Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #16421
DamienEx1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4thHorsemen
Cool, I ended up going with the G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600 that I linked to in an earlier post, it should be here in a few days. When installing RAM do I just pull the old ones out and plug the new ones in? No special tricks?

And since the Gigabyte website says this motherboard has "Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz" I'm assuming the motherboard will automatically run it at 1333, but I should be able to change it to 1600 in the BIOS right? If that happens will I also have to change the timings?

Yeah you'll be fine. Also you could have done better with the RAM timings, but youll be fine. I am running 1600mhz with a timing of 7

And yes it is just plug and play. You might have to fiddle with the bios a little but it won't be too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz_m2k5
I tried crossfire recently. It was a bad idea, and I'm not having to sell the 2nd GPU that I just bought on ebay.

My problem was that there is only 1 PCI slot between the two PCI-E slots on my motherboard. That meant the first card was completely blocked by the new card, and temps went from about 38C/60C to 55C/100C. Super loud and not viable.

I think these days graphics cards tend to have 2 PCI slots between PCI-E slots, to give them a bit of breathing room, but the extra volume and heat from two cards did not seem worth it at all. I like a quiet rig.

In the future I would sell my GPU and upgarde, rather than getting a 2nd card.

This is with AMD MSI 7870 by the way.

Well don't call Crossfire or SLI bad because you have a crappy set up Poor planning on your part. You might benefit from a single new GPU, but most people have enough space and air flow in their case to account for that type of heating. Besides, side air intake fans are awesome for some targeted spot cooling on GPU's.

Last edited by DamienEx1021 : 04-16-2014 at 10:34 AM.
DamienEx1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #16422
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienEx1021
Yeah you'll be fine. Also you could have done better with the RAM timings, but youll be fine. I am running 1600mhz with a timing of 7

And yes it is just plug and play. You might have to fiddle with the bios a little but it won't be too difficult.

Damnit, I didn't see anything better when I was looking, but now that you've said it I see this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820231536

Wait, holy shit I'm lucky! I just went and looked at my email to see if it had shipped yet and apparently when I tried to order it it didn't go through! The other RAM is still in my shopping cart and paypal says no recent transactions.

So yea, do you think that one would be the best in that price range?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #16423
DamienEx1021

That is better than what I am running right now an the price is decent enough.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #16424
DamienEx1021

I just saw this and I was about floored.

R9 295X2
Old Yesterday, 12:04 AM   #16425
uziyourillusion
cemetary gates

Running SLI 760s here, no heat problems and noise isnt that bad at all. I dont think I've ever seen either of my cards go above 64C. Cant speak of crossfire, but SLI scaling has been great on pretty much every title I've played.
Don't try to reach me, 'cause I'd tear up your mind
I've seen the future and I've left it behind
uziyourillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM   #16426
The4thHorsemen
Which way's she spinning?

Cool beans. It's on the way, can't wait!

Rate This Thread: