Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
paket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Egnator Rebel 30 through a Vox

Hello

I recently came across an incredible deal on an Egnator Rebel 30 head so I scooped it up. I currently don't have a cabinet to go with it. I also have a Vox Valvetronix 80+. I connected the XLR Line Out of the Egnator to the Aux In of the Vox, expecting it to work, but there was no sound from the Vox.

According to the Egnator manual, the Line Out is always active when the standby switch is in Standby or Silent Record mode. Any ideas on why this didn't work?
paket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast
 
fly135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orlando
Well... no it doesn't say it works in standby. It says that an internal load resistor replaces the speaker when in silent record mode. If you switch it to Play with no speaker connected you may break your amp.
__________________
Tasty Licks - A collection of my music
fly135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
paket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
Well... no it doesn't say it works in standby. It says that an internal load resistor replaces the speaker when in silent record mode. If you switch it to Play with no speaker connected you may break your amp.



Well, I went on this (from the manual):

Quote:
9) RECORD LINE OUT:This is a balanced cabinet simulating output designed for silent direct recording or as an alternate to placing a microphone in front of the speaker for live sound or recording. The frequency response curve of this output very closely mimics the sound of a mic’d speaker cabinet. The RECORD LINE OUT is
always on when the STANDBY switch is in the PLAY or SILENT RECORD
mode. It is OFF in the standby (middle) position. With the STANDBY switch in
the SILENT RECORD setting (down), an internal load is active along with the
RECORD LINE OUT to allow the all tube power amp to be safely operated.
CAUTION:In the PLAY mode, you MUST always have a speaker
connected to the MAIN speaker output jack.


Unless I'm interpreting this incorrectly, that leads me to believe that you can operate the amp in Silent Record Mode without a speaker attached.
paket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Just buy a cab and you won't have problems. It would seem to me as a safer option.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just rememeber that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
barden1069
UG's ONLY Guitarist
 
barden1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: michigan
You should be fine with it in Standby and Silent Record without a cab, but it makes me very nervous so I always leave mine plugged into a cab. Why don't you just plug directly into the speaker in your Vox combo?
__________________
Le Gear
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Ibanez AM93
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange AD30
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H
'72 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb

And pedals!


"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
barden1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast
 
fly135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orlando
Quote:
Originally Posted by paket
Unless I'm interpreting this incorrectly, that leads me to believe that you can operate the amp in Silent Record Mode without a speaker attached.
Without a speaker attached is an assumption. It does say that it replaces the speaker with a load resister and therefor it may be a good assumption. But if you ever flip the switch to play you could screw up your amp.

Also my previous post was refuting your claim that the manual says the Line Out is active when in Standby. Not so. When an amp is in Standby the High Voltage to the tubes is removed. Your preamp tubes would not work in standby.

Quote:
According to the Egnator manual, the Line Out is always active when the standby switch is in Standby or Silent Record mode.
__________________
Tasty Licks - A collection of my music
fly135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by barden1069
You should be fine with it in Standby and Silent Record without a cab, but it makes me very nervous so I always leave mine plugged into a cab. Why don't you just plug directly into the speaker in your Vox combo?

Yeah. If you can disconnect the speaker from your Vox, you could just use it as a cabinet. Remember to match the ohms.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just rememeber that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.