Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
Fret Frier

How do I adjust action and check setup?

Just bought an MIM strat for $250 on Craigslist. It has a great look, feel, and sound. However, the strings are a bit too high off the fretboard. The B and High E strings are higher than the other strings. Is it hard to fix? I really don't want to mess this up. How can I accurately measure and make sure that it is set up right? I'm going to put a new set of strings on that we're included in the deal. Is it best to adjust without strings?
Fret Frier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
stormin1155

stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
dspellman

Buy a book called "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Erlewine. Should be around $20 on Amazon. Best $20 you'll spend on your guitar.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
sinofian
Who? Me??!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
Buy a book called "How To Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Erlewine. Should be around $20 on Amazon. Best $20 you'll spend on your guitar.

Came here to say this!

It's a great reference for any guitar player.
sinofian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
kennym9898

Having some setup tools are helpful. http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool..._Setup_Kit.html
If they set the B and E up higher at the bridge they may have been trying to compensate for some frets that are high or low which can be checked with a fret rocker.
kennym9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Fret Frier

Am I going to have to regret the whole thing?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

no, it's so easy, probably start by assuming the truss rod /relief is ok. Just lower the bridge (or if it has individual saddle adj, do those)until you like the action and check it out, let us know if it still has a problem
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
Fret Frier

So am I understanding this right? Dont buy all these tools or pay someone to do it, just lower the bridge and see what happens?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #9
Tony Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret Frier
So am I understanding this right? Dont buy all these tools or pay someone to do it, just lower the bridge and see what happens?

You need to check neck relief first, and adjust it if necessary. There should be a very small gap between the 7th fret and the bottom 6th string when you press down on the headstock side of the 1st fret and the bridge side of the heel fret.* - About the thickness of a business card, no more than a credit card. This needs the correct wrench for the truss rod nut, but they aren't anything you can't get at Home Depot

* Before anyone argues with this, I check the relief from about the 9th fret to the highest fret as a separate issue, since it isn't affected by truss rod adjustments. - If there is significant relief or a hump in that area, fret leveling is needed to fix it.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
Fret Frier

All this seems a little over my head, trying to make sense of this the best I that I can. What exactly has to be done before I lower the bridge? I have some fret buzz on the E,A,and G strings. The high E and B are too high... I néed instruction in the simplest terms. I am new to all of this
Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 PM   #11
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

yeah, like I said just lower it, don't worry about tools or doing anything else. At worst it will be better, if it still sucks take it for a setup, if you have buzz already with it high, it will need a truss adj, that is easy too if you have the tool. Look up the how to set up sticky

Last edited by Tempoe : 08-01-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
Fret Frier

Ok, the strings that do not buzz are sky high. It is weird to me that the strings are on different levels. I guess I will try lowering it.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #13
Fret Frier

Alright so I fixed the action, not too high or too low. I am still getting some buzz on strings. Seems to buzz mainly on the lower frets... Is this neck relief ?

Rate This Thread: