Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
scanloni

Melvin Taylor...I'm Blown Away.

Having played guitar for about 25 years with the last 15 or so heavily interested in blues, and the last 5 or so jazzy blues, it astonishes me that I'm just now hearing Melvin Taylor for the first time. Like the title says, I'm blown away. I've been listening to "Plays the Blues for You" non-stop for a couple days now. Melvin's tone, blend of classic blues and jazzy phrasing, along with his soulful voice, Lucky Peterson on keys, and an incredible rhythm section conspire to create what I believe may be the greatest blues album of all time. High praise for sure, but this album entertains and inspires me to play guitar more than anything has in a long long time.

His playing isn't without an occasional bout of overenthusiastic sloppiness, but it's that same enthusiasm that elicits some of the tastiest licks and unexpected twists and turns that make his playing stand out in a litter of dime-a-dozen blues cats. It's also a pleasure listening to an album that's not overly produced. His cool vocals match the vibe of his playing perfectly, Peterson's incredible keys always seem to flourish at precisely the right time, and Ray Allison/Titus Williams on drums/bass provide the perfect pocket for these guys to jam. This band is a match made in blues heaven.

Incredibly, the full album can be heard at the link below, on youtube. The first track is an instrumental warm up that more than hints at the hip trip you're about to take into Melvin's world of blues, jazz, and all that is cool. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Melvin Taylor Plays the Blues for You

Last edited by scanloni : 07-19-2014 at 08:43 AM.
scanloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
silversurfer91

Never heard of Melvin Taylor before....just took a listen. Really great stuff!! Thanks for the tip!
silversurfer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer91
Never heard of Melvin Taylor before....just took a listen. Really great stuff!! Thanks for the tip!

Same here

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
JohnProphet

weird how he went like 11 years after this album before making another

it is pretty strong stuff, here is another. Edit---> this is from 2002

Last edited by JohnProphet : 08-31-2014 at 01:47 PM.
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: