User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
ibrahimasood
Is cooler than you

Lydian Mode

Hey guys,

just quick question on the Lydian mode, in what kind of chord progression can I use the Lydian mode?

I have learned the fingering position of it and i know that it's the sharpened 4th note in a major scale but I want to know, when can I use it?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

if you're using a progression it's not in a mode

you're using a scale, which is a series of intervals

over any chord, you are free to use any of the 12 notes available to you. dissonance will make them seem unsalvagable at first based on context, but by utilizing ornamentation (or, in the grand scheme, causing almost thematic or dragged out sequences of extreme tension and resolution as is not uncommon since postmodernism and irony comes in and out of style) you'll get better use out of knowing the notes in the chord - and how they interact with all the notes you can play at any given time - than you ever will by learning your scales and "modes"

but first you'll need to train your ear and gain a good amount of real-time logical competency. this comes from transcription and learning music by ear rather than through notation or tablature, and it's how you go from "guy who plays what's on the page" to "composer"

your move, TS
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
chronowarp

Chord progressions progress, that is a feature of key based music. Keys encompass modes, and you will not be able to effectively communicate the unique qualities of a mode by playing a series of progressing chords. Instead, use 1, possibly 2 chords that simply imply the mode. Or play over a single drone note of the tonic.

For lydian try playing I-II, or just over a sustained maj7#11.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Here's a couple of chords for you to practice A Lydian. The question is, do you understand how I got these chords?

4/4 1 bar each. Amaj7 > B/A
Code:
--- -5-4 -6-4 -6-4 -0-0 ---

Last edited by mdc : 01-03-2013 at 04:23 PM.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
blazing riff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
Chord progressions progress, that is a feature of key based music. Keys encompass modes, and you will not be able to effectively communicate the unique qualities of a mode by playing a series of progressing chords. Instead, use 1, possibly 2 chords that simply imply the mode. Or play over a single drone note of the tonic.

For lydian try playing I-II, or just over a sustained maj7#11.

+1
blazing riff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Lydian is great for Maj7 chords. Look into how its implemented by other artists and then see what you can do with it first, I think you're missing context, also what everyone else said^.

show

Also a chord progression in E, if you have tab software.
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 lydian chords.gp4 (1.4 KB, 13 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Hail
kill both bass players

why would you want to play lydian anyway at most you'll sound like a distorted, lyricless hymn
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist

I've always loved the primary theme in this piece. You could describe it as Lydian harmony I suppose.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
why would you want to play lydian anyway at most you'll sound like a distorted, lyricless hymn

+1
If you want to play lydian because you like the lydian sound, then you must understand that that the dreamy open sound that the mode has comes from the dissonance caused by the scale having the augmented fourth. If you want, in a major key you could still use that augmented fourth as a common passing tone in your licks and melodies.

The only difference is that you will have the liberty to also hit all the other chromatic notes and play other weirdly voiced/put together chords instead of having to drone a note or play 2 chords back and forth for 5 minutes and be stuck to 7 notes and sound like a ****ing ****ity **** **** ****.

But, if you want to just get the lydian sound in you ear and write some lydian licks, then just done the low E string and figure out licks in the E lydian scale (E-F#-G#-A#-B-C#-D#).
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Hail
kill both bass players

you're getting a little better at this "just agreeing with me" thing mac

don't be daunted by all the numbers and big words you don't understand, btw, TS. the best way to learn them would be to slowly work through lessons in a textbook or through musictheory.net to get a solid foundation

theory, like most school subjects, only goes so far when all you can do is learn terminology and answer test questions. without practicality, without a functional understanding, without a solid ear and an urge to better your craft, you'd be better off learning to be mute than deaf around other musicians.

hence, i'd recommend starting off doing as i initially recommended (if you're serious, i mean, otherwise you'll dick around for a few weeks/months/years and come back with the same problem) and ignore tablature and just start learning other peoples' music

over time, it just starts to feed into your brain, and you'll be able to hum a little melody you thought of. then that melody becomes a melody and some chords under it. then you have a horn section and you need to hurry up and get out of the shower and into your DAW before you forget the masterpiece you just created - and you'll have the skills to do so.

Last edited by Hail : 01-03-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
then you have a horn section and you need to hurry up and get out of the shower and into your DAW before you forget the masterpiece you just created - and you'll have the skills to do so.

Just be careful you don't slip and go ass over tit. It's only the ****ing Lydian mode.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
you're getting a little better at this "just agreeing with me" thing mac

I score very low on agreeableness on the Big Five Personality Test template. So there.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
The only difference is that you will have the liberty to also hit all the other chromatic notes and play other weirdly voiced/put together chords
*shrug* Not everyone wants to do that.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
Just be careful you don't slip and go ass over tit. It's only the ****ing Lydian mode.

did i ever tell you i love you ahhahaha
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap

You have the liberty to not do that as well if you want. It's all good in the hood
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madcap

it's knowing you can. it helps you to understand each note as a measure of dissonance rather than "in" "out" or "chord tone".

you have a lot more control in what you can do with an understanding that there are no truly wrong notes. over time, this should be clear just by transcription and getting a good intuition for melody/harmony/rhythm/etc., but notes are absolutely overprioritized by many guitarists - or rather, sets of notes that allow you to fiddle without sounding bad but also in a way that's very hard to sound good - and it's one of those things no one thinks about until you point it out.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
it's knowing you can. it helps you to understand each note as a measure of dissonance rather than "in" "out" or "chord tone".

you have a lot more control in what you can do with an understanding that there are no truly wrong notes. over time, this should be clear just by transcription and getting a good intuition for melody/harmony/rhythm/etc., but notes are absolutely overprioritized by many guitarists - or rather, sets of notes that allow you to fiddle without sounding bad but also in a way that's very hard to sound good - and it's one of those things no one thinks about until you point it out.
I like this outlook.

It shouldn't be about "choosing to stick to diatonic notes" or "choosing to use chromatic notes." You simply play the notes that you want to play. Each note has it's own set of implications based on whatever context surrounds it.

Refer to my sig.

Last edited by food1010 : 01-04-2013 at 12:45 AM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #18
ibrahimasood
Is cooler than you

thanks guys

Rate This Thread: