Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
snuffaluffagus

Out of tune barre chords/B string not staying in tune/loosing patience

Hello folks,

So I have encountered an extremely irritating issue with my guitar, and i'm starting to lose my patience.

The problem is new (possibly about a month)

I have a yamaha acoustic nylon string. Its treated me wonderfully for the past 5 years, until now. The problem now is that the guitar sounds in tune when playing open chords, and is in tune, however if barre chords are played, or if a capo is placed on it, it is not in tune anymore. Mainly the B-string goes out of whack.

I did change the strings a month ago, which was when the problem came about. First i figured its the new strings, but now ive let them stretch out and settle in so it cant be that anymore.

Even when tuning with a tuner(with a capo on) it reads that its in tune, but it sure doesn't sound like it.

Its driving me nuts!! Please, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated! (before i just take it the shop for maintenance)

Thank you in advance!!
snuffaluffagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
mpatton

Is the B string detuning when you're not playing? If so, you might not have tied it properly around the bridge or tuner.
mpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
snuffaluffagus

Checked out the situation and no, it is not detuning on its own.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
tom183

Quote:
The problem now is that the guitar sounds in tune when playing open chords, and is in tune, however if barre chords are played, or if a capo is placed on it, it is not in tune anymore. Mainly the B-string goes out of whack.

Any frets/barre chords in particular?
tom183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
snuffaluffagus

After the 2nd fret barre chords it starts to go out of tune. if i pop a capo on the fourth fret it sound horrible.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Bikewer

Couple of things.... It's very unusual with modern guitars, but the intonation could be faulty. Get an accurate tuner, and check the open string against the fretted note at the 12th fret. Should be the same.
If not.... The easy solution is that the action is too high and your capo or your fretting is "pulling the string sharp. Essentially, the string is being moved too far and this is pulling it out of tune.

If the action is adjusted properly, and the intonation is bad.... There is a very limited amount of adjustment available by cutting relief into the saddle.
You often see commercial saddles made like this.... "Compensated". The "B" string is often the culprit.
Of course, you only have the width of the saddle to work with.
If that's the case, best to have a technician look at it.. It's a trial-and-error sort of thing.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: