Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #21
OnlyTwin

So, before anyone posted anything about the sketchy bits, I went ahead with the trade. I barely saw all these new posts pertaining to the "Made in ___" and the trem lock. I'm now realizing that this was a bad trade. I want to get a better Strat, but I would first need to get rid of this one. What should I do?
OnlyTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfreitag
you paid $500 for the guitar, but you wont be able to sell it for that. you'll always pay more at a store, and if you were going to sell it you'd be looking at something similar to his price.

Exactly, you can see how much MIM Strats sell for on ebay. Maybe new ones run about $500 but used they are much cheaper, maybe half that.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #23
OnlyTwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
Exactly, you can see how much MIM Strats sell for on ebay. Maybe new ones run about $500 but used they are much cheaper, maybe half that.

I tried $250 on CL, and I almost got a bite, but the guy stayed away because of the whole tremolo/trem lock situation.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
ne14t

Odds are with the issues as described there will be no way for you to make a trade that would be beneficial to you, and unless you like hemorrhaging money you should cut your losses and just keep that guitar and save up for the one you really want.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
OnlyTwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
Odds are with the issues as described there will be no way for you to make a trade that would be beneficial to you, and unless you like hemorrhaging money you should cut your losses and just keep that guitar and save up for the one you really want.

But I mean, can't I make atleast a single Benjamin off of selling it?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #26
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTwin
But I mean, can't I make atleast a single Benjamin off of selling it?

You might be better off just buying a mighty mite replacement neck and using the same body(assuming that the body is a MIM strat body).
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
zl1288

Yea, it seems like you messed up trade value wise. Can't see the pics of the strat you traded for, but it sounds like you got a partscaster. Doesn't mean it's that bad of a trade though... Does it play well/sound good? If so, just keep it and save your pennies for a nice strat.

If you don't like it, just continue to try to sell it. Craigslist is flooded with strats, so you will have to be patient. I wouldn't buy a replacement neck, if it sells (even with a replacement neck) you are probably looking at around $250 tops. I wouldn't sink any additional money into it.
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #28
OnlyTwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
Yea, it seems like you messed up trade value wise. Can't see the pics of the strat you traded for, but it sounds like you got a partscaster. Doesn't mean it's that bad of a trade though... Does it play well/sound good? If so, just keep it and save your pennies for a nice strat.

If you don't like it, just continue to try to sell it. Craigslist is flooded with strats, so you will have to be patient. I wouldn't buy a replacement neck, if it sells (even with a replacement neck) you are probably looking at around $250 tops. I wouldn't sink any additional money into it.

Yeah, I figured if I could get atleast $100-$150 to start me off on buying another strat, I might as well sell it. I mean, it sounds good, but I never did LOVE the guitar. I almost sold it for $250 but the buyer did some talking with a Fender expert or something, so it was no deal. Stuck with this bad trade.

Here's the damage though:
http://i49.tinypic.com/34pcoro.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/1hce2x.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2cg0pzt.jpg
Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #29
Controlpanel
qɐuuǝp

Doesn't look too bad...is that goo or glue residue I can see?
Originally Posted by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Controlpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
Huge Guy

You could try listing the Strat on ebay. You won't have to deal with people trying to negotiate with you or lowball.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #31
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
You could try listing the Strat on ebay. You won't have to deal with people trying to negotiate with you or lowball.

Possibly this. Although eBay and paypal take their cut from every sale, and the cost of shipping is typical a loss for the seller, so you might not be better off in the end.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #32
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
the cost of shipping is typical a loss for the seller, so you might not be better off in the end.

Some people do offer free shipping but I personally wouldn't so that on something that'll only sell for a couple of hundred bucks. When I sell a guitar online I charge $35 for UPS shipping, this includes all the packing materials I need to buy.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #33
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Some people do offer free shipping but I personally wouldn't so that on something that'll only sell for a couple of hundred bucks. When I sell a guitar online I charge $35 for UPS shipping, this includes all the packing materials I need to buy.

The seller typically pays for the shipping in one way or another. The buyer has an idea of how much they are willing a pay for a guitar, and that usually includes the shipping. For that reason and for the seller fees, I prefer CL. But I live in a big city, so finding a buyer isn't too difficult.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #34
jeffo46

I would just swap out the bridge pickup in your guitar, for a new Humbucker single coil. I wouldn't trust anything from Craig's List. If money is a issue, go to www.musiciansfriend.com and get yourself a Duncan Designed Detonator Single coil. They only sell for 30 bucks and are amazing for the price. It'll give you the punch that you're looking for , trust me on this one . It's a Twin Blade design that totally kicks ass.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #35
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
The seller typically pays for the shipping in one way or another. The buyer has an idea of how much they are willing a pay for a guitar, and that usually includes the shipping. For that reason and for the seller fees, I prefer CL. But I live in a big city, so finding a buyer isn't too difficult.

Fair enough but sale prices seem to be a big higher on CL than ebay.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #36
Bhaok
The evil old man

Sell it or just hang it on the wall as a piece of art if it is unplayable. Then save your pennies and buy what you think you wanted in the first place.

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Bhaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #37
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Fair enough but sale prices seem to be a big higher on CL than ebay.

I've always thought priced were higher on eBay? For example, when I was selling my Gibson, I saw that they often went for about $750 on eBay w/ shipping. I tried for a while to get even $750, then $700 on CL and no one was interested. Finally I made a new add saying that I would sell it for $650, no less, because that's what I'll make on eBay after shipping and fees. Took about a week, but I got $650 for it. CL is a great tool for bother sellers and buyers, but it's especially great for buyers.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 11-03-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Rate This Thread: