Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
dirkerdaworker

How do I improve?

I have been playing guitar for about a year now and I am in a metal band and purely self taught. Over the year since i started playing I went from knowing nothing to being pretty good. I know how to play almost all of my favorite songs, all the major and minor chords, some scale patterns and have even wrote a couple of my own riffs. But recently over the past 3 months my level of improvement per week has greatly decreased I play all the time but i don't know what i should play or learn to get better from this point.

Any and all tips are appreciated and I am prepared for the trolls as well.
dirkerdaworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Bad Kharmel

learn some theory, work on techniques you can't do yet, try some improvisation over back tracks
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkerdaworker
But recently over the past 3 months my level of improvement per week has greatly decreased I play all the time but i don't know what i should play or learn to get better from this point.

That's how guitar works, it very much follows the law of diminishing returns. Players like John Petrucci have to play every day just to stay at the same level.

That said, we don't know what you should do to get better either because we don't know what "get better" means to you. The best advice I can give you is listen to more music and find something you want to learn, then learn it. Rinse and repeat until you're dead.

Also: write. Always be writing music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

What Zaphod said is pretty much spot on.

The guitar never ends and if you want to stay inspired then you should find some music that challenges you.

If you want to improve then find out what your goal is and adjust your practice sessions according to that.

You can be the musician and study scales, chords, notation, theory, transcribing, improvising, etc or you can practice your technique until you can shred yourself into a coma.

Honestly just do whatever it takes to stay motivated and remember to have fun,
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
dirkerdaworker

Playing over backing tracks and working on my improv and tempo seems to be helping a lot.
dirkerdaworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
barbuzim1

Hi.

I know this feeling, been having it every 6-7 month, so you are not alone.

For me it is always the repetition that stops me. If I am doing the same thing for over half a year I get to my personal peak at this particular way of improving. when I try a different approach to my playing or musical style it seams to do the job.

change is a good thing for the mind of an artist. You can find new bands in the style that you like & learn new song & new solos, You can try to get new Ideas from other music styles like classical (Malmsteen did that) Eastern (Vai & Friedman did that) or any other. different style means different approach to the instrument or the musical material.
barbuzim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
dietermoreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkerdaworker
I have been playing guitar for about a year now and I am in a metal band and purely self taught. Over the year since i started playing I went from knowing nothing to being pretty good. I know how to play almost all of my favorite songs, all the major and minor chords, some scale patterns and have even wrote a couple of my own riffs. But recently over the past 3 months my level of improvement per week has greatly decreased I play all the time but i don't know what i should play or learn to get better from this point.

Any and all tips are appreciated and I am prepared for the trolls as well.

Learn scale theory and learn picking technique theory.
dietermoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Believe me, for alot of players (including me) the period between the 10th and 18th (+-) month is one of the most frustrating ones. Keep going, you'll get there eventually.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
steven seagull
not really a seagull

The most frustrating, yet at the same time rewarding, thing about learning to play the guitar is that the more you learn - the more you realise there is to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
chainsawguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
The most frustrating, yet at the same time rewarding, thing about learning to play the guitar is that the more you learn - the more you realise there is to learn.

Definitely!

Also, don't forget why you picked up the guitar in the first place! To play the music you love, right? That should never change, no matter how good you get.

If you want to get "better", there must be a reason- there must be some songs out there that you like, and that challenge you a bit more...and if there isn't, go and find them! Listening to new music is a great way to pick up new inspiration.

I just think of it like this: you picked up the guitar because you like "x" bands, so you try to play their songs, and be as good as them. Then, when you've reached that level, you're either happy with where you're at, or you see (and listen to) more difficult things to learn and you learn that.

My point is: the music and inspiration should come first. Why are you learning more just to "get better"?! You should be learning more to become more musical- and that means finding new bands that inspire you- finding things that you "just can't play yet".

Also, getting a teacher can really help when it comes to these moments.

Rate This Thread: