Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
merriman44

1) screams are weird. Its chance when you finally get it but once you have it you shouldn't lose the ability. Therefore the more you do it the higher the chance of success.
2) nah just avoid alky and stay hydrated.
3) jay seems to have a better hold of fry. My focus is more false cord and rasp singing. I have my bastardized fry but can't teach you classical fry technique.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #22
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

well i could use some help getting my false chords back. my lows arent too bad, but i want to get a lot of voice out of my screams, as well as making them more powerful

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #23
merriman44

That's easier. Your biggest problem is muscle and mental atrophy. Its a complex set of motions to create the sound and it will take time to rebuild the nerve pathways and retone those muscles.

So in this case my advice is a bit of the same. Relax everything, use your belly, and practice ad nauseum. It would be different if you'd never done it before, but your just out of practice and that kills a false cord growl quicker than anything else.

Once your back up and running we can work on increasing power
Old 09-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #24
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
That's easier. Your biggest problem is muscle and mental atrophy. Its a complex set of motions to create the sound and it will take time to rebuild the nerve pathways and retone those muscles.

So in this case my advice is a bit of the same. Relax everything, use your belly, and practice ad nauseum. It would be different if you'd never done it before, but your just out of practice and that kills a false cord growl quicker than anything else.

Once your back up and running we can work on increasing power

well like i said, the only reason i was worried and made this post is because, though im simply out of practice, my screams are worse-off than when i first started. thats why i was thinking it might have been something else at first

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #25
merriman44

Not a whole lot yo worry about really. When you get the recording done, we can really dig into the problem I'd there is one
Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #26
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

well i finally have a recording of both my false chord screams, and what im doing to practice my fry screams. please tell me both what im doing right and wrong

id appreciate any constructive feedback!

https://soundcloud.com/alec-thegoat...-of-re-learning

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #27
merriman44

False cords sound fine. You'll be back in the saddle in no time.

Fries aren't fries at all. Your missing the grungey part and instead just doing an ahhh sound. You have to get that crackle down.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #28
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

really? everyone else ive shown my false chord screams to say they need a lot of work, that they need more power, and that my voice is too prevalent in them

and i figured i wasnt even close with my fry screams because ive made no progress at all. this is why i want to find someone in person who actually knows how to do it and can actually personally help me

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 09-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #29
merriman44

Nah, they are just silly. Look, your false cords are indeed weaker than someone that does it all the time but that should be a big duh. Technically speaking, you are fine. Your tone definitely could be improved but it makes it no less a false cord scream. So, with that said, all you need to do is practice often, which is what I meant when I said you'll be back in the saddle in no time.

As far as true voice in a scream. That's a matter of complete taste. I actually like a bit of voice in screams. It adds the body to the voice that really fills it out. Incidentally, this also helps you sit in a mix much better. Having no voice in your screams is like carving out the fundamental frequencies that provide warmth and thickness to a guitar. You still have a guitar tone, it just sucks and gets buried.

Ya, the fries just aren't. As in, they don't exist. I recently got back into practicing fry (mostly due to your and a couple other's interest in the tech) and have the basis for the sound. What you lack is the fizzle, crackle or whatever you would like to call the distortion. Focus solely on getting that sound and let the rest come later.

Edit: All of your techs need some work, as you have said. I would focus on one at a time. In music, folks will more often forgive you a flaw in one area if you are very good at another.

Last edited by merriman44 : 09-19-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #30
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

wel last night, while trying to find that "fry" sound, im almost certain (80% sure) i accidentally found the basis of power fry screams, which i also would be okay with. but id still rather learn regular fry screaming instead.

how do i get it to be less of a power fry and more of a regular fry? because i know their techniques are relatively similar

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #31
merriman44

Power fry is the distorting of the voice in a way that uses more voice and less distortion. It sounds more like a yell. Think bullet for my valentine as opposed to lamb of god.

My power fry is exclusively falsetto based as is username blood reverence.

I can't tell you how to distinguish them except true fry WILL be quieter and more fizzy. When I successfully get a fry scream it feels like a buzzing in my head at about the middle area of the hard pallette. IT feels like I'm almost holding my breath as it doesn't take much air. Its strengthened by opening the throat and mouth and using them as resonance chambers. For me, highs are much easier, akin to the old Sylosis singer.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #32
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Power fry is the distorting of the voice in a way that uses more voice and less distortion. It sounds more like a yell. Think bullet for my valentine as opposed to lamb of god.

My power fry is exclusively falsetto based as is username blood reverence.

I can't tell you how to distinguish them except true fry WILL be quieter and more fizzy. When I successfully get a fry scream it feels like a buzzing in my head at about the middle area of the hard pallette. IT feels like I'm almost holding my breath as it doesn't take much air. Its strengthened by opening the throat and mouth and using them as resonance chambers. For me, highs are much easier, akin to the old Sylosis singer.

bleh, i wish i had someone who could help me in person. trying to figure vocal stuff out is already hard enough, since you cant physically point out the internal muscles that need to be used, let alone trying to figure it out on my own

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Rate This Thread: