Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
SeveredAngel

Starting over?

Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured this would be the best place to start. I received my first guitar when I was 10 (I'm 18 now). It was an acoustic guitar, I instantly fell in love with guitar but there was always something I felt lacking. During the start of my teen years I discovered I really liked Metal/similar genres of music. I had always played my acoustic and took classes in high school. However I was never consistent with my practice because I was being taught classical/folk styles of music, which never really appealed to me. Anyway, I've decided that I really want to dedicate myself to really learning to play guitar. However, seeing as I am a huge fan of Metal and such, which approach should I take? Should I completely forget about my acoustic and invest in an electric to learn with or should I completely start over on acoustic with a different mind set. I have a basic understanding of chords although I can't read notes however I can learn by ear very easily. Any help would be appreciated.
SeveredAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
steven seagull
not really a seagull

If acoustic stuff doesn't really interest you much at this point and electric music is what excites you about the instrument get an electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
If acoustic stuff doesn't really interest you much at this point and electric music is what excites you about the instrument get an electric.

+1 This.

At the end of your career as a guitar player what really matters? How much fun you had playing the instrument. Take what it is that excites you and build on that. This is how you'll get the best results.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
SeveredAngel

Thanks for the advice guys, play acoustic is nice and all I've just always loved Metal and really wanted to learn to shred. Do you guys have any recommendations for a starting electric?
SeveredAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredAngel
Thanks for the advice guys, play acoustic is nice and all I've just always loved Metal and really wanted to learn to shred. Do you guys have any recommendations for a starting electric?

I'm the opposite of you. Started off in metal, now I'm devoted to acoustic. I have come back to electric though, just not into metal anymore.

For a starting guitar, you will need to try out as many different guitars as possible in person. Go to the closest shop and see which feels best to you. If it doesn't feel right, it won't matter how it sounds.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
iSouLeZz

for some reason.. i find practicing on a classical guitar makes my hand more relaxed and clean. when i go over to electric it feels a lot smoother
iSouLeZz is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: