Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
gopv1c3

Disformed Pinky Finger?

Hey. I'm new here. So I've been playing for a while, and I've always had some trouble with my pinky finger. I always thought it would go away with practice, but I just looked at my finger now and I realized it's really messed up compared to my pink on my right hand. I broke it a while ago (don't know if that has anything to do with it), and looking at it now, when I hold my fingers slights curled towards myself, it's curved left at around a 45 degree angle with my other fingers straight... When I play, my pinky is angled on the frets, and when I apply pressure it pretty much bends sideways so the side of my pinky is almost touching the string... I'm guessing that's not normal? Is there anything I can do about this? ... I have no such problem with my right hand.
gopv1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Sorry to hear about the goofy pinky - stuff happens. At least you're not Django, so consider yourself lucky. You're just going to have to work on it and overcome the obstacle. I think you can do it.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Silveroon009
The Headbanging Chikorita

Dude, Tony Iommi.
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Silveroon009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Showiddlydiddly
Djangified

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Sorry to hear about the goofy pinky - stuff happens. At least you're not Django, so consider yourself lucky. You're just going to have to work on it and overcome the obstacle. I think you can do it.

I don't know, ol' Djangles did pretty damn well. I'd go so far as to say that I'd call myself lucky were I him.
Showiddlydiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
GibsonMan321
Semi-Lurker

Mine is like a less drastic version of yours. You just gotta work with it, sometimes that means not using your pinky when it might be efficient otherwise to use it. There are some really great players that don't use their pinky that often, Andy James, Guthrie Govan, Michael Keene... Don't let it bug you.
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
GibsonMan321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonMan321
Mine is like a less drastic version of yours. You just gotta work with it, sometimes that means not using your pinky when it might be efficient otherwise to use it. There are some really great players that don't use their pinky that often, Andy James, Guthrie Govan, Michael Keene... Don't let it bug you.

The only recognizable name for me, I assure you, he uses it quite often. As often as one can utilize it.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
zero27

Nobody's fingers are completely straight. You'll be fine.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #8
Hrvat
Catholic

Could you post a pic? I just looked at mine and realised I might have the same problem. But I can absolutely shred and I use my pinky more than I use my ring finger. It's also stronger.

So there should be no problems.

No pedals or any of that stuff, just a raw Marshall tone ran by my fingers!
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #9
TripleN666
DON'T JUDGE ME

Shit happens, dont worry about it.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
gopv1c3

Quote:
Could you post a pic? I just looked at mine and realised I might have the same problem. But I can absolutely shred and I use my pinky more than I use my ring finger. It's also stronger. So there should be no problems.

Yep, here's a pic comparing my right and left hand.

This is AS STRAIGHT as I can get it. This is applying no pressure, so as you can imagine, it bends even more when I'm playing. So is that particularly abnormal? Also am I going to hurt it playing like that? Because that doesn't look good for my pinky at all. Haha I don't want to **** it up anymore.

Last edited by gopv1c3 : 04-27-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showiddlydiddly
I don't know, ol' Djangles did pretty damn well. I'd go so far as to say that I'd call myself lucky were I him.

That was kind of the whole point. Django did a lot with a little. He didn't let a handicap get in the way of his playing. In other words, don't let a slightly bent finger get in the way of your playing.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
Alx_27

I have a tiny pinky but I don't let it get in the way of my playing. Just keep practicing and don't worry about it.
Alx_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
gopv1c3

Okay thanks. I'll keep playing and hopefully it won't get in the way.. but it's a little more than slightly bent.. sometimes it's parallel with the fretboard xD
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Latin Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopv1c3
Hey. I'm new here. So I've been playing for a while, and I've always had some trouble with my pinky finger. I always thought it would go away with practice, but I just looked at my finger now and I realized it's really messed up compared to my pink on my right hand. I broke it a while ago (don't know if that has anything to do with it), and looking at it now, when I hold my fingers slights curled towards myself, it's curved left at around a 45 degree angle with my other fingers straight... When I play, my pinky is angled on the frets, and when I apply pressure it pretty much bends sideways so the side of my pinky is almost touching the string... I'm guessing that's not normal? Is there anything I can do about this? ... I have no such problem with my right hand.

Hello There, I also have a deformed left pinky, and pretty much thought I could never play, but one of my guitar instructors advise me to keep playing, with practice you may never have to use it, or keep limits on it, it's worked for me, good luck.
Latin Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Goncalo Crespo

It's completely normal that the pinky is placed partially on the side when playing, normal or broken fingers.

I have the exact same problem as you, I fractured my pinky a while back and it never really healed properly. I worked a lot to overcome this problem and now it's fully functional.

Keep at it and don't accept a no as an aswer to your problem. You'll be able to play as you want.
Goncalo Crespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
gopv1c3

Quote:
It's completely normal that the pinky is placed partially on the side when playing, normal or broken fingers. I have the exact same problem as you, I fractured my pinky a while back and it never really healed properly. I worked a lot to overcome this problem and now it's fully functional. Keep at it and don't accept a no as an aswer to your problem. You'll be able to play as you want.

Yeah I know, but I pretty much have to use the side of my pinky to play. It really messes me up. I want to beat it back to straight. But I'll keep working at it and hopefully get it.

Quote:
with practice you may never have to use it, or keep limits on it, it's worked for me, good luck.
If you're saying I should try not to use my pinky, the only thing I could put limits on would be the songs I play.. there's no way I could not use my pinky. I'll just try to work around it I guess.. maybe hit it with a mallet.. I almost wish I had started playing with my other hand instead
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #17
Goncalo Crespo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopv1c3
If you're saying I should try not to use my pinky, the only thing I could put limits on would be the songs I play.. there's no way I could not use my pinky. I'll just try to work around it I guess.. maybe hit it with a mallet.. I almost wish I had started playing with my other hand instead

I know exactly what you mean, I went through that phase myxelf and could almost envision hiting myself with a hammer. (ouch) That will pass, fortunately I found a good phyisical therapist that did wonders for me and breathed my pinky back to life.

I also thought about switching hands, but where there's a will, there's a way. I0m getting better day by day.
Goncalo Crespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Vypor
FoxHound Elite

Hey, I know this is kind of late but I think you have a number of approaches you can try to solve this problem of yours.

As said before, there are many really sweet guitarists that very rarely even use their pinky, so it definitely can be done. Check out Andy James (who is a metal instructional guitar player) and watch the three fingers on his left hand fly.

The other approach would be to just use your pinky. Even if its sort of disfigured, I believe that with practice it can still be 100% functional - its all about your mind set. I would suggest looking at techniques and exercises that promote pink dexterity and independence. A particular technique that helped me specifically is Dave Mustaines "Spider Chord" approach, which basically encourages you to use your middle finger and pinky finger to play power chords. once your able to hold the power chord shape with your middle and pinky fingers, you can start to do hammer ons and pull offs with the chord shape. I'm attaching a video that you can use for reference, and remember practicing with a metronome is the best way to keep track of your progress. Good luck!

Rate This Thread: