm looking for.
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
constructbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Schecter S6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by constructbot
I have it (the V4 that is). I find it perfect as a low to medium gain overdrive. As a heavy drive just by itself I find it very boomy, yet harsh. It seems it has a bit of a mid scoop, which I don't like. However, when combined with a tubescreamer it sounds absolutely amazing. Gets me just the sound I'm looking for.

I love the scooped mids sound but also play a variety of different styles of music. How versatile is this petal? I also have the mxr m108 10 band eq and was hoping to shape the tone of the OCD with it if I couldn't get it from the OCD alone. How do you think that'll work out?
Old 10-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Schecter S6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
+1 to the Joyo suggestion as a cheap alternative. Excellent pedal for the money.

I also like my Big Knobs FullClone OCD & would definitely recommend that as a clone of the original.

Anyone else use the clone? I sure like the price of it over the OCD but is it the same quality and sound as the real ocd? Could it pass a blindfold test?
Old 10-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
supersac

i got the ultimate drive i dont know how it compares to the fulltone ocd as ive never used one

but its a great pedal its still on my board even thought i could afford to getdifferent over drives
its got ALOT of volume on it though and right now im using it to tighten up the sound of the crunch channel and to make the lead channel a bit smoother

quality wise its okay sometimes the knobs get stuck but for 40 bucks its not bad at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

Personally I didn't notice any midscoop with my OCD. However, using it to boost an amp's overdrive turned out to be less than ideal for me.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

If you're worried about any tonal issues, I suggest an option 5 destination overdrive ii. Wide range of gain and tone (3 band EQ), for a tad more than a new Fulltone.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Anyone else use the clone? I sure like the price of it over the OCD but is it the same quality and sound as the real ocd? Could it pass a blindfold test?

I've owned my Joyo for a year or so now & it's never let me down. Hpwever, when I joined my band I decided I wanted something more trustworthy so I bought the Big Knobs FullClone because you always have to be slightly cautious of the quality control of a Chinese made product like the Joyo.

Both sound slightly different to each other, the Joyo has a darker tone than the Big Knob, but you can tell they're both aiming in the same direction soundwise. I don't know how they'd compare in a blindfold test to the Fulltone though, perhaps youtube could offer some help there?
Laney VC30 2x10 combo + 1x12 extension cab
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
supersac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
I've owned my Joyo for a year or so now & it's never let me down. Hpwever, when I joined my band I decided I wanted something more trustworthy so I bought the Big Knobs FullClone because you always have to be slightly cautious of the quality control of a Chinese made product like the Joyo.

Both sound slightly different to each other, the Joyo has a darker tone than the Big Knob, but you can tell they're both aiming in the same direction soundwise. I don't know how they'd compare in a blindfold test to the Fulltone though, perhaps youtube could offer some help there?

i thought this at first so i bought another od pedal cant remember which one it was but after a month or so i put the joyo back
hasnt let me down once

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
rockxwl

I own the Fulltone OCD and am very happy with it. It's well-built and sturdy. 5 years old now and still works well. Has never needed repairs.

Sound-wise you need to note that while it does color your tone it doesn't transform it. So if you have a cheap guitar or amp it's not going to suddenly make it sound as though you have much higher end gear. It's a general rule for most pedals but make sure you are happy with your guitar and amp tone before coloring in the lines with pedals.

The OCD gives a very smooth, warm overdrive and I especially love the rare times when I can double it over my Orange's own dirty channel to get things really dirty. There is also a convenient switch to choose between LP and HP (essentially 'American' and 'British') but I have always used the HP setting so can't talk much on the other side.

In short, you're considering a wonderful and versatile OD pedal that will do everything you need so long as you are looking for tones for anything up to modern rock. It won't do hardcore/metal/etc.
EH Holy Grail
rockxwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
constructbot
Big Bird Approves

Quote:
I love the scooped mids sound but also play a variety of different styles of music. How versatile is this petal? I also have the mxr m108 10 band eq and was hoping to shape the tone of the OCD with it if I couldn't get it from the OCD alone. How do you think that'll work out?

I'm sure that when combining it with a quality eq, like the mxr you have, you can get way more tonal range than with just the OCD itself. I'd say it's reasonably versatile, it won't get you tight metal tones, but will get you from slight overdrive hard rock with ease. The HP and LP modes give additional versatility to the pedal. Also when using an 18v adapter instead of your regular 9v adapter, you get additional headroom, and according to some, better tone.
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
constructbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: