Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
GuitarzMyThing

Talking Got a little dilemma... Guitar neck or monitors?

Hey!

I got an interface for Christmas! (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) I have been doing some work for friends lately and been getting paid to set up/wire a few guitars and what not here and there. I managed to save my money so I went out and bought myself a few things like a keyboard, ordered an SM57 and all this stuff. Now, Iím caught in a little dilemma. Should I save up my money for a guitar neck for the flying V Iím building or get monitors for my room. Iíd be buying the KRK Rokit 5ís from a friend that would be selling them to me for a cheaper price then what the store sells them for and cheaper than the neck Iím buying. I listened to them at the store and I love the sound of them! Someone I talk to daily at the music store says I should get my guitar neck then when I have everything I can always finance the monitors from the place later. Plus I get a 1 year warranty. My personal argument in my head is I wouldnít be getting any other money after I finish this last job Iím doing in a few days as I donít have a job currently right now. I am thinking it would be pointless to buy a neck and then not being able to use it since I still have to buy pickups, hardware, a Floyd rose and all the other stuff for the guitar, but if I buy the monitors I can use them right away! Although I donít know for sure that I will be going to this recording college that Iíd be using the monitors at home mainly for. I will be taking a year off after high school to work, get everything I want (aka Gibson Les Paul and a Marshall JCM800) and also try and figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. Iím 80-90% sure Iíll go to this college one way or the other. What do you think I should do? Please say anything that would help me make this easier of a decision. Eventually, Iíll get both items but for now I donít know what would be the better deal.

Thanks!

Have a Happy New Year!
GuitarzMyThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
the chemist
Resident Session Player

Go for the monitors. AS you said, you still need pups, hardware, etc... so monitors.
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
DrakeTheOne
To Live Another Day

Yeah, the monitors are the better way to go since you've still got a ways to go on the flying V. Nice choice on a build too, I love the flying V body style.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?
DrakeTheOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
dankhus
Chief Procrastinator

Monitors, definitely. The person from the music store is obviously working to their better interest, not yours, bro
Old 12-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
LeviMan_2001

Yep I'd say monitors.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
logicbdj

I have the KRK Rokit 8s... you can get some pretty darn good volume of out them... so loud that it's difficult to monitor the sound... and so the 5s should be pretty decent. No idea how they compare to other monitors (I guess you can't compare them to something costing thousands).
logicbdj is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: