Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
RockerMan206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Unhappy As a band we sound bad, but separately we sound great

Hi first of all, my original language is not english, sorry for any bad typing.

Well, as you read, my band sounds bad when we are together but when we play
separately, each of us sounds very good. Any recommendation? We play alternative rock, i dont know if that fact help with the tips. Thanks and please reply!!

This is my first Post by the way, so, Hello to everybody!
RockerMan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
juckfush
UG's Fancy Antsy-Lope!
 
juckfush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Welcome to the forums! Your English is great, by the way.

While you each might have experience playing your instruments by yourselves, whether in the bedroom or in solo performances, you'll need to develop experience playing as an ensemble, which is a whole new skill-set.

For how long have you been playing together, and how often do you play together? Do you have a routine for learning songs together? What are some of the bad things that happen when you play together?

__________________
My Soundcloud Profile - Popular Genre Styles Composed With New Serialist Methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
It's 1am, I picked the first child I saw

Last edited by juckfush : 01-04-2013 at 04:42 AM.
juckfush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
RockerMan206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckfush
Welcome to the forums! Your English is great, by the way.

While you each might have experience playing your instruments by yourselves, whether in the bedroom or in solo performances, you'll need to develop experience playing as an ensemble, which is a whole new skill-set.

For how long have you been playing together, and how often do you play together? Do you have a routine for learning songs together? What are some of the bad things that happen when you play together?



Hi, Weve been playing together for some months, the things that happens are for example, we start playing but i noticed that one of us sound like if hes not playing right or out of tune, so we stop, start playing one by one and everything is alright. If you need more info, please let me know.
RockerMan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
chatterbox272
Registered User
 
chatterbox272's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Perth, Western Australia
So when you say you sound bad as a band what are you talking about exactly? A bad tone probably means you're all using bedroom tones that just won't work in a band setting. If you're all scooped to hell and back then you'll never sound good, do a smaller scoop on the guitars and a mid boost on the bass (I tend to just say the bass should be approximately oppositely EQ'd to the guitars). If it just doesn't 'feel' like it's good then you're probably not as tight as you need to be. Practice together as much as possible, practice having the drummer speed up and slow down slightly and see if the band can follow. Try having the drummer play up infront of the beat while the bass and guitars sit on the beat. Keep doing this stuff until you can all do it perfectly together, so when you play things like tempo changes won't phase you.
__________________
Masquerade: #19


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
cptcomet
Band
 
cptcomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Someone or a few of you might possibly be out of time. Practising together doesn't always mean you're going to get better at being an ensemble, you really need to look at getting it 'tight', meaning you have to practise being in time with each other. Really concentrate on not playing sloppy. I used to have the problem in my old band, everyone thought they were in time, but it wasn't tight enough and it sounded off.

Where are you playing? Playing in a small room will just sound like noise, because the sound will be bouncing off everything. Where you position amps/the drumkit etc also makes a difference.
__________________
455 75 34 88

(・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
cptcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
RockerMan206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
So when you say you sound bad as a band what are you talking about exactly? A bad tone probably means you're all using bedroom tones that just won't work in a band setting. If you're all scooped to hell and back then you'll never sound good, do a smaller scoop on the guitars and a mid boost on the bass (I tend to just say the bass should be approximately oppositely EQ'd to the guitars). If it just doesn't 'feel' like it's good then you're probably not as tight as you need to be. Practice together as much as possible, practice having the drummer speed up and slow down slightly and see if the band can follow. Try having the drummer play up infront of the beat while the bass and guitars sit on the beat. Keep doing this stuff until you can all do it perfectly together, so when you play things like tempo changes won't phase you.

Yes, sounds like a bad tone. Ill try that thing you said with the drummer, thanks.
RockerMan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #7
RockerMan206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcomet
Someone or a few of you might possibly be out of time. Practising together doesn't always mean you're going to get better at being an ensemble, you really need to look at getting it 'tight', meaning you have to practise being in time with each other. Really concentrate on not playing sloppy. I used to have the problem in my old band, everyone thought they were in time, but it wasn't tight enough and it sounded off.

Where are you playing? Playing in a small room will just sound like noise, because the sound will be bouncing off everything. Where you position amps/the drumkit etc also makes a difference.

No, its my living room and its big. How should i place the amps? or what you recommend?
RockerMan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #8
HotspurJr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
There are three main issues:

The first is tuning. You guys all have to be tuned to the same reference. You can't just tune to yourselves. When you say guys sound out of tune, that's a huge red flag.

The second is timing. There's a lot of room for minor variations in timing when you're playing by yourself. In a band, not so much. You may all have to make a point as individuals to work on timing.

The third is the mix. It's not just about the relative volumes, but also about where the space is in the music. Adding musicians together is one of those places where less can be more, and more less. You may all have to play LESS than you would on your own, because the others are each adding something. Effects like delay and reverb which may sound good for an individual musician can turn the entire mix to sludge when applied in a group context (especially if you guys aren't super tight with your timing).

We can't tell you how to place your amps, but start by having everyone turn down - and the drummer play quieter - and really focusing on listening to each other as you play. I know you want to rock out, but you have to develop that skill as a group.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
RockerMan206
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
There are three main issues:

The first is tuning. You guys all have to be tuned to the same reference. You can't just tune to yourselves. When you say guys sound out of tune, that's a huge red flag.

The second is timing. There's a lot of room for minor variations in timing when you're playing by yourself. In a band, not so much. You may all have to make a point as individuals to work on timing.

The third is the mix. It's not just about the relative volumes, but also about where the space is in the music. Adding musicians together is one of those places where less can be more, and more less. You may all have to play LESS than you would on your own, because the others are each adding something. Effects like delay and reverb which may sound good for an individual musician can turn the entire mix to sludge when applied in a group context (especially if you guys aren't super tight with your timing).

We can't tell you how to place your amps, but start by having everyone turn down - and the drummer play quieter - and really focusing on listening to each other as you play. I know you want to rock out, but you have to develop that skill as a group.

Im going to write the issues and later or tomorrow that we practise, check what we are doing wrong. I think probably you are right with the mix of effects probably the only problem is that the effects are not working for the song. Ill check it and tell you guys the issues i noticed in the most recent practise
RockerMan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
HotspurJr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerMan206
I think probably you are right with the mix of effects probably the only problem is that the effects are not working for the song.


I put that third for a reason. I suspect it's a problem, but I suspect the bigger problem is that your timing isn't great. Poor effects choices also won't make you sound out of tune.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.