Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #2901
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barricade_28
Anyone have the chance to try out the new Vypyr VIP series yet? Or even see it in stores? I'm really interested in the Vypyr VIP 3 (100 watts).

Even though it is solid state?

Anyone have any info about the tube version. Really want an acoustic amp.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #2902
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo

Huh?

This is a Vypyr thread.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #2903
arc anjil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo

Anyone have any info about the tube version. Really want an acoustic amp.

I have a two year old Tube 60. I like it. It needs new tubes now, but still sounds good. Very well constructed, but man! is it heavy and bulky. Plus, with tubes, you gotta be careful hauling it around. Mine weighs in at 57 lbs.

I don't have either of the Sanpera pedals. I bought the amp to help me decide what tube amp I really want to spend the big bucks for.

The T60 has chorus, flanger, and phaser available in both pre-gain stompbox and FX-loop positions (I like the stompbox ones better). Also, a fair tubescreamer and Zack Wylde OD simulator. Some other, less useful boxes like octaver, reverser, ring modulator, rotating speaker, etc. too.

I have not played any of the real amps it emulates, so I can't attest to the accuracy of the modeling. I have found that I like best the 6505 and Recto (MB Dual Rectifier) "clean" channels with a touch of tubescreamer. I put "clean" in quotes, because those amps have more than 2 channels and the T60 only gives you 2 channels and for those amps you get the crunch and lead channels, not the clean one.

Downside is you can only use one stompbox at a time. You can pair it with an FX sound (and more than one with the aforementioned Sanpera pedal), but you can use real stompboxes between the guitar and the amp and set the amp's stompbox setting to Bypass (I'm told).

The Vypyr speaker is actually good for what it does and you can get a Peavey expansion cabinet and stack the amp (there is a jack for it on the back panel).

The T60 comes with 12 preset settings, none of which are any good, IMO. It's easy to change them, they're like setting the buttons on your car radio (once you have a setup you like, just hold the button in until the light goes out and comes back on). There are 3 banks (A,B,C) of four settings (1,2,3,4). Setting A1 is what the T60 "boots" up to, so I set mine to the Twin clean channel with no FX, delay or reverb, just to tune up, etc.

I would strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the amp via the free downloadable manual, just so you know your way around the amp to test at a store - the FX and stompboxes have 2 settings each, usually depth and speed - and you'll want to know how to access and set them (called "entering Setup"). Delay and reverb are only available via Setup.

Long description, eh? But checking out this amp, or any modelling amp, is not just about tweaking the EQ. It's chock full of FX and different amps. You'll want to check them all out.

Last edited by arc anjil : 05-30-2013 at 12:20 AM.
arc anjil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #2904
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ great description

FYI - I was just giving Shadowofraven some crap. He's played the T60. He was asking about a tubed VIP version (Vypyr II). I was making fun of him because most Vypyr users have a solid state version and this is a Vypyr thread, so I thought it was dumb comment. Maybe I read it out of context. Maybe he meant 'why get a 100w SS amp' but even then - this is a Vypyr thread so it came across as troll'ish. Some people like the solid state Vypyrs better. They are less saggy and therefore may be better for some kinds of metal for example.

But I agree on all of your points arc anjil. The T60 does take pedals well and is fairly easy to operate if you just read the manual. I also, like you, think the speaker is fine for this amp. I have my custom settings for Dual Rec, Diezel, and Twin and that's all I really need. I don't use any of the other amp models or effects. For $300 used - it slays.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #2905
arc anjil

NP, 311.

I think the Vypyr is a great, but under-rated amp. Over at MyLesPaul.com most (it seems) prefer the Fender Mustang. That's OK, each to his own, I say.

I think of the T60 and the T120 Vypyrs as unique, though, in that they have a 12AX7 in the pre-amp stage, which, to my mind, practically make it a tube amp with SS effects built in.

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea if Peavey "VIP"'d the two tube amps of the Vypyr line. Posts at the Peavey forum show a number of people do not like the VIP3 and have actually returned theirs for a VIP2. Most stated they do not like the display and prefer the dial. Still, you owe it to yourself to see what other people are saying and then test it out for yourself.
arc anjil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #2906
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc anjil
NP, 311.

I think the Vypyr is a great, but under-rated amp. Over at MyLesPaul.com most (it seems) prefer the Fender Mustang. That's OK, each to his own, I say.

I think of the T60 and the T120 Vypyrs as unique, though, in that they have a 12AX7 in the pre-amp stage, which, to my mind, practically make it a tube amp with SS effects built in.

I'm not sure if it would be a good idea if Peavey "VIP"'d the two tube amps of the Vypyr line. Posts at the Peavey forum show a number of people do not like the VIP3 and have actually returned theirs for a VIP2. Most stated they do not like the display and prefer the dial. Still, you owe it to yourself to see what other people are saying and then test it out for yourself.

I'm guessing mylespaul.com likes the Mustangs better because they play more 'bluesak' over there and the Mustang excels at lower gain tones better than the Vypyr. That's my guess

Technically the 12AX7 is in a phase inverter mode though, so it can be considered part of the power section. The preamp however is all analog which contributes to the great tone. The front end effects (stompboxes) are also analog. Only the time-based effects and the potentiometers are digital.

I don't think I would like the display either. It has too much of a Spider or GDec feel. I won't be switching to the new one. I'd like to hear more on any tonal improvements though.

I will be creating a new Peavey Vypyr Thread II here soon so keep your eye open for that.

I subscribed over at the Peavey Forum not too long ago but have yet to post/lurk.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #2907
thasnazzle

Does anyone know how to fix the noise gate on the Vypyr? I just bought a 75 and the noise gate is way too sensitive for my quiet home playing. Is there a fix for this?
thasnazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #2908
Harry Balzak

picked up a vip2 used and want to know is there any way to use the looper without the sampera pedal, or has someone figure out how to wire up a simple on off foot swith for the thing, dont want to blow 100 beans for the pedal
Harry Balzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #2909
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I can't say I've heard of anyone using anything other than a Sampera.

If there is another solution then I bet you'd find it in here:

http://forums.peavey.com:81/viewforum.php?f=33

Welcome to UG and nice user name
Old 12-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #2910
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I should probably post in here. I never look at this thread.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 Pod HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #2911
Deadpool_25

I recently downsized (again), cutting back to basically bare minimums. I got good offers on both the Tremoverb and the EVH so I'm down to just a single amp again...the Vypyr 60. I did pick up a newer Sanpera II (the black one) to use with the T60.

I looked into the VIP a little but see zero reason to switch. It would be a lateral move at best, arguably a downgrade since I don't play bass or need an acoustic amp.

Bottom line: still loving the T60!
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 PM   #2912
romeozdistress

MY Tube 60 is still working like a champ. with tax time rolling around again, i was thinking of a possible speaker change. anybody have any thoughts or input on this? just an idea right now. thanks. mostly into playing black metal and metalcore these days.
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #2913
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ Hey

Glad to hear everything is still going strong for you. I personally think the speaker they put in the Vypyr 60 is perfect for what it needs to do but I have NO direct experience in swapping speakers in a Vypyr.

That said, this is sort of my Go-To thread if you want read up on someone who has done a lot of swapping:

http://forums.peavey.com:81/viewtop...s+for+the+Vypyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy100
I tried a bunch in my Vypyr Tube 60s just for the heck of it (I've got two to use either as a dual-amp setup or to have one as a spare). Also have a Vypyr Tube 120.

I found the good ol' Chinese-made Celestion G12T-75's from a newer Marshall 1960A Cabinet to be a great replacement. Not because of any huge difference in quality or price (of course), but it tends to sounds a bit warmer and more "workable". Smoother, plays well with different guitars, very little harshness. The second-best replacement I found was an Eminence Delta 12-A. I found generally that the "higher-end" speakers were less suited than the "mid-priced" ones (a very broad statement, I realize . . . but it kind of sums up the general drift).

Keep in mind that the responsiveness and pure sound quality of some of the higher-end speakers were better, but for various reasons, didn't suit the Vypyr. Also, I can't say for sure what the throw of the various speakers sounded like if you're 75 feet back. But for clubs, stage sound and miking, the GT12-75's seem to work well for my needs (which range from hard rock, heavy rock, clean, blues, R&B).

Not to beat it to death, but there was also no universal speaker which sounded great with all my guitars. The G12T-75 sounds very good with my Strats, Firebird, Les Paul, SG Standard and PRS Custom 24. Not quite as good with the Explorer or early Peavey Wolfgang. The trend seemed to be that the more sustain of the guitar, the less-suited the G12T-75's were (with the exception of the PRS).

I also tried:

Eminence Swamp Thang (too fizzy, but very good for the low end)
Eminence Tonker (not too bad, but a tad too boxy in the mids)
Eminence Wizard (way too much high end)
Celestion G12H 30 70th Anniversary (not too bad, a little blah and lacking in "cut")
EVM 12L (not bad, but just not friendly enough)
Older UK-made G12T-75 from a JCM 800 cab (almost, but a tad "square" sounding)

I stopped experimenting there. I still might throw an Eminence Private Jack or a Greenback in one just to see, but I strongly suspect that they'll get the same results as the G12H 30 or Wizard. Not neutral enough.

Might as well cover the extension cab issue as well. I found the following to work well enough to use at any gig:

1x12 smaller Mesa ported cab with a G12T-75 (the best of the lot)
2x12 cab with two Eminence Delta 12-A's (excellent as well)
1x12 cab with the stock speaker from the Vypyr Tube 60 (pretty good obviously, but not quite up to the G12T-75 or Delta 12-A's)
2x12 cab with two older JBL E-120's (weighs a freaking ton, but for some reason I'm unable to fathom, they actually sound very good. A little light on the low end, but not harsh at all).
2x12 cab with two 8 Ohm stock speakers from my Yypyr Tube 120 wired in series for 16 Ohms (actually, not as good as the 1x12 G12T-75 or the 2x12 Delta 12-A's, but added nicely to the G12T-75 for better coverage)

The extension cabs that didn't work were:

2x12's with all combination of Eminence Swamp Thangs, Tonkers and Wizards.
1x12's with any of the above
1x12 with Celestion GTH 30
1x12 with EVM 12L

If I had to go with one combination for the Vypyr Tube 60, it would be a G12T-75 swap out for the main speaker with a 2x12 extension with Eminence Delta 12-A's.

All just MVVHO . . .

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 02-04-2014 at 10:54 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #2914
romeozdistress

thanks bro.
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #2915
surjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
I can't say I've heard of anyone using anything other than a Sampera.

If there is another solution then I bet you'd find it in here:

http://forums.peavey.com:81/viewforum.php?f=33

Welcome to UG and nice user name

I use a BOSS GT-10 to control swithing banks on the Vypyr75. The GT-10 works well for switching those banks while simultanisouly switching channels on my 6505+. I use the two amps in combination. Gives me a pretty diverse set of sounds I can get while PLENTY of power to stay up wtih the rest of the band. I mean, either amp would play well with a band but i like the two together. Anyways, just wanted to point out that it just takes midi-signals to switch banks. Never dove into controling individual effects or anything. Hope that makes sense..

Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ibanez TS9
MXR Noise Clamp
MXR 6 Band EQ
Boss GT-10

My Metal Collabs Page
surjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #2916
surjer

Here is another recording I just did with the Vypyr. This is of one of our youth bands at church. (drop-C, 6505 red channel)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkcst9nbp...trepidus_A4.mp3

Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ibanez TS9
MXR Noise Clamp
MXR 6 Band EQ
Boss GT-10

My Metal Collabs Page
surjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:47 AM   #2917
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y