Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #41
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
So wait, what is the book actually about?

Read the description on the amazon page.
Scott Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #42
evolucian

lol... scott, you may need to lighten up about pessimistic posters or basically others who choose to believe one never needs a book. Like you mentioned in the other thread regarding session work... those principles work in life too (naysayers, don't take it out of context) and whatever the universe dishes out for them is what they'll get. One can always try to show the good to others but most will refuse to see it... until they one day really really wish they had done it when they were told about it. I'm one of those idiots - never grabbed opportunities. I made them possible but I never stepped up to the plate. Blah blah blah and some more blah...

But yeah, thanks for your posts dude. They are cool to take note of and nice to read
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #43
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
lol... scott, you may need to lighten up about pessimistic posters or basically others who choose to believe one never needs a book. Like you mentioned in the other thread regarding session work... those principles work in life too (naysayers, don't take it out of context) and whatever the universe dishes out for them is what they'll get. One can always try to show the good to others but most will refuse to see it... until they one day really really wish they had done it when they were told about it. I'm one of those idiots - never grabbed opportunities. I made them possible but I never stepped up to the plate. Blah blah blah and some more blah...

But yeah, thanks for your posts dude. They are cool to take note of and nice to read

Thanks man.

I try not to get worked up over the negative responses, but as I said, it baffles me when I make an attempt to shed light on something, to the benefit of others, and it's met with cynicism.

I'd hate to think that somebody, who may have found the book helpful, would be influenced away from it as a result of generalizations like "real geniuses don't need the book".

I think we'd all agree that Thomas Jefferson was a genius who stated "I cannot live without books".

Benjamin Franklin said of preparation: “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”

Whenever I post anything at all, it's to help young players PREPARE for what lies ahead for them as artists.

Why?

I have been teaching for 22 years, playing music for 37 overall (5 on drums, 32 on guitar), and I find great satisfaction in opening young players' minds to their potential.

When someone comes in with the sole purpose of being contrary, difficult and derails the process, it confounds me.

Last edited by Scott Jones : 01-15-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #44
evolucian

(counts on fingers with tongue hanging to the side) shiiit... I've been at it for 20 years now. One day I'll be bald... but today is not that day. But the playing/learning process is a long one. Then when you teach, you have to learn new things like dealing with people and then learn that everyone is stupid, I mean... different. But one gets by and becomes accomodating. When I first rocked up here I was surprised by all the sarcy comments and headbutting naysayers (aye, 'ave yerself a face full o' dandruff). But I'm a sarcastic ass myself so its acceptable. So I basically let them find their way on their own, with a gentle nudge here and there and a missing shoe in an ass somewhere.

In a nutshell, it infuriates me too when someone denies a possibility of gaining extra knowledge ahead of schedule, but thats life and people for you. Live and let live I guess. As for the cynicism... gotta love it.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #45
Hail
kill both bass players

yeah but thomas jefferson was a francophile and **** the french

plus since i saw the new shameless the other night i keep imagining that dude from reba in a jefferson costume getting whipped by a black woman and eating her pussy on livestream

Last edited by Hail : 01-15-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #46
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jones
Read the description on the amazon page.

I did and that's why I asked.
This:
Quote:
[...] a comprehensive, philosophical guide to prepare you for the strange, beautiful, and downright dangerous lifestyle known as a Creative Career [...] help you take control of your destiny, follow your own path, and open your own creative studio anywhere.

[...] teaches you how creative freelancing can bankroll your own artistic dreams.

Doesn't really mean anything.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #47
evolucian

lol hail... as soon as I read that, a Bowie song came to mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bowie
Chev brakes are snarling as you stumble across the road
But the day breaks instead so you hurry home
Don't let the sun blast your shadow
Don't let the milk float ride your mind
You're so natural - religiously unkind

Kind of your theme song for me right now, lol. Rock n roll suicide.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #48
Hail
kill both bass players

you have no idea how flattering that is, evo

Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #49
91RG350

Quote:
.....you post a singular, uninformed and distracting point, which has the potential of clouding the intent of the book and my intent as well.

Uninformed? No.

Distracting? To your singular point of view? Seems so.

Now.... I'll exit this thread by

a) wishing you well
b) apologising for our personal tiff that has, admittedly, railroaded this thread. We both believe completely in our points of view and are prepared to say so- and for that, I salute you
c) giving some feedback on your writing style....its quite advertorial...and, to me, comes across as a little PT Barnum. Toning down the language will help you achieve your goals

And... just in case you are a masterfully programmed adbot...

unsubscribe
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #50
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
Uninformed? No.

Distracting? To your singular point of view? Seems so.

Now.... I'll exit this thread by

a) wishing you well
b) apologising for our personal tiff that has, admittedly, railroaded this thread. We both believe completely in our points of view and are prepared to say so- and for that, I salute you
c) giving some feedback on your writing style....its quite advertorial...and, to me, comes across as a little PT Barnum. Toning down the language will help you achieve your goals

And... just in case you are a masterfully programmed adbot...

unsubscribe

Moral of the story. I should never try to explain myself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding me.

I make no apology for anything. I've done nothing wrong.

Good day
Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #51
Chipie7896

Quote:
Moral of the story. I should never try to explain myself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding me.

I make no apology for anything. I've done nothing wrong.

Good day

Bingo. Scott, your posts are very encouraging and helpful. Thank you.
Chipie7896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #52
Scott Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipie7896
Bingo. Scott, your posts are very encouraging and helpful. Thank you.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #53
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

I bought the book and read through it. I find it worth a read for anyone wanting to do music, art, or film. Personally, I'll be keeping it on my shelves to refer back to.

Carl King provides brief examples of his experiences, lessons and uses "The NeverEnding Story" as a really awesome parable for the creative process. He goes through many aspects of life: health, how to draw out creativity, finances, etc. (Keep in mind they are pretty brief.) I found each section pretty helpful because it's not always common sense. Sometimes we just need reassurance of what we're doing.

I want to paraphrase something he said that struck me: King says that it takes years and years to become really good at guitar. It also takes years and years to do nothing with our life. (So what will it be?)

Carl King does come off a little condescending at times to those with dreams in embryonic stages or those who don't share a creative future. His views on the telephone kinda disturbed me.

Tl;dr: Get the book. Its message is basically "go for it,"you've got nothing to lose, and you're a much better person for it.

Here's an excerpt:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/52953483/...What-PDF-Sample

We're all alright!

Last edited by Mathedes : 01-26-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #54
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathedas
Carl King does come off a little condescending at times to those with dreams in embryonic stages or those who don't share a creative future.

This made that excerpt almost unreadable.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: