Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
RAB11

Perhaps a common problem.

So about five years ago I got my first guitar as a Christmas present and I was extremely excited, and couldn't wait to start learning my favourite songs. At that time, I was listening to a hell of a lot of Nirvana, and so I started learning a lot of their songs, which as I'm sure you'll all know contain a lot of power chords. I couldn't be bothered paying for proper lessons so just went off tabs, mainly on here, and my mate tried to teach me a bit too but it never really worked.

Anyway, I was on and off with how seriously I took the guitar until about 18 months ago when I watched the documentary It Might Get Loud (the Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge one) and it just gave me a complete kick up the arse to get playing again. Suddenly I'd be coming home from work and be putting in a good couple hours in before my dad got home every day, learning songs and writing them too. I was also exploring different types of music at the time too. But the problem was that I was, and still am, using power chords in every song, sometimes the change sounds good, a lot of the time it just sounds gimped and it's also meant I can't really play anything on the acoustic. I can also play some slower-tempo solos but I just can't improvise or come up with my own solos.

So now I'm thinking to go up a level I actually need to start from the beginning, and I'm just wondering how best to approach learning chords (and transitioning between chords) from scratch, as well as some scales to help with my improv.

Hagstrom F200P
Epiphone Special II
Digitech RP55
Some crappy Peavey practice amp.

All completely wasted on me.
RAB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
PSimonR
PSR

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
TobyJames

Spend a while playing acoustic pop or folk, it'll be a pain if you don't like the genres, but its dead simple and worth doing to improve chord knowledge and rhythm skills, as for chord transitions, look for shared notes between chords and pivot your hand around it
TobyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR

yes! the free stuff is so helpful. i started learning jazz chords mainly with this site.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIsIbleNoIsE
yes! the free stuff is so helpful. i started learning jazz chords mainly with this site.

It's not just the material, Justin is a genuinely great teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Scratcher17

Explore alternate tunings, start with Drop D.

Mark Holcomb from Haunted Shores and Periphery shows some cool chord shapes (he is tuned to Drop C, but you can play these chords in Drop D for start).
Scratcher17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Elderer
Banned

Get in to country or folk. Start playing slide for 90% of time. Listen to some folk players...Davy Graham,Roy Harper for start.
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
RAB11

See I really wanna learn slide but whenever I try it it just sounds crap.

Cheers for the advice guys, just checked out justinguitar and it looks like the way to go.

Hagstrom F200P
Epiphone Special II
Digitech RP55
Some crappy Peavey practice amp.

All completely wasted on me.
RAB11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: