Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
ChucklesMginty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ever found a band on sites like gumtree or joinmyband?

I'm a bass player looking to join an originals band so in my search I decided to turn to the internet.

Gumtree and Joinmyband are high up on the Google searches, but honestly nothing on there looks worthwhile.

It's mostly singers looking for backing bands, cover bands, or "rock" bands (a rock band could mean so many different things..) who think they'll be famous. And there's no way of knowing if any of them can play because no one posts any music.

Surely there's a better way to find a band online than this right? Bass players are always in demand!

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 01-05-2013 at 02:03 PM.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
JimmyCraig
Dazed and Confounded

We found a singer on musolist an he's awesome, not the kind of person who just wants to be famous. I think you're going to need to do some deeper searching on sites like gumtree but I'm sure their are a few good bands there
JimmyCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
Andalus
Bànned

My mate's band found a singer on there by posting an ad.

As a bassist you're going to be in high demand. A lot of bands who are looking don't put ads up, rather, they just scan the available musicians until they find somebody suitable.

If you put an ad up saying you're available, you're likely to find a few people who are interested.
Andalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Like any place there's a mixed bag of options. I have seen both the best and worst musicians as a result of replies to online ads. Just jump in and give it a try, if you don't like the band don't join.

Also I wouldn't be adverse to playing in cover bands.They generally gig more and get paid more, great for building your musical skills too.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
ChucklesMginty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alright cheers, I'll post up an ad sometime.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
WeZ-84

I found most of my band members on JoinMyBand - our drummer and bassist were both found on there. We're still looking for a singer however - there does seem to be a shortage of good singers on there.

I've often had replies from people on there who haven't put up their own ad so if you aren't seeing any ads on there that appeal to you, I'd recommend putting your own ad up with details on what you'd like to do and see who replies.
WeZ-84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Phil Starr

We found a drummer through JoinMyBand and I we had a couple of good leads there too. It tends to be a site with a wide range of musicians on there from bedroom dreamers, and we all started that way, through to semi-pro musicians. The response you get will very much depend upon the ads you place.

If you are interested in joining a gigging band, probably doing covers then try Lemonrock which is a site mainly for pub bands, mainly semi-pro.

Remember you need patience to meet people over the web, just like internet dating you are going to have to kiss a lot of frogs before you meet your prince.

Don't forget you need to hang out where the musicians hang out, local gigs, open mic's guitar shops etc. it's amazing how you meet people and where it can lead.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
mrkinney

We found our singer on bandmix.com
mrkinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
WeZ-84

Bandmix is ok but they want you to pay a membership to be able to contact people.

Although I worked around that by putting an email address in my profile!
WeZ-84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
Myshadow46_2
Join the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeZ-84
Bandmix is ok but they want you to pay a membership to be able to contact people.

Although I worked around that by putting an email address in my profile!

I'll second that.

I found my current band on Join My Band. It's like anything really, you've just gotta sift through the crap to find what you need.
Myshadow46_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: