Password
Search:

Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
would it just be the 18th-24th fret? think really hard about this now

i think enough as it is, but i assume a 6 fret would be all that anyone really needs, but who want's to be seen with a neck that short?
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't see why. The fingerboard extension is not under load past the point of the neck block as the neck block is where the load is taken.

True, but the fretboard is glued to the neck, so whatever happens to the neck happens to the fretboard. For instance, if the neck twists, the fretboard twists with it. The entire neck is under tension from the truss rod and the strings. Then there's the fact that when you fret a note on an "extension," you are pressing down on a thin, completely unsupported piece of wood that has already been stressed by having fret slots cut into it and frets pounded into it. Fretting a single note might not be a big deal - though a lot of guitarists tend to press down harder the farther up the neck they get - but when it comes time to use three or four fingers to execute a huge bend, that's usually when those things give way. And a bass has much heavier strings and much bigger frets, and it takes more pressure to fret a bass string than it does to fret a guitar string.

Fretboard extensions are a gimmick designed to allow someone with a Telecaster or a Stratocatser to install a replacement neck with 24 frets onto a guitar without any major remodeling of the guitar itself. The longer they are, the weaker they are. You might get away with a one fret extension, but turning a 20-fret instrument into a 24-fret instrument requires you to have a lot of faith in an unsupported plank of wood that is about 3mm thick at best; particularly when you consider that fretboard woods are chosen specifically because they are hard woods (and thus prone to cracking).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!

Last edited by FatalGear41 : 05-13-2013 at 04:22 PM.
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #23
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_style
i think enough as it is, but i assume a 6 fret would be all that anyone really needs, but who want's to be seen with a neck that short?

Not really. I think most of the time I play on frets 5-10. It's more comfortable to play there and also sometimes you need the high notes. Sometimes I even use my 19th fret but that's for some more solo-ish stuff. But playing on frets 12-15 is pretty usual too. But I think it becomes pretty unpractical if you spend a lot of time higher than your 15th fret. Still, more frets don't hurt. But I don't need any more frets than 20. It's enough for me.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Not really. I think most of the time I play on frets 5-10. It's more comfortable to play there and also sometimes you need the high notes. Sometimes I even use my 19th fret but that's for some more solo-ish stuff. But playing on frets 12-15 is pretty usual too. But I think it becomes pretty unpractical if you spend a lot of time higher than your 15th fret. Still, more frets don't hurt. But I don't need any more frets than 20. It's enough for me.

but you could still be happy with 6 frets if you had to, right?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #25
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:

Maybe. If that was the only option, I could cope with it. But why limit yourself to just 6 frets? I see no point. I still use higher frets a lot.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:

those 6 frets won't be frets 1-6, so on the low E, you would be playing A#/Bb through E rather than low E to Bb. do you not physics?

and for the record, i use all 24 frets on all 4 strings to great length.

Last edited by Hail : 05-13-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #27
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

the more frets there are the more likely the intonation will screw with you, trick is to not pay attention to it, and also to not change anything that doesnt need to be changed. Want a 24 fret bass? buy one thats suitable for such things
slap-a-bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #28
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Maybe. If that was the only option, I could cope with it. But why limit yourself to just 6 frets? I see no point. I still use higher frets a lot.

sounds good to me. i just wanted 2 extra frets so i don't lose my balance and fall off stage is all.

what would be cool is 48 frets on a 24 string bass. of course it would be more like a table then.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #29
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap-a-bass
the more frets there are the more likely the intonation will screw with you, trick is to not pay attention to it, and also to not change anything that doesnt need to be changed. Want a 24 fret bass? buy one thats suitable for such things

my next one will be 24 if it also feels right with the neck and body and looks cool.

i didn't think about the fret numbers when i got this one.

sometimes del tacos soft tacos taste and smell like dog food with the beef in them. but anyway...
Old 05-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #30
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

LOL, i like that analogy
slap-a-bass is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: