Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Green_Ghoul

Bla-bla-bla switching 1x15 to 2x12

is it possible? I have a lectrolab r700c which is a bass amp with a 15inch speaker. I hear it can get muddy sounding for the type of music I'm into.

Would it be possible to turn it into a 2x12? If so, how?
Green_Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

free bump day

This kind of depends on how big the cab is. 2 - 12" speakers take up a fair amount of room. If this is a 1x15 cab now I am assuming it only has 1 fifteen inch hole. You'd have to replace the baffle if I'm understanding you correctly. Seems like a lot of work. Can you get us some pics?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Ghoul
is it possible? I have a lectrolab r700c which is a bass amp with a 15inch speaker. I hear it can get muddy sounding for the type of music I'm into.

i have a music man 115-65 with a 15" speaker in it, it actually sounds great. give the 15" speaker a try before changing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
This kind of depends on how big the cab is. 2 - 12" speakers take up a fair amount of room. If this is a 1x15 cab now I am assuming it only has 1 fifteen inch hole. You'd have to replace the baffle if I'm understanding you correctly. Seems like a lot of work. Can you get us some pics?

that is most of the issues right there. you'll have to size the new baffle that will be needed and see if it'll fit into the enclosure. from the pics i am looking at this doesn't seem very possible.

another issue will be moding the wiring harness to the new 2x12 arrangement and then to match the impedance to what the amp would expect.

another possibility is to get an extension cab, but this amp looks like the speakers are hardwired to the chassis with no external speaker out.

moding the amp for 2x12 capabilities may be more effort than it is worth. especially if it already has a bitchin jenson 15" speaker in it.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

crap - i was not even paying attention to the fact that this was an amp :bork:

cell phone posting fail

Rate This Thread: