Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
sake13211

What amp should i get?!?!

Alright so i've been looking for a little while, I need a new amp, i usually play soft rock to heavy metal, i have pedals so im not really in need of an amp with a bunch of effects built in, that being said, i dont have all the money in the world, i have about 350 to spend on one, whether it be new or used, i want something with some power too, lookin for about 100w give or take, i saw the fender frontman 212r.. good for the price but people are saying its not to great for metal, i was also looking at a fender superchamp X2 with a cab but im not 100% sure because i dont really understand tubes and stuff, it says 15w tube amp with 80w cab, so i have to questions here, can someone explain to me how tube amps work and why only 15w head would work with an 80 w cab and also, what amp should i get?! please and thank you!!
sake13211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Home use or gigging?

What part of the world to you live in? Maybe we can find you something used.

As far as the wattage goes- you want your cab rated higher than your head so you don't blow your speakers when you are playing full tilt.

If you get a head and cab then you need a speaker cable between them- instrument cable wires are too thin and can't handle the current. This can cause damage to your amp.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
sake13211

well as of right now i am playing at home but i want to have the option to do gigging in the future without having to go out and by another amp. i live in quebec canada
Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Guitarbaddie
Get an amp

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

In the future, use that format for making "which gear?" threads.

For that price, I would usually say an used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. But if you have a bunch of pedals already, then maybe looking at a non-modelling amp isn't a bad idea.
I like knobs.
Guitarbaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Also what type of metal? That would be a big help.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
sake13211

fair enough, i have an epiphone les paul standard 100 with a dimarzio bridge pick up and as for pedals i have a digitech metal master, DOD death metal distortion, behringer Noise reducer, Ibanez soundtank Digital delay DL5, i have steves music store near me, its the best music store around, other than that i have good ol' kijiji , i found something that seems to be good but im no expert, heres a link, just put them together cuz it wont let me put a link

http://montreal. kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-Fender-super-champ-x2-hd-tete-15w-lampes-cabinet-annee-2011-A1-W0QQAdIdZ475691433
Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

That's no the best option for metal by a long shot...

what type of metal do you play?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

If you won't use the format we ask, you could at least use paragraphs. That is a wall of text and just too damn hard to read.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
sake13211

well i'll just list most things i play : lamb of god, august burns red, a7x, bullet for my valentine, a day to remember, 5FDP, foo fighters the offspring, protest the hero, senses fail, System of a down, and some other stuff, Before i get a thousand people saying they arent metal i know!!, some are some arent, this is the kind of stuff i play usually
Old 04-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #10
Clarkinator

You could find something decent used. I got a Peavey Classic 50 used for $400...been really pleased with it.

Not sure you need that many watts for just playing by yourself or small gigs. I have a 50 watt amp (hence its name) and I rarely turn it up past 5 when playing live (it goes to 12).
Clarkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 AM   #11
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I would look for a Marshall DSL401 used. They are 3 channel with reverb and a master volume. Clean, over drive and distortion.

You won't be doing Lamb of God on it without a boost to tighten it up and push it further. Also if you stick a patch cable in the FX loop and turn it max it gives it more gain as well.

5FDP uses marshalls if I am not mistaken.

You are limited in your price range. I am not really sure what amps go for in Canada but I picked up the last 2 DSL's for $300 USD. Normally they go for $450-500 but you can normally talk people down.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I'd sell all of those pedals and get a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 w/ a Sanpera I or II.

Otherwise sell them except the noise gate (unless you want to get a better one) all and get a Peavey 6505+ 112 & a Tubescreamer of your flavor and an EQ.

The latter option may not be feasible in your budget. The Vypyr Tube would handle everything you want to do better anyway.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 POD HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #13
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Yeah, I hate to say it most of those pedals aren't that great.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #14
sake13211

yeah i mainly use the noise reducer and the metal master, the other ones... not so much
Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I'd sell all of those pedals and get a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 w/ a Sanpera I or II.

Otherwise sell them except the noise gate (unless you want to get a better one) all and get a Peavey 6505+ 112 & a Tubescreamer of your flavor and an EQ.

The latter option may not be feasible in your budget. The Vypyr Tube would handle everything you want to do better anyway.

offworld, i think you nailed it. +3.14159265359
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #16
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

Used Bugera 333 (though it'd be for gigging; it's 120W). 3 channels, so you won't need any dirt pedals. It has a lot of gain on the 3rd channel, too. I agree with the dude saying DSL401, but if you can't talk anyone down (they normally go $400 USD or more in the states), it's a good alternative.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I really really like the SuperChamp and I owned a Frontman. Neither are really good for what you are looking for. The SuperChamp can hit Foo Fighter type stuff but not the rest. The Classic 50 and maybe a Valveking will get you closer but still not all the way there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

^ This

I love my Vypyr 60
Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
dementiacaptain
I'm a bear

I feel like Peavey should start paying us a promotional fee...

TS, the Tube 60 is the shit. Get it, it's awesome.

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: