Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
NoTTD

Strum Patterns

I am a newbie deluxe and am teaching myself so far. No problem fingering on chords but how do I determine which strum pattern applies to which song? (Please don't tell me to just listen. ) I've gotten into the bad habit of strumming them all the same. I use the tabs here for the chords, is there somewhere I can check which will show the correct patterns, by song?
NoTTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
stepchildusmc

justinguitar.com has some decent trumming pattern lessons. i'd start there.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Honestly, I've never gotten the point of strumming patterns. I just listen to the recording to see what rhythm they're using.

IMO, unless you're in an ensemble where even your strumming counts as part of the visual aesthetic, it doesn't matter.

I am fully prepared to be proven wrong, however.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
_LoveFuzz_

Well, without the music notation, only chords, you really have no choice but to "just listen". Using tab pro or guitar pro could help with this - it provides notation.

Although there is a "pattern" to strumming that will work in a given section of a song, one could move their hand in any way they wish as long as the timing of the strums is correct. For instance I could hold an open E chord and just strum quarter notes 1 2 3 4 or I could do the same but move my hand in a 16th note rhythm but only strum the first note of every 16th note bar 1 (2 3 4) 2 (2 3 4) 3 (2 3 4) 4 (2 3 4) - the numbers in parenthesis are just moving you hand in time, not hitting the strings. In both cases I would play the same thing although the "pattern" is different.

So thinking in terms of pattern isn't really the right approach, learn timing or more specifically note values.

Last edited by _LoveFuzz_ : 06-07-2013 at 11:33 AM.
_LoveFuzz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Wetstra
One Angry German

Quote:
Honestly, I've never gotten the point of strumming patterns. I just listen to the recording to see what rhythm they're using.

IMO, unless you're in an ensemble where even your strumming counts as part of the visual aesthetic, it doesn't matter.

I am fully prepared to be proven wrong, however.

^this. Strum patterns are just myths, they don't matter unless, as tri said, visuals are important to the show.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
NoTTD

Thanks to everyone.

Great stuff, and thanks to everybody.

Justinguitar.com looks particularly promising.

Last edited by NoTTD : 06-13-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Forgot to xcomment
NoTTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
BenTunessence

Hey NoTTD!

Typically strumming follows the beat: strum down on the down beat, and up on the upbeat. The beat is usually the quarter note or eighth note.

Learning strumming patterns is really just a way to get your hand synced up with the feeling of the beat to the point where your strumming arm becomes like a metronome. Then it's easy to pick up the strumming to a song by ear.

You could start by just taking a typical 4-beat measure and strumming all of the down and up beats:

Down-Up, Down-Up, Down-Up, Down-Up

Then try missing the strings on purpose in different places to create some rhythmic variation. Make sure your arm keeps swinging with the beat, though.

For example:

Down-Up, Down-Up, (down miss)-Up, Down-Up

Down-(up miss), Down-(up miss), Down-Up, Down-(up miss)

Hope that helps!
BenTunessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #8
Garry Edwards

Hey NoTTD
It's all just about covered so, all you have to do is keep the beat with your "foot" and it'll come to you sooner than later. Practice, practice practice my friend.
Garry Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: