Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
OurRequiem

DI box selection

Looking for a good direct input box i can play dry tracks through my amp and really dial in on my tone.

Ive heard good things about the JDI radial box, but ive also heard you want a active DI box for metal?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Radial-...474-i1124766.gc

I also found another for about 100$ cheaper i think was called radial? i cant seem to find it again now. it was blue.

I know they make some pretty cheap ones but im looking for quality and durability as well.

Im fairly new to the whole DI thing so any advice suggestions are welcome. thanks.
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts (converting back to stock)
-Jackson DR7, EMGs (selling)
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w (maybe a veteran30swap?)
OurRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
atza

What is the difference between DI and an guitar dedicated audio interface (like line6 toneports for example) ?
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by atza
What is the difference between DI and an guitar dedicated audio interface (like line6 toneports for example) ?

A DI box converts an unbalanced high impedance guitar signal into a balanced low impedance mic signal. Basically it lets you go into a mixer/interface/whatever as if it was a microphone.

And TS, what you want is not a DI box it's a Reamp box. DI would be for sending it into your interface (if it didn't have one built in already), and a Reamp box lets you take the output, and turn it into a guitar type signal again.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
OurRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
A DI box converts an unbalanced high impedance guitar signal into a balanced low impedance mic signal. Basically it lets you go into a mixer/interface/whatever as if it was a microphone.

And TS, what you want is not a DI box it's a Reamp box. DI would be for sending it into your interface (if it didn't have one built in already), and a Reamp box lets you take the output, and turn it into a guitar type signal again.

LOL wow yeah your right that's exactly what I ment got tthem mixed.up ****
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts (converting back to stock)
-Jackson DR7, EMGs (selling)
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w (maybe a veteran30swap?)
OurRequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

For a reamp box, check out a DIY one called line2amp. You can order the kit on line for about $50-60, and build it yourself. I'm a complete soldering noob, and even I pulled it off. The instructions were really clear.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
For a reamp box, check out a DIY one called line2amp. You can order the kit on line for about $50-60, and build it yourself. I'm a complete soldering noob, and even I pulled it off. The instructions were really clear.

CT

+1, I had the Radial X-Amp before and my L2A cost me I think $35 (one of the first to come out), and it kills the Radial in every way possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #7
atza

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272

Any guitar audio interface lets you do that. That's what they are for, only they give some more stuff that you may or may not use
atza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #8
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by atza
Any guitar audio interface lets you do that. That's what they are for, only they give some more stuff that you may or may not use

I've yet to see a guitar interface that lets me do that, and it's not what they're for. Audio interfaces are for recording to a computer and are all in ones that include a DI (usually), preamps, and AD/DA converters. They take the signal, and pump it through all that to a digital output (USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt?) which is then recorded by a computer. A DI on the other hand will take your signal, split it into a new mic level signal and a normal guitar signal. These then come out from the XLR (for the mic level signal) and jack (for the guitar signal) sockets on the DI box and are entirely analogue devices, usually used for live purposes (e.g. sending a Bass line to the FOH).
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: