User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
small luthiers can find sources of legal to use brazilian rosewood, madagascar ebony, etc.

but it's not impossible to get at a decent enough price.

Yes, Madiera has some for sale - legally imported old-growth Brazilian Rosewood salvaged from scraps - for about US$90.00 per fretboard; a discount if you buy in bulk. But remember: the markup from luthier/manufacturer to customer sale price is always at least 150%, so one of those boards on your guitar will add at least $225.00 to the price of the instrument. Still, it is cheaper than real, jet-black Gabon Ebony (when you can find it).

Quote:
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
I was on the phone asking about some wood once and was told it was "Salsa Mellican."

I think that's in Indonesia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Yes, Madiera has some for sale - legally imported old-growth Brazilian Rosewood salvaged from scraps - for about US$90.00 per fretboard; a discount if you buy in bulk. But remember: the markup from luthier/manufacturer to customer sale price is always at least 150%, so one of those boards on your guitar will add at least $225.00 to the price of the instrument. Still, it is cheaper than real, jet-black Gabon Ebony (when you can find it).

wow they have some nice looking ones for sure.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #23
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
wow they have some nice looking ones for sure.

Yeah, they find these old logs that were harvested decades ago and left in the mills as scrap; or they go out into the forest and dig up stumps from trees that were cut down way back when. It is a great way to find some fantastic old woods; the likes of which you just cannot get from new trees.

There is a guy up in Canada (or near the Canadian border) who went through some massive row in order to get permission to salvage old trees from the bottoms of frozen rivers that were cut down in the 1800s. Most of them are highly figured maple, and the guy is now a multi-millionaire from fishing out these old, fantastic logs. Apparently, he sells a lot of wood to top luthiers.

Quote:
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
I was on the phone asking about some wood once

I was on the phone once too asking about wood, and honestly the language some of those lumberyards use is just uncalled for.

At least I assume it was a lumbermill.

Still not sure why they needed to know what I was wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #25
gregs1020
Hi mom!

^ dave's a lumberjack and he's okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Yeah, they find these old logs that were harvested decades ago and left in the mills as scrap; or they go out into the forest and dig up stumps from trees that were cut down way back when. It is a great way to find some fantastic old woods; the likes of which you just cannot get from new trees.

There is a guy up in Canada (or near the Canadian border) who went through some massive row in order to get permission to salvage old trees from the bottoms of frozen rivers that were cut down in the 1800s. Most of them are highly figured maple, and the guy is now a multi-millionaire from fishing out these old, fantastic logs. Apparently, he sells a lot of wood to top luthiers.

i've head a few stories along the lines of reclaiming sunken logs.

in the 80s the fujigen plant paid to have a lot of maple, spruce and other logs reclaimed from the great lakes and shipped to japan. that wood started showing up in guitars in the 2000's.

one brand in particular that was started by a chain of stores in japan called "history" commissioned builds using the maple reclaimed as neck woods.

it was only used on the highest models of the brand under the name of "timeless timber".

you can see the tree logo on the back of the headstock, it reads timeless timber.
http://public.dm2301.livefilestore....?rdrts=54398366

i've been quietly lurking the MIJ forums looking to see if anyone has scored one and what it was like, but they aren't popular guitars outside of parts of japan.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
^ dave's a lumberjack and he's okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #27
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic

On the strats I played the maple necks definitely sounded snappier/brighter in the top end.

And I played about 12 in a row at a shop all American, all standard.

Do I know 100% certain that this has to do with the neck? No I don't.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[FONT=Palatino Linotype
[COLOR=DarkRed]Who's Andy Timmons??
[/SIZE][/B]
xxdarrenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #28
RyanStorm13

I have Ebony, and I love it on my LP.
RyanStorm13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: