User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 AM   #41
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmike
Tom... totally agree. Only person here who mentioned such was the dreamydancer. My point was play what you enjoy. If the guy doesnt enjoy using a pick, even if it most likely ******ing his progress then he should NOT use a pick. As I mentioned its music.. play what you like how you like.

As I also mentioned in the same sentence I believe is when you hit platues or blocks then you know its time to expand and look at different techniques, etc

So despite a total failure by some to read what was actually posted, I believe most of the responses here (including yours) echo what I said. The no pick doesnt not equal bad technique... might have some limitations (totally agree) but isnt regarded as poor technique.

Maybe I am the anomaly, but most of my good technique comes from watching experienced players play. Thats who showed and taught me... everyone from Justin guitar to Clapton and the kid who sounds really good at guitar center. Look. Learn. Expand. Evaluate... but most of all enjoy.

I'm just going to ask you one question: at what point did I say that not using a pick was bad technique?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #42
fishmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
Your advice isnt even good for a bumpersticker mate...

If the guy doesnt enjoys a pick its because he wasnt taught right in the first place( or more accurately not at all) so instead of actually learn it right you advice to ignore the problem wing it again with fingers, hit a brick wall again....and so on....like i said....not even good advice for a bumpersticker.Winging it isnt a teaching method .....

If you hit a brick wall when learning, you dont really know why(cause you are not the teacher you are the student ) so not only you have no idea if your technique was bad in the first place but what to do to fix it....with that mindset whatever technque you try you ll have the same problems.

Of course the main issue here is that in your case we have to define what "playing guitar" means....cause a cousin of mine for example strums a few chords,sings a couple of songs but if you ask him he ll say...i can definately play the guitar..its not that big of a deal .he ll also say..use whatever man...strum with your pick,fingernails tonque its all good(like the great philoshoper ana faris would say) .

Now leave the weekend warrior level and try that with a guy who plays classical guitar for example....say to him "you can use whatever man if you are not comfortable with fingers use a pick...just have fun its all that matters".The guy ll look at you and say..."are you high?" "try using a pick on a classical guitar and see how far you can go"..

You ll get the same answer from any serious performer violinist,pianist whatever.....there is no "my body is different thats why i cant adjust to this technique" bullshit and lazy copouts.....they sit their asses down and learn what they need to learn...

So the next time you see a little hello kitty type 12 year old girl with a ponytail making a classical guitar(or a violin or whatever) her bitch is cause she sat down and learn it properly from the get go.if she did it your way she would still play twinkle twinkle little star with finger and....nose .

6 paragraphs and you have managed to say nothing. I believe they are missing you on the my little pony thread
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #43
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
6 paragraphs and you have managed to say nothing. I believe they are missing you on the my little pony thread

Well at least iam posting in the right section...cause following your reasoning there shouldnt even be a technique section on the forum....just a sticky saying "just play your music guys and everything ll fall into place ."
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #44
fishmike

its not my intention to derail this thread. Let me say playing music and taking up guitar has been everything I could have ever hoped for and continues to be. For me its a creative outlet. Something that allows me to express myself and thats very personal. Some folks like a large amount of structure when learning new things. I am not able to learn that way. I must do to learn and often I learn the most from my own mistakes, understanding whats not working and making corrections.

I would never suggest to someone that bad technique is OK. You never want to hurt yourself and anyone looking to start playing should take in the advice on these forums regarding good technique, posture, things like that. However one of the things that makes guitar so versatile is there are so many ways to play it.

My point was simply to do that... play it. Experiment. Enjoy. Practice. Learn. Enjoy. Play. Learn. Enjoy and most of all express. Most of the advice here is good. Some of it is tainted with folk's desperate need to be right, but even then it can still be good. Dont be cavalier with your body or intrument. Nobody wants to see someone hurt themselves or their instrument. However continue to experiment and enjoy and as I said in my first post if that means using your fingers go for it. If your playing and enjoying and growing your doing it right. When you hit a wall expand. Learn more. Pick up that pick, or tackle some challenge that requires a large amount of practice you have been putting off.

Sorry again to the TS who was just looking for some friendly feedback. Hope your able to take something from all of this.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #45
fishmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
Well at least iam posting in the right section...cause following your reasoning there shouldnt even be a technique section on the forum....just a sticky saying "just play your music guys and everything ll fall into place ."

That was never my reasoning but continue to pretend so to support your arguem... wait, there is no arguement your making as your saying nothing.

You win. Your the smartest. Your the better guitar genius. Your a good person. Now you can happily go back to moms basement and continue recording lessons on your awesome channel that 400 other guys on the internet have already covered. Cheers.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #46
bondmorkret

Loads of electric guitar players manage just fine without plectrum, so I wouldn't worry about that!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #47
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
That was never my reasoning but continue to pretend so to support your arguem... wait, there is no arguement your making as your saying nothing.

You win. Your the smartest. Your the better guitar genius. Your a good person. Now you can happily go back to moms basement and continue recording lessons on your awesome channel that 400 other guys on the internet have already covered. Cheers.

Dont worry about it those lessons is for the 99% percent of folks...you dont need em anyway.... you just eat,pray,love and everything falls into place ....thanks for contributing nothing but hot air.....

Rate This Thread: