Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
Dan477

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoball95
I've experimented with this before. On my friend's squier mini, the high E got to a B before snapping, so did the B string. The G got to an A, the D got an octave higher, the A, an octave higher, and the low E, a G. On my 25.5 inch scale acoustic, the low E can usually get an octave and a step up, the A can get to a D, D gets to G, G gets to B, B gets to G or G#, and the high E will sometimes get to an A. On my electric, my plain steel .024 string made it an octave and a half step. By the time it was about to break, I could barely move the tune peg anymore. This was about 2 years ago. I used to do this experiment a lot...

That's pretty high. On my 25.5 full size acoustic guitar I got my .053 low e up to C# before snapping. I got my .042 A string up to E Flat before snapping. I got my .032 D string up to G. I got a .024 Wound G up to B Flat and it snapped. I got my b and hi e up to G#. I did get a .010 string between G# and A. I don't think you can tune a regular acoustic string a whole octave. You might get away with it on electric guitar. I got the A and Low E up to the 11 fret on electric. That's a hair short of an octave. What guages where you experimenting on your acoustic?

Last edited by Dan477 : 05-01-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Dan477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
rotoball95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan477
That's pretty high. On my 25.5 full size acoustic guitar I got my .053 low e up to C# before snapping. I got my .042 A string up to E Flat before snapping. I got my .032 D string up to G. I got a .024 Wound G up to B Flat and it snapped. I got my b and hi e up to G#. I did get a .010 string between G# and A. I don't think you can tune a regular acoustic string a whole octave. You might get away with it on electric guitar. I got the A and Low E up to the 11 fret on electric. That's a hair short of an octave. What guages where you experimenting on your acoustic?

I used 12s as well. They go higher if the strings are newer. Try it with newer strings, and you may be able to get the low E an octave. I may do this the next time I get strings to see what happens...
rotoball95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
revolution24

An idiot I know spends his whole life doing this and destroying strings. Constantly tuning up to "capo two".
revolution24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
Dan477

Check this video out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KamV...s3qid95T2nGJVlA

This guy is testing his low E,A,and D strings. I'm surprised he got to D on his low e. I broke a d addario and elixir low e same guage .053 around C,C#.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #25
Dan477

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoball95
I've experimented with this before. On my friend's squier mini, the high E got to a B before snapping, so did the B string. The G got to an A, the D got an octave higher, the A, an octave higher, and the low E, a G. On my 25.5 inch scale acoustic, the low E can usually get an octave and a step up, the A can get to a D, D gets to G, G gets to B, B gets to G or G#, and the high E will sometimes get to an A. On my electric, my plain steel .024 string made it an octave and a half step. By the time it was about to break, I could barely move the tune peg anymore. This was about 2 years ago. I used to do this experiment a lot...

I got a 42 elixir nanoweb 80/20 A up to an E on my fender acoustic. Think I can get my 32 up to A on my 25 guitar since I can get the low e and a up to the fifth fret without any damage. without breaking? I did get an elixir 32 d string up to g on my yamaha acoustic.

Last edited by Dan477 : 07-30-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Rate This Thread: