Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
JayCartay

A burning smell and a bright orange tube..... HELP!

Dear god. I made a thread a few days ago about having put new JJ 6L6GC tubes in my Peavey Classic VT100 and hearing a bit of a weird hum for a few seconds when powering on.

I thought it was resolved and last night played through the amp for over an hour. Tonight I've fired it up, played a few notes to get in tune then taken the guitar cable out to plug it into my M-Audio interface. I left the amp on and after a few minutes noticed a burning smell. I then realised the amp was making a constant hum that was getting louder.....

Looked at the back and one of the new tubes was lit up like a christmas tree!! Not just the bit that's meant to light up, no, the WHOLE thing!

Wtf do I do now? Woukd this simply be a faulty tube, seeing as I had no problems on the old tubes?
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

A tube that has red or orange plates is a bad thing. Turn off the amp. Most likely that tube is bad. Replace and all should be well. If you keep the amp turned on, it will result in a larger repair bill.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
JayCartay

I turned it off as soon as I saw it. I'll contact the guy I got the tubes from.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
bobt68021

I was one hundred percent sure you just came up with an awesome name for a song about hard drugs and made a thread to tell people. But damn that does suck tho and I know nothing about tube amps sorry.
bobt68021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

^ well...why did you...nevermind.

you should get a replacement. that is not supposed to happen with new tubes
Old 11-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Tube red plated, no good.

Were these tubes new?

Sometimes when a tube takes a dump if left on long enough it can hurt some of the resistors inside the amp. Just be aware when you put new ones in. If anymore problems pop up it would need to be inspected by a tech.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
JayCartay

I'd say it had been on maybe ten mins so who knows. I will get new tubes and see what happens. Infact, I may plug the old ones back in before I put brand new ones in again to make sure the same doesn't happen.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCartay
I'd say it had been on maybe ten mins so who knows. I will get new tubes and see what happens. Infact, I may plug the old ones back in before I put brand new ones in again to make sure the same doesn't happen.

That is the best route.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

your bias on the new tubes is off.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
JayCartay

You're meant to be able to plug and play on this amp.

Absolutely no issues whatsoever on the old tubes tonight.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

oh you're meant to be able to plug in play?

there's no possible reason it shouldn't work then.

have fun.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror

have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
ne14t

Quote:
You're meant to be able to plug and play on this amp.

Absolutely no issues whatsoever on the old tubes tonight.

Is it a self-biasing amp? I mean they do exist but from what I know the older Peavey's did not have this circuitry, and biasing really makes a difference I couldn't figure out what was wrong with one of my amps when I bought it (Haze 15), well it came from the factory roughly 50% cold, re-biased it and it was a whole new beast. Also tubes all have internal resistances that very from tube to tube so if you put all your old tube back in which the amp is biased for of course it will run properly. Then again it could have been a bad tube as well JJ's are Chinese made tubes and tend to have a higher failure rate, but also have the highest gain so it is a trade off, not knocking JJ's it's just the truth, my Haze 15 runs JJ's in the preamp and they haven't been touched in almost 2 years.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
Is it a self-biasing amp? I mean they do exist but from what I know the older Peavey's did not have this circuitry, and biasing really makes a difference I couldn't figure out what was wrong with one of my amps when I bought it (Haze 15), well it came from the factory roughly 50% cold, re-biased it and it was a whole new beast. Also tubes all have internal resistances that very from tube to tube so if you put all your old tube back in which the amp is biased for of course it will run properly. Then again it could have been a bad tube as well JJ's are Chinese made tubes and tend to have a higher failure rate, but also have the highest gain so it is a trade off, not knocking JJ's it's just the truth, my Haze 15 runs JJ's in the preamp and they haven't been touched in almost 2 years.

JJs made in China?

Stop posting bullshit.

Made on old Tesla equipment in Eastern Europe.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #15
JayCartay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror

have fun.

No need for the sarcasm. I've been reading up on this almost constantly since the failure. Many, many people have stated that although the amp is fixed bias, and ideally should still be adjusted, in most cases you can plug and play with new tubes because of the way the tolerances are set.

I'm not saying I'm 100% right, I'm just relaying what many other owners have stated. What else can I do??
Old 11-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #16
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I think Min is saying that there is a fault in the bias circuitry that is causing it to be out of bias, and he could very well be right.
Put your old tubes in like you said you were going to and watch closely what happens. Stay near the power switch so you can kill it fast if they start to redplate too. Keep the lights dim so you'll see it earlier. If that happens the amp has a fault - and it will probably be in the bias circuitry, just like Min said.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #17
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
What else can I do??

Er, you could accept that no matter what the manufacturer and/or random noobs on the Internet tell you, you should learn to bias your tubes or get a tech to do it.

Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #18
JayCartay

Nah I played it for a good half hour last night on the old tubes, and kept going to the back of the amp every few mins or so to check on it. No redplating at all. Everything worked perfectly.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #19
JayCartay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
Er, you could accept that no matter what the manufacturer and/or random noobs on the Internet tell you, you should learn to bias your tubes or get a tech to do it.

Aye possibly so. Just need to be 100% sure before going to the trouble of finding one and having it done. The next set of JJ's that are going in are colder than the first set. Will that make a difference or should I still have someone look at it?

The next question then, would be: if I do let someone look at it, should I go ahead and ask them to do the Bias pot mod and replace the 68k resistor with a 50k bias pot and an 18k resistor?

Rate This Thread: