Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
lemonstar

Exclamation Is my guitar fake one?

I bought a new Yamaha Guitar and When you look inside the guitar hole it looks like the model number is written by hand. Can you please tell me if this one is a fake one or not?

I have attached a pic below. Thanks!

lemonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Torn_Asunder
Excellent

do you have a pic of the headstock/whole guitar?
Torn_Asunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Captaincranky

I think real Japanese Yamahas are limited editions. That would explain a low, or hand written serial number.

Was this a high dollar investment?

Ibanez makes their high end stuff on the mainland also. The rest is from China and Indonesia. Possibly Cort might be the OEM for some of it.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
stepchildusmc

i'm with cranky, what model is this? is it a brand new guitar or a "new to you" new guitar?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
lemonstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn_Asunder
do you have a pic of the headstock/whole guitar?

Here you go:

I bought this for 125 dollars.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
lemonstar

I bought this for 125 dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
i'm with cranky, what model is this? is it a brand new guitar or a "new to you" new guitar?

Its new to me. I don't know what model is this. The model number written inside the guitar hole is kind of unreadable as show in the first image.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #7
ethan_hanus
The BKP Guy

Nobody is going to fake a $125 Yamaha if they have 2 brain cells, it's not a fake.
ethan_hanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
lemonstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
Nobody is going to fake a $125 Yamaha if they have 2 brain cells, it's not a fake.

Then why the model number unreadable? And the number on it cannot be found on Yamaha website.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hanus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonstar
Then why the model number unreadable? And the number on it cannot be found on Yamaha website.
The Japanese have the same labor issue as the US. Wages are sky high for qualified personnel.

Accordingly, in the same way Epiphones are Gibsons made in China, all of the big time instrument makers take their low to mid range production off the mainland. As long as 4 decades ago, Pioneer Electronics was splitting its production between Japan, and other places around the Pacific Rim. 20 watts per channel receivers came from Singapore, and the 75 watt per channel flagship was made in Japan.

Japanese musical instrument makers are moving their production to China, the same as every other manufacturing operation in the world.

My only point here is, it's highly unlikely that a $125.00 guitar was made in Japan. That only makes the paper inside the guitar fake.

Other possibilities exist, the guitar is from a lot that was stolen. The guitar is a factory second and restickered. I guess it could be a "fake" that isn't really a fake.

My best guess is that you should just enjoy the guitar, whatever it's story may be. It looks like it's worth $125.00. How does it sound?

To answer Mr. Hanus' question. It's easier to sell a branded $125.00 guitar, than an unbranded $125.00 guitar. Assuming both cost the same to make, the one branded "Yamaha" would likely sell faster.

This search term netted quite a few results, "Where are Yamaha guitars manufactured"? Copy and paste in into Google, see what comes up.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 07-07-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #10
lemonstar

It sounds good and thank you very much for your reply.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
EvaBrain
Banned

It would be almost impossible to tell whether a good fake was a fake from photographs. You would need someone who knew Yamahas to take a look at it. However the one place that a guitar will not suffer some wear is inside the sound hole. It looks like a good guitar from the pictures, are there any other clues i.e. on the machine heads, that this may be a cheap fake. Yamaha have produced some very cheap but excellent musical instruments for many years. Their Japan made 20th century instruments may well become the instruments of legend in the near future.
EvaBrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: