Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
BioBeats

Should I worry about gaps between my strings?`

Hey guys, my Acoustic guitar has a slightly bigger than normal gap between the B and the High E string. Same between the Low E and A String. I'm pretty sure this is caused by my capo clipping a string while me trying to remove the Capo. The string ends are still placed in the right part i think its just stretched in the middle a bit. The guitar still plays fine but I was wondering if I should worry about this? and If it get new strings will this fix the problem?
BioBeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
DylanHendrix
Acid King

As long as the nut and saddle/bridge string positions are correct then the string is probably just bent. Unless your nut/saddle are of REALLY low quality and the strings are actually digging into them. Change strings and report back, however I wouldn't be too concerned. What model of guitar is it BTW?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
Apc3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanHendrix
As long as the nut and saddle/bridge string positions are correct then the string is probably just bent. Unless your nut/saddle are of REALLY low quality and the strings are actually digging into them. Change strings and report back, however I wouldn't be too concerned. What model of guitar is it BTW?

Weird advice. I know personally the more expensive nut/saddles actually wear out alot faster. I've been playing acoustics for over 20 years, still holds true that a bone nut and saddle will wear out way faster that a cheap synthetic, but man the tone.
Apc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
DylanHendrix
Acid King

i didn't mention anything about price.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBeats
Hey guys, my Acoustic guitar has a slightly bigger than normal gap between the B and the High E string. Same between the Low E and A String. I'm pretty sure this is caused by my capo clipping a string while me trying to remove the Capo. The string ends are still placed in the right part i think its just stretched in the middle a bit. The guitar still plays fine but I was wondering if I should worry about this? and If it get new strings will this fix the problem?

Well, the only place they could have shifted is across the saddle. If there isn't any detent for them to ride in, I expect they could shift a bit even with an aggressive playing style.

If you're that worried, tune the guitar down a few notes, and move them back to where they belong...

Keep in mind that the lower the saddle is in the bridge, the easier it is for the strings to move out of position across it.

With all that said, you do know that a set of strings isn't going to last the lifetime of the guitar, don't you? So, we may be dealing with two separate issues here.
Captaincranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Apc3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanHendrix
i didn't mention anything about price.

lol...Touché... anyways, the the better quality nut/saddles like bone actually wear out alot faster.
Apc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: