Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Greentea69

Looking for new pickups, do you tone monsters have any suggestions?

I need a little help regarding pickups.

I bought a Charvel So-Cal (USA of course) a few weeks ago and I'm thinking about changing out the neck pickup for something that would be better suited for clean tones and aggressive lead playing. The Dimarzio Evo that came stock doesn't do the trick for me, it's too bright while on clean and for the kind of playing I do lead wise it sounds too flat.

I'm looking for something that has a nice full and round sound while playing clean riffs/ chordy stuff while sounding very punchy and warm with a fair bit of gain. Keeping it metal esque and 80's (imagine 'I Want it All - Queen mixed with Marty Friedmans solo in Lucretia)

Keep in mind I'm trying to stay away from Dimarzio, EMG and Seymour Duncan. Hope this isn't too much to ask for from all you tone chasers out there.
Greentea69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
james4

any particular reason you're staying away from the 'big' brands?
also just out of curiosity, what amp are you using?

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
james4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Jason Jillard
Luthier

I sent ya a pm a while back

jsut so ya know.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Way Cool JR.
The 'L80s Man.

Marty didn't use a neck pup to record the Rust In Peace album. He only used a Seymour Duncan JBJ. For the neck pup him and Mustaine did use, it was a Seymour Duncan Jazz. Brian may more than likely used his Red Special guitar with 3 single coils they were all modified Burns Tri-Sonic's.

I would go with either the Seymour Duncan Jazz or 59 but I would lean towards the Jazz.
Way Cool JR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
bi$anz

I recently got a duncan jazz and couldn't be happier, sounds amazing clean and with heavy gain. I play a lot of different genre's and it can cover it all. It has everything you would want in a neck pickup. I'm thinking of swapping the burstbucker in my les paul for one!
bi$anz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

From the description of the sound you want, a SD Jazz or DM PAF Pro is the way to go. You may not like buying a pickup from a brand that everybody uses, but those two pickups are the epitome of everything you asked.

Otherwise what you're basically looking for is a boutique wind. If you go that route then asking people for models is irrelevant; if you go boutique, you go custom.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Paddynbob

Have you looked at Bare Knuckle?
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
IWasMaiden93
A Utah Man Am I

Seriously, Duncan and DiMarzio are popular for a reason...

But if you can't use mainstream and want to pay more, try stuff like Bare Knuckle over in Britain... They give you part of what the big guys do for more money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
IWasMaiden93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasMaiden93
Seriously, Duncan and DiMarzio are popular for a reason...

But if you can't use mainstream and want to pay more, try stuff like Bare Knuckle over in Britain... They give you part of what the big guys do for more money!
'Tis true. Even as far as UK boutique winders go, Bare Knuckle are the most expensive, slowest and most limited by a long way.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
'Tis true. Even as far as UK boutique winders go, Bare Knuckle are the most expensive, slowest and most limited by a long way.

I wouldn't say so :S but then I live in the UK. But Bare Knuckle are hardly limited... they do everything from vintage p90s to death core metal pickups
Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
MrFlibble

It's a simple fact that virtually every other boutique pickup maker in the UK (or at least England, certainly) is cheaper, fulfills orders quicker and offers more options. In fact Bare Knuckle are the only ''boutique'' UK brand I know of that don't offer a full custom service.

Wizard, The Creamery, Tub, Fatboy, Catswhisker, Gemini, Heavy Air, Juicy, Sidewynder, Armstrong, Eternal, Warman... am I missing any? There was Swineshead, until Tim slandered them.

All of 'em make the same thing for less and/or a better, fully-custom build for the same cost as a plain Bare Knuckle, which might as well be production parts at this point.

Last edited by MrFlibble : 02-18-2013 at 05:43 AM.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Paddynbob

Quote:
It's a simple fact that virtually every other boutique pickup maker in the UK (or at least England, certainly) is cheaper, fulfills orders quicker and offers more options. In fact Bare Knuckle are the only ''boutique'' UK brand I know of that don't offer a full custom service.

Wizard, The Creamery, Tub, Fatboy, Catswhisker, Gemini, Heavy Air, Juicy, Sidewynder, Armstrong, Eternal, Warman... am I missing any? There was Swineshead, until Tim slandered them.

All of 'em make the same thing for less and/or a better, fully-custom build for the same cost as a plain Bare Knuckle, which might as well be production parts at this point.

Im not really sure what you'd class as customer service, but they made me a hand-wound custom specification pickup with no extra charge... I don't know why you consider them so expensive, my warpig p90 was only like, 65
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
MrFlibble

Then you must have jumped on them quite a while ago, because their pickups have been over the 100 mark for a single pickup for quite some time now. They've also stopped taking custom orders. Compare it to every other company that still puts out pickups somewhere <80 and will deal with each order directly and with total customisation, and Bare Knuckle really are not worth touching any more.

Fair enough if you like what you've bought from them before, but it is simply academic at this point that they are not worth considering any more.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Paddynbob

Quote:
Then you must have jumped on them quite a while ago, because their pickups have been over the 100 mark for a single pickup for quite some time now. They've also stopped taking custom orders. Compare it to every other company that still puts out pickups somewhere <80 and will deal with each order directly and with total customisation, and Bare Knuckle really are not worth touching any more.

Fair enough if you like what you've bought from them before, but it is simply academic at this point that they are not worth considering any more.

Three weeks ago
Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
MrFlibble

The very cheapest they list on their site is 77 and it was about a year ago they announced they were no longer taking on customer requests, so
Old 02-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Lindy Fralin may have what your looking for.
Or check out Mad House pickups. I was referred them and i like what i see.

BK pickups look great and sound awesome but they are expensive i agree. I go duncan because thats all ive used in my instruments (minus my Epi but will change) Let us know what you end up with bud!
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
Paddynbob

Quote:
The very cheapest they list on their site is 77 and it was about a year ago they announced they were no longer taking on customer requests, so

Didn't order them direct, ordered them through a shop. And they made mine a ceramic magnet as opposed to the regular alnico 5...
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
MrFlibble

I believe ceramic and A5 swaps are one of Bare Knuckle's standard options for any/most of their pickups. And if you ordered through a shop, then fair enough, though that still speaks to one of my biggest problems with Bare Knuckle which is that you can't communicate with them directly in as much detail and as casually as you can with smaller companies who will go out of their way to talk to you.

Rate This Thread: