Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Lord_Westwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I can't up strum on multiple string?

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get better at up strumming several strings at a time as I am awful at it? I can alternate pick on one string fine but when it comes to 2 or more strings I just can't seem to find a pick angle that will work for me? It feels like the strings are about to snap?

I have searched on the forums but I can't find a thread that offers any help, I know the solution is practice but I don't have a clue what to practice!

Thanks in advance
__________________
Westwoodo
Lord_Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Celestus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Angle your pick towards the direction of the strum. That means if you're up-strumming then the tip of your pick should be slightly behind your fingers, and the back of your pick should be the closest to your face (that isnt really clear but I hope you get the idea). If you can do a decent downstrum, just angle your pick in the opposite direction. I'm not sure if that is the correct way, but it works for me.
Celestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
KonaNuNu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
PRACTICE!!!!

Sorry dude. That is the only correct answer.
__________________
Right, my parents are done. At last. My mum went to the toilet, went back in her room and i heard my dad fart really loudly then i heard the hiss of a beer can. What a man.
__________________
KonaNuNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
GuitarQ33r0
Deathcore Messiah
 
GuitarQ33r0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: KCMO
When I first started out my strumming sounded horrible. I stayed away from open chords for just the reason lol. I found that just lose the pick for a while and just strum with your thumb. It will feel more natural and when you get used to it bring back the pick. I always slightly angle my pick when I strum, but their is no right or wrong way, just whatever your comfortable with.
__________________
you're never as free as when you are lost
GuitarQ33r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
J_W
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Try using a thinner pick. I'm going to guess you are using one that is pretty thick.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Lord_Westwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I use a 1mm Dunlop Tortex, I will try a thinner pick or using my thumb, thanks guys!
__________________
Westwoodo
Lord_Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Westwood
I use a 1mm Dunlop Tortex, I will try a thinner pick or using my thumb, thanks guys!


It's not the pick, you're just not very good at it that's all. Also, the strings aren't going to snap, you can really beat the shit out of a decent set of strings and they won't break unless they were going to anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ittei
Matters of small concern should be treated seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Lord_Westwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's not the pick, you're just not very good at it that's all. Also, the strings aren't going to snap, you can really beat the shit out of a decent set of strings and they won't break unless they were going to anyway.


THanks for your input, how would you suggest I practice, I have been searching for a video showing how to do it right and just cannot seem to find one?
__________________
Westwoodo
Lord_Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Westwood
THanks for your input, how would you suggest I practice, I have been searching for a video showing how to do it right and just cannot seem to find one?


I would suggest that you just practice. Strumming up on multiple strings isn't a hard thing you just need to get used to the feeling. Unless you're doing something absolutely horrific I really think it's hard to get this wrong.

Unless you're doing something a little more demanding than you're letting on like trying to play Emperor or something...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ittei
Matters of small concern should be treated seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
J_W
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's not the pick, you're just not very good at it that's all. Also, the strings aren't going to snap, you can really beat the shit out of a decent set of strings and they won't break unless they were going to anyway.


Nobody should be "beating the shit out of the strings" strumming. If it feels like you're going to break the strings, you're obviously strumming way too hard.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
Nobody should be "beating the shit out of the strings" strumming. If it feels like you're going to break the strings, you're obviously strumming way too hard.


I didn't say you should, I said you could.

Besides, if you've never beaten the crap out of the strings you've never been on stage
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ittei
Matters of small concern should be treated seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
demonhellcat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
As someone else said a thinner pick MIGHT help. I use Jazz 3's which have no give but I do hold the pick somewhat loosely when strumming (especially open chords and acoustic). There's a natural balance between holding the pick like a vice grip and dropping the pick every other stroke. You just have to find it. It also sounds like you may be using "too much pick", you really only need a few mm sticking out from your finger and thumb.

The other thing I do is keep my three other fingers curled in like a loose fist or just like you hold a pencil. It's not completely unique but I know a lot of people hold those three fingers out straight.
demonhellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Lord_Westwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I shall give it a go later demonhellcat thanks for the suggestion!
__________________
Westwoodo
Lord_Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
 
mdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Westwood
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get better at up strumming several strings at a time as I am awful at it? I can alternate pick on one string fine but when it comes to 2 or more strings I just can't seem to find a pick angle that will work for me? It feels like the strings are about to snap?

I have searched on the forums but I can't find a thread that offers any help, I know the solution is practice but I don't have a clue what to practice!

Thanks in advance

I'm slightly confused here, cuz you mentioned alternate picking and strumming in that paragraph as if they were related. Are you trying to alternate pick across 2 or more strings?

Or is it literally an upward strum across all 6 strings that you're having trouble with?

Review the position of your forearm down to your wrist to see how it lies in relation to the guitar body.

Also, how tightly or loosely are you gripping the pick?
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Lord_Westwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
I'm slightly confused here, cuz you mentioned alternate picking and strumming in that paragraph as if they were related. Are you trying to alternate pick across 2 or more strings?

Or is it literally an upward strum across all 6 strings that you're having trouble with?

Review the position of your forearm down to your wrist to see how it lies in relation to the guitar body.

Also, how tightly or loosely are you gripping the pick?


I can alternate pick on one string but I can't do a upward strum of 2 or more strings, I have tried using a thinner plectrum and it does help quite a bit but I think I just need to practice more with a thinner pick and then work my way up to a thicker plectrum?

Its always been my one gripe but I kinda just ignored it ( ) I know thats the wrong thing to do so thats why I am trying to get it sorted now!
__________________
Westwoodo
Lord_Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.