Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
ChucklesMginty
lol

How does Vic get his strums to sound like they do?

What I'm referring to is, when he strums with the strings muted the sound leaps out and you really hear it go POP. When I strum my strings muted I get kind of a dull 'scratch.' Which is no good because it doesn't define the back beat enough.

I'm tried strumming every way, EQed every way and moving my right hand all over the bass, moving my left and muting in different places... I cannot get that sound, it drives me mad.

I'm trying to learn the main part of 'U Can't Hold No Groove' and it just doesn't work if you can't get that muted strum to sound good. I'm afraid I can't link to the exact sound I'm talking about because it's a paid lesson.

I've looked close at his technique and it actually looks like he's only strumming the high G weirdly. It sounds like a pluck with it's really a strum.

But seriously, everybody knows skeletons don't exist in real life.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

I thought that he was actually popping the strings (or double-popping, with the index and the middle alternatively) rather than strumming in that section. That's how I play it anyway, and it sounds close enough.

Rate This Thread: