Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
Niiko_Xeneize

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
So the bassist should be worse than the guitarists? There are many bands where I would say the bassist is actually better at playing the guitar than the guitarists (I would say Rob Trujillo is more technical player than James or Kirk in Metallica). But if he joined the band as a bassist, IMO he should be a bassist. If TS has never played the bass, he will be terrible at it. I mean, bass isn't just an easier guitar with four strings. You need to think like a bassist to play the bass well.

For example in our band I'm way better guitarist than our keyboardist is but if we need two guitars in a song, our keyboardist plays the 2nd guitar and I still play the bass. Because I'm the bassist of our band.

Edit: Your band's bassist should be the best bassist of your band. The band already had two guitarists, it is not looking for more guitarists. They need a bassist. And if both guitarists are at least decent, it doesn't matter if the bassist is a bit better guitarist. The only thing that matters is if he's good at playing the bass.

I never said that, what I mean is that if he's better at guitar than them it'd be a waste not to let him play the guitar, which is what supposedly he really wants to do, but if he's not better then any of them, then it makes sense that the band doesn't want him to play guitar, that's all. I never said the bassist has to be the suckiest member.

He never said why they don't want him to play guitar other than them not wanting to drop the guitar themselves, which is somewhat selfish in a way, if the guy is better, wouldn't that help the band??? and it's not like they desperately need a bassist so they can't afford to make him a guitarist, they already have somebody else waiting to play with them.

Also, they are not Metallica, let's be honest, have Rob play guitar would mean James not playing, which would enrage fans for breaking "tradition", also, they'd have to get yet another bassist, which means paying one more guy, I don't think Lars would like that. The guys here are just one random band, nobody will care if the singer stops playing guitar and if they have dreams of making it big, they have to be smarter and think more of what's better for the band, since it seems they get along with the guy and don't have a problem with him playing with them, if he's a better guitarist who's wanting to play guitar, let him play guitar, it's not like they have to kick someone out, the singer sticks to singing and there you go, guitarist position open, also, the bassist role is open for the other guy who wants to play with them, and if they think he'll leave if he can't play guitar, then that means they'll still have to bring in the "not as good" bassist anyway, so having the best possible bassist may not be a possibility regardless of what they choose to do.

Also check out what he said: "...I could play bass but I dont wanna do that haha" and "I just stick to singing...I dont think I want to do that either. and I only write most of our songs on guitar so I think I'd want to play it". This bassist is their friend, not some random dude, their friend, he filled up the bassist role because they needed one for upcoming gigs, he obviously wasn't desperate to play bass, he'd rather play guitar and the only reason he gives us to not have him do that is because he wouldn't want to drop the guitar, that's all.
Learning sheet music will add to your knowledge of music theory, which will add to your knowledge of writing, which will make your songs sound better, which will make you more popular, which will increase your chances of getting laid.

Last edited by Niiko_Xeneize : 11-04-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Niiko_Xeneize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #22
Jettydeke

Well I'll say this as a bass player... We always get shafted... If a guitar player came along and was like hey guys I'd like to play bass too the bad would be like okay no problem... Well find another guitar player and you and the bass player can switch out some. But a bass player wants to play guitar... That seems to be a big no no in the band world. Just something to think about. I play lead as well and I know for a fact I can play lead better than a lot of people I play in bands with but me "stepping up" to a guitar position is apparently like getting a big promotion at a corporate job. "We need you because you're so good and solid at bass and we really appreciate your artistic nature for music." Yeah right you just don't want to be threatened with losing your chance to play guitar.
Jettydeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
Jettydeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niiko_Xeneize
I never said that, what I mean is that if he's better at guitar than them it'd be a waste not to let him play the guitar, which is what supposedly he really wants to do, but if he's not better then any of them, then it makes sense that the band doesn't want him to play guitar, that's all. I never said the bassist has to be the suckiest member.

He never said why they don't want him to play guitar other than them not wanting to drop the guitar themselves, which is somewhat selfish in a way, if the guy is better, wouldn't that help the band??? and it's not like they desperately need a bassist so they can't afford to make him a guitarist, they already have somebody else waiting to play with them.

Also, they are not Metallica, let's be honest, have Rob play guitar would mean James not playing, which would enrage fans for breaking "tradition", also, they'd have to get yet another bassist, which means paying one more guy, I don't think Lars would like that. The guys here are just one random band, nobody will care if the singer stops playing guitar and if they have dreams of making it big, they have to be smarter and think more of what's better for the band, since it seems they get along with the guy and don't have a problem with him playing with them, if he's a better guitarist who's wanting to play guitar, let him play guitar, it's not like they have to kick someone out, the singer sticks to singing and there you go, guitarist position open, also, the bassist role is open for the other guy who wants to play with them, and if they think he'll leave if he can't play guitar, then that means they'll still have to bring in the "not as good" bassist anyway, so having the best possible bassist may not be a possibility regardless of what they choose to do.

Also check out what he said: "...I could play bass but I dont wanna do that haha" and "I just stick to singing...I dont think I want to do that either. and I only write most of our songs on guitar so I think I'd want to play it". This bassist is their friend, not some random dude, their friend, he filled up the bassist role because they needed one for upcoming gigs, he obviously wasn't desperate to play bass, he'd rather play guitar and the only reason he gives us to not have him do that is because he wouldn't want to drop the guitar, that's all.

So let's say the bass player who wants to play guitar is not only better at guitar but also bass would it be a waste to have him play guitar and have the worse bass player play bass, or is guitar just that much more important than bass that only the best can be guitarist?
Jettydeke is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: