User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-16-2015, 02:20 AM   #6481
Fat Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
How is the Big Bang a being?

How isn't it? (I realize thats bad argument and no proof, but hey, its not like it was an 'explosion'. Shit just moved out for some reason)
Old 08-16-2015, 03:01 AM   #6482
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Lard
How isn't it? (I realize thats bad argument and no proof, but hey, its not like it was an 'explosion'. Shit just moved out for some reason)

Well, because it's an event (as we usually refer to it). I wouldn't call it a being, since it's not an entity that has some sort of power, control or experiences over things or itself. The Big Bang just happened, and I doubt it's what we refer to as a "powerful being that controls the universe" when we refer to stuff like God, spirituality, etc.

I'd like to distinguish being and entity though, since I guess stuff like what's expressed in spirituality or other religions may not be a conscious being (like a god) but rather some immaterial entity/force/whatever or something. Still, it'd be a singular thing that has power over everything (somehow).
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #6483
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

the word "being" is not a very useful word in this context. meaning far too ambiguous
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #6484
Weaponized
Creaky

haven't you guys watched akira jeez

last.fm
Weaponized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #6485
Bikewer

Does seem rather odd to equate pure energy at an extreme state of density and heat with a "being".
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #6486
Fat Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
Does seem rather odd to equate pure energy at an extreme state of density and heat with a "being".

Does seem odd to make an x thing that we have such low understanding of into a scientific, vacuous quality, no?

As I said earlier, Heidegger breaks down being the best, and how to avoid the nihilistic modernist thought. But here's a part from a book Im reading by Iain D. Thompson:

A footnote, but, "His point is not that being is God - the way God 'is' - without using the word being"... but instead that being is the Godhead of God I.e. "God" is only one of the names by which being shows itself, a showing that, even in the richest polytheism, does not exhaust being"

A lot more to it but you would just have to read more on Heidegger's conceptions of being
Old 08-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #6487
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

I'm not familiar with Heidegger in this issue, but...are we talking about the same thing?
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: