Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
ConcertShooter
Banned

Question Need Info on Tube Works Provalve 60 Please.

I've found a Tube Works Provalve 60 head that appears to be in good condition. Seller tells me everything works but I can't find much info on the piece. From the little information I've found online this is an old head. 1980s old maybe.

I've been looking to achieve a sound similar to that of Duane Allman and Dickey Betts as found on the recording of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed during their solos at 11:00 minutes onward on the Fillmore East album. It's a clean tube sound not terribly over driven.

I've seen a Tube Zipper for sale locally for $110, have considered an Ibanez TS808 reissue, and now I see this Tube Works head for not much more than the cost of a used distortion pedal.

Any comments about the Tube Works head in the above image would be greatly appreciated. Any comments or information on how I can achieve the sound found in the Allman Brothers Band recording cited above without spending hundreds or thousands on equipment would also be highly valued. I have the requisite 1999 Les Paul Classic 1960 reissue so that piece of the equation is accounted for at this time.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ConcertShooter : 11-16-2012 at 04:22 PM.
ConcertShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
ConcertShooter
Banned

Bump. Anyone?

Ringo Starr

Last edited by ConcertShooter : 11-20-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcertShooter
I've found a Tube Works Provalve 60 head that appears to be in good condition. Seller tells me everything works but I can't find much info on the piece. From the little information I've found online this is an old head. 1980s old maybe.

the info i found is that this is an old BK Butler design distributed by genz benz. i think they go back as far as '79 so guessing it is ~80's is about right.

it's claim to fame is that it is a tube amp with a 'tube driver' pedal built in. the tube driver is one of BK Butler's claims to fame, it's like an OD pedal.

i was gonna link the manual, but it is one of those long links that messes up. just google Tube Works Provalve 60 and a link to the .pdf manual pops up

Quote:
I've been looking to achieve a sound similar to that of Duane Allman and Dickey Betts as found on the recording of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed during their solos at 11:00 minutes onward on the Fillmore East album. It's a clean tube sound not terribly over driven.

I've seen a Tube Zipper for sale locally for $110, have considered an Ibanez TS808 reissue, and now I see this Tube Works head for not much more than the cost of a used distortion pedal.

that is kinda strange. the whole point of that amp is that it has a tube driver built in. Look up Tube Driver on youtube, there is quite a few demos of the pedal. your amp should be able to achieve that much gain, and that should be enough for Allman Brothers

in other words, there is already an OD pedal built into the amp, you shouldn't need to buy another.

Quote:
Any comments or information on how I can achieve the sound found in the Allman Brothers Band recording cited above without spending hundreds or thousands on equipment would also be highly valued. I have the requisite 1999 Les Paul Classic 1960 reissue so that piece of the equation is accounted for at this time.

this is kinda more of a 'settings' question and they are actually banned on this forum. the reason being is that no one is going to have the exact same equipment as you, and even if they do they will sound slightly different anyway (environment and tolerance of parts). and beyond that, what works for one person might not work for you... so 'settings' questions are kinda pointless.

besides, good luck trying to sound like duane allman or derrick trucks even if you're playing outta their rig. and if you do figure out how to sound like them, let kyle know how you did it.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 11-20-2012 at 10:20 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

^+311

I came in here with curiosity, and, like always, have learned something new from Gumbi.

I swear I should be paying you tuition by now...
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
^+311

I came in here with curiosity, and, like always, have learned something new from Gumbi.

I swear I should be paying you tuition by now...

dude seriously, just stick around this forum and answer questions. people come up with things i could never think of. then you find the answers and BAM it seems you're like a halfwit guru.

the answers from this particular thread came from the fact that i have run across BK butler gear before (mainly the tube driver), and i found the manual for the amp.

to tell the truth, i learned as much from the TS on this thread. i never knew he embedded the tube driver into an amp before, and i also didn't know genz benz distributed his designed. the manual told me all that.

-ae
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Honestly, I would venture to say that 97% of what I know about guitar and amps has been a direct result of this forum, and the other 3% is most likely indirectly because of this forum.

Don't tell me that! You're ruining the magic!
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
ConcertShooter
Banned

Instead of buying a distortion pedal it appears that I can purchase this tube head which has a distortion pedal built in (foot switch seen in photo above) for what I'd pay for a foot pedal alone.

Really that was the question I was getting at: If I purchased this tube head would it be a better decision and purchase than buying just a distortion pedal only? I wouldn't buy both the head above and a pedal. I was hoping that I could avoid buying a pedal and come out with a tube amp to boot.

I think he said he'd take $175 for it which is equal to or less than many pedals by themselves.

Thanks to all for your time in posting and the valuable information in your posts.

Last edited by ConcertShooter : 11-21-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Instead of buying a distortion pedal it appears that I can purchase this tube head which has a distortion pedal built in (foot switch seen in photo above) for what I'd pay for a foot pedal alone.

Really that was the question I was getting at: If I purchased this tube head would it be a better decision and purchase than buying just a distortion pedal only? I wouldn't buy both the head above and a pedal. I was hoping that I could avoid buying a pedal and come out with a tube amp to boot.

I think he said he'd take $175 for it which is equal to or less than many pedals by themselves.

Thanks to all for your time in posting and the valuable information in your posts.

i misread, i thought you already had this amp and were looking for info.

it would be worth it if you don't mind selling it again. the pedal would be easier to sell by itself cuz it portable and known, the amp would take longer time to get rid of.

so, yeah. if you want a tube head and the tube driver then this would be a great option.

i'd try before you buy if possible, or at least make sure he has a return policy. an amp like this for $175 seems like it might have something wrong.

-ae

Rate This Thread: