Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Newah

Fender Telecaster

Whats up guys! Not sure how accurate my Sig is right now, but my current guitar is:

ESP LTD H-1001FM ACSB
2 Seymour Duncan pickups
Locking Tuners
5-way Switch
Neck-Thru joint at the body

Alright so I love this guitar. Versatile with the 5 way switch, nice sustain with neck thru and string thru, but I do have a problem with it. Fret Buzz. I get some pretty bad buzz on it, and I've even played some guitars with lower action and no buzz. I've took it in for a setup last year but it didn't help that much (even right after the setup).

Anyways, I really would like to get a more classy guitar, and one that has a distinct voice. I really like the look and sound of a telecaster as well. Only thing is, is that I love the deep sounds you can get with a humbucker in the neck, and the tight powerful crunch of a humbucker in the bridge. but then again, and tele is hardly a tele without a single coil pickup.

Is there such thing as an HSH telecaster? Or do those Mini humbuckers do justice? I've seen those blacktop telecasters, but wouldn't that be a step down from my current guitar? I don't necessarily want one that's "better" than my current guitar, but definitely on par at the least. Was looking at used American Standard or Specials

EDIT: I play a lot of stuff for my church, and its mostly pre rock type stuff. I love a good crunch, but I seriously use a good amount of heavier distorted playing too.
Effects: Digitech RP355

Last edited by Newah : 11-05-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Newah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

Fender Baja tele
Fender Modern players tele

I have a tele that came stock with a single coil in the bridge and a HB in the neck. I swaped the single out with a JB jr (modified to fit in a tele) and coil tap. I can get a pretty close tele bridge sound and a great Hb sound. I use it for a bit of everything, but it has become my main guitar in my Hardcore/Punk band recently
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
miio

As I've tried the blacktop telecaster I can only recommend it. If you're into telecaster's and want that humbucking sound then its a no-brainer. You could also get a tele and throw one of those single coil sized humbuckers in, ofcourse it won't sound exactly the same as a normal humbucker but still pretty decent. There's also the Jim Root telecaster, swap the pups if you don't want to go with actives
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by miio
As I've tried the blacktop telecaster I can only recommend it. If you're into telecaster's and want that humbucking sound then its a no-brainer. You could also get a tele and throw one of those single coil sized humbuckers in, ofcourse it won't sound exactly the same as a normal humbucker but still pretty decent. There's also the Jim Root telecaster, swap the pups if you don't want to go with actives

Don't forget the J5 tele great guitar
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
Newah

Well, honestly I have a confession. haha I am obsessed with the real wood look on a guitar. IE, trans finish. The Modern players looks pretty insane. Even though its cheap, would it be worth a shot if I swapped some pickups/tuners and maybe even some pots and the bridge/nut?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Newah

bump? anyone think a modern player is worth buying and upgrading hardware? or will QC be bad?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
HammerParty

Does it have to be a tele? You mentioned HSH pickup setup, you could always find a wood-finished Ibanez.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 11-06-2012 at 01:05 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Newah

I really do want a Tele actually. And an Ibanez I think would be a little to similar to my current guitar.

What I want to know now is how does the cheaper Modern Player Telcaster hold up? Is it's QC good so that I can just swap some hardware and pups to turn it into a beast?

and also, those guitars look nice, but none spark out to me. I really just like that classy look/tone of a Fender Telecaster.

Rate This Thread: