Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
jasiii

Weird Big Muff issue

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a strange problem with my Russian Big Muff Pi. I have it in a pedalboard, and every time I kick it on it works fine, but when I switch it off the volume level of my amp drops noticeably lower, and the only way I've found to correct this is to turn the amp off and then on again. Anyone else experience anything like this? Any guesses why this is happening?

Here's my rig:
Pedalboard is a skb ps45, I use it to power all pedals. I use the 9v battery clip power cable for the big muff, it's a battery only pedal, no 9v plug option. This also happened when I ran it off a 9v battery.

Amp: carvin belair 2x12 50 watt tube combo, running straight into the 1/4" input, not the effects loop.

Pedal chain: boss tu-2 tuner > orange squeezer clone comp > Dunlop crybaby > ts9 tube screamer > radial engineering tonebone hot British > big muff Pi > ehx small stone phase shifter > line 6 modulation modeler > mxr carbon copy delay > amp

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!
jasiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasiii
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a strange problem with my Russian Big Muff Pi. I have it in a pedalboard, and every time I kick it on it works fine, but when I switch it off the volume level of my amp drops noticeably lower, and the only way I've found to correct this is to turn the amp off and then on again. Anyone else experience anything like this? Any guesses why this is happening?

Here's my rig:
Pedalboard is a skb ps45, I use it to power all pedals. I use the 9v battery clip power cable for the big muff, it's a battery only pedal, no 9v plug option. This also happened when I ran it off a 9v battery.

Amp: carvin belair 2x12 50 watt tube combo, running straight into the 1/4" input, not the effects loop.

Pedal chain: boss tu-2 tuner > orange squeezer clone comp > Dunlop crybaby > ts9 tube screamer > radial engineering tonebone hot British > big muff Pi > ehx small stone phase shifter > line 6 modulation modeler > mxr carbon copy delay > amp

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

not a direct answer to your question, but your pedals are set up unconventionally.

i am not telling you what to do, just suggestion.

tuner-wah-ts-radial- muff- amp >in loop line 6 modulation modeler > mxr carbon copy delay > amp

compressor and phaser could go in different places.

ultimately do what works for you, there reallly isn't a right and wrong, just how you want it to sound.

the only two things that i would do 100% is tuner shoudl be first. want best accuracy for tuning before something alters the signal. and drives out front.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

that.. almost sounds like a problem with your amp, not the pedal.

Or the big muff boosts the volume and when you turn it off your ears have adjusted for that.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
jasiii

It's strange, the volume of the amp drops noticeably after the big muff is switched off from where it was before the pedal was switched on. All of my bandmates notice it too. It's pretty dramatic. Wondering if the big muff overloads something in the amp?

As for the pedal configuration, I do know that a wah can go before or after overdrives/dist, personal preference there, ive done it both ways. Hendrix put wah before the fuzzface for example. I think most people put compression before anything but the tuner. Although Trey from phish puts it after distortion (for whatever that's worth....no judgements here....). Always heard you want any modulation like phasers near the end, after drives, but before time effects like delay.

Any other thoughts on the muff problem are appreciated, thanks.
jasiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: