Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
skilly1

singing voice getting better

I used to feel awkward and didn't like the way I sang, usually just mumbling while playing guitar to myself
Now though, although I haven't heard my voice recorded, It just feels right to me now, I don't know how long it will last but I am actually enjoying singing,
Is it playing the guitar which helps you sing, I imagine over the years I've been internally subconsciously practicing singing and remembering lyrics

Any thoughts?

I've been playing guitar about 10 years now
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
ouchies
UG's OG

Record yourself and see if you sound better.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
skilly1

Just had a quick go, didn't sound great but definitely improved, and bearable to listen to my own voice,
I need to be confident on a song and know the lyrics well, which im getting better at, like Bob Dylan said "I'll know my song well before I start singing"
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Milan999

I also can't stand the way I sound. I think a lot of people may be that way due to the fact that you hear your own voice differently. I think hearing your own voice just takes some getting used to.
Milan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
KORRUSK
METAL!

Agreed Milan999.

I too am not overly fond of my timbre. Many vocalists I look up to, all admit to damaging their vocal cords. I sometimes wonder if that's the secret to singing better. :P
KORRUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
crice6505
Cody

Interesting. I too have noticed a huge improvement in my singing. I used to (and still kinda do) think that I really sucked, but lately two people have came out and said I have "the voice of an angel."

Most of what I sing is folk, indie, and blues. I definitely agree that damaged vocal chords are very beneficial.

I genetically have very poor vocal chords (a doctor told my mother that she had more nodules than anyone he has ever seen and she does not sing) and am a serious cigar smoker (among other vices) and have noticed a sort of grit, like a william elliott whitmore kind of thing, that I have been able to tap into and turn on and off lately. It really separates me from alot of people my age (18)

Plus, Tom Waits is a big influence for me, so I just love gritty singers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
crice6505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: