Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
mikey85123

Chip out of finish

On my new guitar there is a very small chip out of the top coat finish that is thick enough to catch your finger nail. I suspect it is from the guy who set the guitar up because it is right at the edge of the backing plate for bridge access.

I am ocd enough to find this minor issue, but I'm not really stressed about it. My question is should I just let it be or should I apply something to the area to keep it from spreading? We are talking something the size of a BB or smaller.
mikey85123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

I'd just leave it, i've never in 18 years of playing noticed a chip that spread so I should think it will be fine in that respect. And besides, it's on the back so it's not like it's going to be seen much.

I do understand though, I'm really quite precious about my guitars too and my RR3 went about 7 years before it received its first ding in the paint. And that's without being in a case 99% of the time, it has done well!
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
mikey85123

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheMessiah30
I'd just leave it, i've never in 18 years of playing noticed a chip that spread so I should think it will be fine in that respect. And besides, it's on the back so it's not like it's going to be seen much.

I do understand though, I'm really quite precious about my guitars too and my RR3 went about 7 years before it received its first ding in the paint. And that's without being in a case 99% of the time, it has done well!

Thanks for the advice. I am going to live with it haha.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

It depends... How new is the guitar? If you just got home from the shop you should be headed back for a return. If you've had it a while then just live with it.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
It depends... How new is the guitar? If you just got home from the shop you should be headed back for a return. If you've had it a while then just live with it.

A valid point actually, I didn't notice the the TS said new guitar! Two hours sleep does not make for a well functioning brain.
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

It was probably chiped because the tech used a hard object (probably a flat screwdriver) to get the cover off. Many covers will stick and be hard to remove with out a little persuasion when they are new.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
mikey85123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
It was probably chiped because the tech used a hard object (probably a flat screwdriver) to get the cover off. Many covers will stick and be hard to remove with out a little persuasion when they are new.

This is what I am guessing. This guy is really nice though and setup the guitar exactly how I wanted, so I will just live with it. It is very small. I will keep an eye on it and as long as it remains small I will live with it.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
J_W

If it bothers you, take clear nail polish and put a drop on the chip. It will level itself and dry hard.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: