Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #41
Piano-Forte

Nothing Pisses Me Off More Than Abac Form And You Have A Fvckton Of It
Piano-Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:05 AM   #42
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano-Forte
Nothing Pisses Me Off More Than Abac Form And You Have A Fvckton Of It

ABAC form annoys you regardless of the music? Well then you're a moron.

Colossus
frankibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #43
Seb1uk

Listening to Ashes.
I thought the intro was a little dull, the rhythm guitar was a bit too basic for my liking. The lead's quite nice though.
The verse comes in nicely, but again, I didn't find the riff too interesting. The instrumental bridge was nice though. Flows well into the verse 2. Nice breakdown, the lead guitar was cool. I didn't really like how it went back into the instrumental bridge though. I kinda wanted the song to pick up the pace again right after, but was a bit disappointed it was the instrumental bridge.
The chorus works fine, but I just didn't really like the sound of it. It's just a personal preference thing though so like, yeah don't worry about that.
The song flows quite well together, but I think I'm getting a bit bored of the instrumental bridge now. I just think you should vary the repeated sections very slightly. It could be anything, add in a moment of silence where it's just a drum roll for like 2 bars, or something like that.
I think the song kinda started to drag on after the break and during the breakdown. I'm not sure what you wanna do, I'm sure it'd be no problem as a recorded song with vocals, I just seem to become more critical when I'm just listening and watching the guitar pro tab.
The clean chorus is really nice and I like the transition into the final chorus. The song ends really nicely.

Overall I thought the song was pretty decent. It was good, but I just didn't really think it was that special. Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, I'm just trying to give a real opinion.

You think you could have a crit on this for me?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...=1258430&page=1
Seb1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #44
frankibo
UG Board King

I guess this just wasn't your sort of song because you didn't like much of it haha but that's not your fault, thanks for the crit!

Colossus
Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #45
Seb1uk

Cheers for the crit on mine, yeah I get what you mean it wasn't very proggy. Funnily enough, my favourite part I did was the 6/4 section hah. I'll be happy to crit another one of your songs if I give you another one of mine to crit

Take your pick
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1382781
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1377296

Here ya go

Haste:
Really liked the sound of the intro, nice melody. I like how the verse came in, but I'm not too sure about the chords in verse part 2. Works much better when part 3 comes in. The outro is really nice as well, I like how it all works on top of the same clean guitar melody. The ending seemed a bit sudden though, didn't quite expect that. I think you could definitely expand on this though man, you should see what you can do.

Since I didn't realise it was a short one, I'll have a listen to another song

Masquerade:
Pretty cool intro, I like the use of 5/8 to go into the chorus, that bit flows really well.
Not much to say about the verse, I'd have to hear a vocal melody but I'm sure it'd work.
I really like chorus 2, the palm muted bits in the rhythm add a good feel. Just has a good feel, nice chords, nice lead. Not too sure if I like the last 5 bars of it though, doesn't sound very good in my opinion.
The bridge and breakdown works nicely, although I'm not sure if I would call it a breakdown.
I was liking the outro to the song until the last moment, I guess I was just expecting something different.

It's a good piece, there's some really cool sections, but I just didn't like the sound of a few bars every now and then.

Last edited by Seb1uk : 11-23-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #46
frankibo
UG Board King

Thanks for another crit, I looked at all the songs I could find of yours. If there are more then link em and I'll give them a listen!

Colossus
Old 11-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #47
Seb1uk

Cheers, I'm about to go out now but you can have a listen to 161 on my profile if you want. It's just a really rough recording but the sound's good enough to make out the tunes and all. I'll have a listen to more of your stuff tomorrow yeah.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #48
Mean Mr Mustard
Naked By The Computer

okay im going to crit the post rock one. With songs of this nature, I admire them, but I usually have them on as background music almost, just to have there. And then every now and then some huge section will come on thats amazing...

Anyways, the first riff was okay, no complaints here. It just keeps building too, but its okay, it never lost my interest, although the buildup at bar 40 falsely made me ready a change or an explosion. But it goes on with a beat...thats okay. The lead line was good too. I think the harmony and the actual lead itself would sound great, but it doesnt sound amazing in guitar pro. I think that ride part, without the guitars sounds a little empty. Maybe add a different instrument to thicken it out? Or just even have the guitars ring out the last note. Because I like that the tension goes down actually, but its just not that smooth.
The lead now comes back again, its all good. Same thing with the harmony though, It sounds a little weird with this certain sound, but itll be okay.

Act II transitions a little roughly for me. Something so easy to make it sound a lot better is have the harmonizing guitars play a last note on the first bar of this section. The harmonys in this part sound a LOT better. And the octaves were GREAT. Sections like those are what makes me just get lost in the music, feeling like its floating around me or something, its magical almost. Its great.

Im not sure how I feel about the transition into Act III. I like what you did, with the whole huge sound to the quiet sound, but Im not sure if its good for these parts. This section is good though, gives a spacey feel. The addition of Act I's lead guitars was nice, I liked that. The break then worked well. Then it builds up to the harmony again, still nice. Strings were nice there.

I liked the Act IV drum part a lot, but im still not sure about the transition. However, it didnt matter when the keyboard came in, that was sweeeeet.

Transition into Act V was great, seemed very natural unlike some previous ones. And it also happened to have my favorite section in it . That harmony and the octaves with the synth together form such an amazing piece of music, its amazing.

Act VI, same as before. The toms were nice, but I think some more speed in some places could help, maybe some sixteenth notes. Harmony that comes is nice again.

Act VII, building. Nice, I can feel something coming. I think it moves kinda slow though, maybe start thinking of heightening the tension around 298. Add a snare? At least for the harmony, I think a snare would help with the beat.

Act VIII was the explosion. Nice. I hope you can come up with a sweet melody over it though, the progression itself is only alright in my opinion. But alas, you do, you bring in the harmony. And it was great here. Then it that section from before, nicely implemented into distorted guitars here. The arpeggios add to the epicness here.

Act X was a nice little aftermath. Except it wasnt over, it came back, and I liked it better this time than before. The piano was a little quiet in this section too for I couldnt hear it at all. The ending was nice, but I didnt think the harmonized keyboard riff to fadeout worked well. I would have another instrument in the background instead of the other keyboard, and have it play a whole different riff and fadeout with it.

Phew sorry, that was longer than I expected, so I typed way more than I expected haha.

Anyways, I thought this song was great - or at least, its just as great as other post-rock songs Ive heard, but my knowledge is limited. This sounds like Explosions in the Sky at times though, which I really liked. The melodies for the most part were okay, and your instrumentation and composition was nice. I think your major weakness here was just transitions. So try to work on that some. I dont think theres anything you can improve on besides that. Great great great job.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #49
JCAshworth247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl6661
i really do just think that's down to guitar pro, even with the greatest soundcard and the best MIDI sounds, stuff always sounds a million times better outside of Guitar Pro/standard MIDI.

Is that a schecter, perhaps a C-1 plus?
JCAshworth247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #50
JCAshworth247

Wow how long did it take you to write all this?
JCAshworth247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #51
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAshworth247
Wow how long did it take you to write all this?

Oh this is years of writing. Most of it is fairly shit to be honest, especially the older stuff which is just a lot of really crappy metalcore, and won't ever get used for anything.
There's a few songs in there that I'm quite proud of though.

Colossus
Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #52
intothe

I listened to post rock, what a song, I would love to listen to a recorded version of this!
I don't really have any criticism, everything from structure to bass to drums were very well thought through and the build-up and climax were phenomenal.
If anything, some of the acts prior to act IV could have been cut a little bit to not make it as long, but I still very much enjoyed listening to it as it is.
intothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #53
Ometh
nobody

Lol i remember posting in this thread, I was such a **** back then lol. Might review some songs later, kinda busy doing nothing atm.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #54
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Lol i remember posting in this thread, I was such a **** back then lol. Might review some songs later, kinda busy doing nothing atm.

Haha no worries. Avoid the genericore if you can, they are what they are but I wrote them years ago, I wouldn't write that stuff now.

Colossus
Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #55
Semola94
semola94

Very great songs! impressive riffs!
Semola94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 AM   #56
Theunknownguest

Thanks for your reply on my first thread. I checked out to your post-rock tune. Good job really wouldn't change anything. The theme is pretty consistent through and through, the peaks and valley are well implemented, hence not making the song boring during the 20? minutes duration. That's some dope post-rock .
Theunknownguest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #57
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunknownguest
Thanks for your reply on my first thread. I checked out to your post-rock tune. Good job really wouldn't change anything. The theme is pretty consistent through and through, the peaks and valley are well implemented, hence not making the song boring during the 20? minutes duration. That's some dope post-rock .

Haha you're flogging a dead horse by bringing up this thread.
Luckily you looked at one of the songs which I actually still think is alright, most of them are shit.
If you want to look at something more recent http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1563273

Colossus
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #58
Gageycakes

Critting as I go.

Listening to the post-rock song as I'm always intrigued as to how people go about it and I have to say it's awesome.

The build of atmosphere in the intro is fantastic. Very EITS to me. As is the when the lead enters.

Although the drums are virtually the same throughout the pacing is great.

The octave section with all the layered instruments is very good.

And now act III and that change of pace. Not sure I like the clean guitar but I guess it's just the midi sound of it. Maybe in this section have an obscure midi instrument placed I'm thinking a celesta or something. I don't know why I just think it would add to the atmosphere a lot.

I feel as if the song should move on further and generally star tto build further with more post rock like volume. Like when the drums and build and become the most dominating instrument. It would really make the song more interesting around the point I am. Like in the build to act IV.

I do like the use of the snare. This section is very nice.

Act V and now it's starting to drag a bit in my opinion. I like the idea of repeating sections but I think it needs to be changed somewhat. Maybe with the drums since they are a dominating force in post rock.

In Act VI play with the drums dynamics some more just to make it sound that bit nicer.

Act VII ah the part I've been waiting for with a more aggressive approach. Still very tame thhough. Needs to build more and faster in to act VIII.

Act VIII is really good with the overdriven or distorted guitars or whatever. Really adds something. Twas a long time coming.

Really original putting those arpeggios into act IX. Well to me it was. Don't hear much of it in the post rock I listen to.

And finally act X. Epic. That's all it needed to finish and it did. The synth is the perfect end,

Sorry if this is really incoherent don't normally crit as I listen but being it the length it was I thought I better.

Overall I did like it but some parts needed to be freshened up. Such as the repeating sections. But I did like it. Maybe a bit long too. But I am aware it's post-rock and length does come with the territory.
Gageycakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: