Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
sweetdude3000

Can a good guitar instructor help with technique?

I am pretty much self-taught so I went to a guitar instructor for lessons to work on my technique and give me pointers on a song I could play. His response was that don't worry about technique, it will all work itself out in the end. He mainly wanted to teach stuff like new scales and the modes, which I found disappointing. Anyway, are there good instructors out there who can help you with your playing style or do most generally avoid doing that?
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

That instructor is an idiot and should not be teaching. A good teacher should be able to point out the flaws in your technique and tell you how to fix them. They will also teach you what you want to learn, not what they want to teach. Look for another teacher. I hope you get a better one next time.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
sweetdude3000

Thanks! That's exactly what I thought. Live and learn.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #4
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Yeah unfortunately that's not a teacher you've found, that's just some know-it-all with delusions of grandeur who's read some fancy words on the internet - bad luck but whilst that's sadly more common than it should be there's still more good teachers than bad out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
SebastianGrosu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdude3000
I am pretty much self-taught so I went to a guitar instructor for lessons to work on my technique and give me pointers on a song I could play. His response was that don't worry about technique, it will all work itself out in the end. He mainly wanted to teach stuff like new scales and the modes, which I found disappointing. Anyway, are there good instructors out there who can help you with your playing style or do most generally avoid doing that?

Get a real teacher, he (or she) is able to help you. I was also self-taught, and when I decided to get a teacher I regretted not doing it earlier.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
ellen82

Definately agree with all responses. I've had the same teacher for 12 years and she is the best thing since sliced bread. You need someone who knows what they're talking about, theory-wise and technique-wise. While I am in awe of people who self learn the guitar, I beleive you need the guidance from someone who knows what the hell they are talking about. And as someone said earlier, a great teacher teaches you the skills but also asks you what you want to learn. AND introduces you to the greats. I had no idea who Stevie Ray was till I started learning the guitar. In my opinion it's the only way to go to be able to play properly quickly, and it's more fun
ellen82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
BoogieShinbones

A good instructor who is also a good player = yes.
A good player who is not a good instructor = no.
A bad player should not be teaching (that doesn't seem to stop a lot of folks from teaching tho!).
Look for a good player who has conservatorium training/qualifications as a good start.

Last edited by BoogieShinbones : 05-12-2013 at 08:14 PM.
BoogieShinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I had a teacher who's a great teacher (when he bothers to call you back) but I've rarely seen him play anything so I don't have a clue if he can sweep, hybrid pick etc but he does teach it well. He gives me articles, videos, theory chapters and stuff.

I'm changing teachers because I text him and he texts me that he'll call me tomorrow but doesn't. There's only so many times I'll put up with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 05-13-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
sweetdude3000

Lesson learned. You have to be weary of some people passing themselves off as teachers, as they could probably be self-taught with bad habits themselves. In my opinion, a good teacher will want to work with you on the songs YOU want to play, rather than what the teacher is interested in. A good teacher will select a song based on your current skill level. From there, you can learn all you want about techniques and music theory in the context of the song, so you can actually see how it is applied. Learning theory without context is lame and gets old very fast. For example, if you want to learn about tapping or sequences, then select a Metallica song. instead of just picking random sequences and playing them over and over, it's more fulfilling in the end. I started picking up all that on my own, but I guess sometimes you have to see what's wrong to see what's right.

Rate This Thread: