Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Ethalopian

Recording 4 mono tracks with 2 inputs and 2 stereo y splitters

I'm wondering if it would be possible to record 2 individual stereo tracks using 2 y-splitter cables into 2 individual inputs, resulting in 4 individual mono tracks recorded. I'm using a Steinberg CS1 to record my tracks, and that individually can record a split stereo track which can then be split in Audacity. If it is possible to do this resulting in 4 tracks, how would I go about doing this? What programs would I use? Any help is much appreciated!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

No, it's a 2 input interface thus it can only make 2 tracks. This is honestly one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board...
Old 02-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

1. Stop using Audacity. It's pretty much entirely worthless. Try Reaper instead.
2. Not possible. Just double track.
Ibanez RGA121
ESP Eclipse II

Last edited by oneblackened : 02-01-2013 at 05:19 PM.
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Ethalopian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
No, it's a 2 input interface thus it can only make 2 tracks. This is honestly one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board...

Seriously? One of the dumbest things you've read on this board? I'm sick of all of you f**kers who think they can put someone down and chastisize them for asking a simple question. What, are you so stuck up and have such a sorry life that you need to fulfill that by making others feel stupid, for asking a question? A simple no would've sufficed.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Grif22
Mmm Tlock Tlock Mm Boutou

You unfortunately can't typically do this as the inputs would be mono. If you desperately wanted this function, you could pre-render a stereo mix, and record with a mixer (If you have, say, an 8 input mixer, then mix everything together there, and run the stereo left and right out of the mixer to the interface.) This does severely limit post-production options, but I know (and know of) a lot of rock players who are all about recording everything live, and with as few takes and overdubs as possible.

Also, as someone else suggested, upgrade from Audacity as soon as you can. Reaper has fully functional and permanent "evaluation" which merely nags you every time you boot up the program to buy it. Even then, the license is only like $60 unless you're a top level studio, so if you've got a little lying around, you may as well just pay for it.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethalopian
Seriously? One of the dumbest things you've read on this board? I'm sick of all of you f**kers who think they can put someone down and chastisize them for asking a simple question. What, are you so stuck up and have such a sorry life that you need to fulfill that by making others feel stupid, for asking a question? A simple no would've sufficed.

Its in the title, I'm the dick around here. Don't like it, move on
Old 02-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Ethalopian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif22
You unfortunately can't typically do this as the inputs would be mono. If you desperately wanted this function, you could pre-render a stereo mix, and record with a mixer (If you have, say, an 8 input mixer, then mix everything together there, and run the stereo left and right out of the mixer to the interface.) This does severely limit post-production options, but I know (and know of) a lot of rock players who are all about recording everything live, and with as few takes and overdubs as possible.

Also, as someone else suggested, upgrade from Audacity as soon as you can. Reaper has fully functional and permanent "evaluation" which merely nags you every time you boot up the program to buy it. Even then, the license is only like $60 unless you're a top level studio, so if you've got a little lying around, you may as well just pay for it.

Okay, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up for me!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
chatterbox272

As said no it won't work because your interface has mono inputs. And the REAPER vs Audacity thing is a big deal too, Audacity sucks compared to REAPER. If you really don't want to buy it or deal with the nag screen then maybe look at Kristal Audio Engine, which is entirely free but has a few limitations (16 tracks, 3 VSTs on the master and 2 per track, etc.).

P.S. How is the CI1 as an interface? I've been looking at one myself, but I don't want to have to deal with buggy drivers or terrible preamps.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #9
Ethalopian

The CI1 isn't too bad, I've never had an issue with the drivers or anything. However, if I use it with GarageBand sometimes I get this 'crackly' sound over top of the recordings which I've heard stems from too much data being recorded by the device that can't be accurately processed or something like that. The only reason I use audacity (and I've used the other programs mentioned, reaper works great but lately I've been using GarageBand just because I find it easier to use) is to record tracks through the CI1 while having GarageBand record from a different device, which is especially handy for recording something like drums (which is also what I was going towards with the original question)
Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #10
chatterbox272

The crackling sounds like it'd be fixed by increasing the buffer size. If you were planning on doing drums with it then I'm guessing you've used mics with it? How are the preamps? do you have any recordings you've done with it I could listen to?
And yes this is a game of 20 questions and I'm totally hijacking your thread
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Ethalopian

Hey, I'm down to play, though I'm not sure how much help I can be with these things as I'm no expert on any of this (which is kinda evident based on the question I originally asked... )

I've used mics with this to record drums and depending on the program I use to record with, personally I like the results. I've used a cheaper microphone from some electronics store and a Shure SM58 with it, but both using a 1/4 jack input (The CI1 will take that and XLR, I just don't own only male to female XLR cables to do that). I don't know much about preamps or any of that stuff but I've looked up that question and apparently the preamp isn't bad on it, something like 60db pre amp gain? There's more info in this link here http://homerecording.com/bbs/genera...ack-usb-314649/ but off the top of my head I can say that making adjustments with the gain on this device does make pretty big overall adjustments towards the sound; it's very noticeable especially with recording instruments line in.

If you want to hear a recording clip for drums using this device, I've included a dry section of the drum track here (one of the songs I've got with my band): http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?i...86ba1eb16f 793

Hope that answered some of your questions, If you've got any more I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Rate This Thread: