Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
iwannaplay2

Scales!?

Any advice on how to memorize scales? If someone asks me to play the scale in the key of A, it starts on the 5th fret right? 5-8 then 5-7 then 5-7 and so on each string, some scales have 3 notes in a string and some scales can be extended into others like the m'ahir and minor scale, is this all right or am I way off?
iwannaplay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannaplay2
Any advice on how to memorize scales? If someone asks me to play the scale in the key of A, it starts on the 5th fret right? 5-8 then 5-7 then 5-7 and so on each string, some scales have 3 notes in a string and some scales can be extended into others like the m'ahir and minor scale, is this all right or am I way off?

1 - There is no "the scale in the key of A" - you need at least a tonality as well (major or minor) before you know what you're playing. The shape you're describing is the A minor pentatonic, it's actually a cut down version of the A minor scale, it basically has all the really 'dangerous' notes taken out.

2 - You can start anywhere on the fretboard, the important thing is that you get the notes right. Using the example of A minor, that's the notes A B C D E F G. Play those and resolve to A and you're playing in A minor.

Further alterations can be made to get more exotic scales and sounds but that's the basic truth of the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
sweetdude3000

To make it easier for you:

1. I'd say start with the pentatonic scale. First shape. Find the 5 shapes on the internet and print out the page as a cheat sheet. Use all 4 fingers to help you learn the shape. When you develop speed you can then move onto using only your ring and index finger.

2. Then learn shapes 2,3,4,5. They are the same notes in each shape, except some notes may be in different octaves as you move to the higher pitches on the fretboard. It's important to learn all the shapes and connect them along the fretboard to play fluidly up and down like you would on a piano.

3. You learn them by learning the shapes by playing it over and over till your blue in the face. Up and down. Add some bends, hammerons, pull offs, slides as you go up and down. I'd say start with one for a month or less and then move onto the other.

4. Learn some basic music theory so you know how the scales are developed. Know your root notes and your ear should help you get there too.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
sweetdude3000

Musictheory.net will help you learn how and why these scales are constructed.

I'd also add that the pentatonic is a 5 tone scale (origins in Eastern music) and diatonic (origins in Western music) is a 7 tone scale. Pentatonic is primarily used in rock. Like zaphod said it eliminates the 'dangerous' or dissonant notes. It's less notes so easier to start with. Blues scale is also good for rock with blues elements, think Black Sabbath or Led Zepplin. Learn the major and minor forms of both and see how they are interrelated.

There are a number of exotic (or less commonly used scales) with interesting flavors. Don't even look at that for now, it's more advanced theory.

The pentatonic will help you start your journey to developing a basic framework.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: